E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Forge DV Maintenance

02-01-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Forge DV Maintenance

Hi All,

I removed my Forge DV's before I had my HPFP replaced and some vanos issues rectified as well. When I removed them I gave them a good clean as they had a little blow by oil inside.

Anyway am re-installing these this week and am wondering if I should lubricate them at all before I do the install.

Thanks in advance,

S
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
sorry to be off topic but can you go into detail about the VANOS issues you had? VANOS seems to be the 2009 HPFP
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd390r View Post
sorry to be off topic but can you go into detail about the VANOS issues you had? VANOS seems to be the 2009 HPFP
Vanos solenoid was kaput. Since it was replaced no issues (touch wood).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
sounds like my problem

did you see the actual fault you had or did the techs just do the work? remember what the fault said? (sorry to go off topic)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Hi All,

I removed my Forge DV's before I had my HPFP replaced and some vanos issues rectified as well. When I removed them I gave them a good clean as they had a little blow by oil inside.

Anyway am re-installing these this week and am wondering if I should lubricate them at all before I do the install.

Thanks in advance,

S
It's a good idea to relube them with a high temp grease like red mobil 1.

Pull the DV apart and smear the lube sparingly and thinly using your finger over all the moving parts. Reassemble and reinstall your chosen spring.

It's a good idea to service your DV's like this every 12 months or better still, at every oil change.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Vanos solenoid was kaput. Since it was replaced no issues (touch wood).
I'm sorry for the offtopic again but whats the side-effects of such problem?

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd390r View Post
sounds like my problem

did you see the actual fault you had or did the techs just do the work? remember what the fault said? (sorry to go off topic)
Car went into limp mode a couple of times before I was going to the track, so my SA read the codes for me which indicated some vano isssue had been present.

At the track it limped 5+ times so took it to the dealer the next week and they replaced one of the solenoids. Said if the problem came back then it would most likely be an issue with the camshafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
I'm sorry for the offtopic again but whats the side-effects of such problem?
Limp mode, typically for me it was at the 2nd to 3rd shift @ WOT.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
It's a good idea to relube them with a high temp grease like red mobil 1.

Pull the DV apart and smear the lube sparingly and thinly using your finger over all the moving parts. Reassemble and reinstall your chosen spring.

It's a good idea to service your DV's like this every 12 months or better still, at every oil change.
I would have thought a light oiling with engine oil would do the trick, not sure if I would want high temp grease in that part of the car
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

maintenance for the DVs? I didnt know that...sounds like trouble.If I knew I wouldn't have bought them

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Car went into limp mode a couple of times before I was going to the track, so my SA read the codes for me which indicated some vano isssue had been present.

At the track it limped 5+ times so took it to the dealer the next week and they replaced one of the solenoids. Said if the problem came back then it would most likely be an issue with the camshafts.

Limp mode, typically for me it was at the 2nd to 3rd shift @ WOT.

I am getting my car back from this EXACT same problem...First they replaced my VANOS solenoid...then it was cam shaft ledge, this time they replaced ALL VANOS solenoids, Crank Angle Sensor and the actual Camshaft!

I am hoping my random LIMP modes go away! Fingers crossed.

The Visible Errors I got were around "CAM SHAFT RETARD" error.. OBDII

Apparently there were several "hidden" codes, which were not disclosed by the dealer

And to the OP:

I had Bailey DV valves on my B5 S4 and I used Mobile 1 Synthetic lube (red color) on the internals...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
maintenance for the DVs? I didnt know that...sounds like trouble.If I knew I wouldn't have bought them
actually thats why i just cancel my order on the Forge DVs.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #12
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I would have thought a light oiling with engine oil would do the trick, not sure if I would want high temp grease in that part of the car
Using engine oil will only make its lubrication short term as it would dissipate. If you had opened up the DV's you would have noticed that they were originally assembled with a High Temp Grease which I'd bet is Mobile 1 Synthetic red lube (red in colour). This was taken from Forge Motorsports site: "We utilize ultra high temperature Viton brand silicone o-rings for sealing and Mobil1 fully synthetic bearing grease for lubrication" .

Like I stated previously apply/smear a very, very thin layer (less is more) so that it is barely visible on the moving piston assembly. Once assembled press on the piston to open and close it a couple of times to make sure it's working smoothly. Then using a cloth, clean of any excess when looking into the valves opening.

The reason for using High temp grease is so it stays in place in the DV at all temperatures and not travel into the intake manifold. Having no proper lubricant in the DV's will eventually cause the piston to stick and make the engine run erractically.............so proper lubrication is essential and to that affect, High Temp Grease is on the money.

This may help you in the maintenance of the valve and show you how to check it for proper operation and test to see if any leaks are present:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Divertor Valve Servicing.pdf (108.1 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by Sparky66; 02-02-2009 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #13
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Nothing new here............and it's not trouble, its' just basic maintenance for people that routinely like to check that it's operating at it's best.
This is no harder than cleaning an airfilter or changing the oil in your car.

Now heres the part that may interest you:

Truth is, most people will never have to open them up at all, as they are quite reliable if left alone but some people like Wopalx who cleaned them out, will have to relube them to restore the original High Temp Grease.

The original factory OEM valves were made to run 8psi boost. Once you add in a Tune, race gas, DP's, Dual Cone Air Filters FMIC etc. that increases the boost to 15+ psi, the original DV's may not hold Boost properly at peak load........and for reliability and consistancy of boost spooling and quick boost pressure relief, the Forge DV is the right solution for a engine that makes more power than factory standard.

Then again, if you think they are unnecessary because they are working for now, it's all good ....................but once you notice that the car starts showing signs of sporadic turbo lag or reduced power between shifts whilst under load at the expected higher boost targets or you notice boost spikes as a result of the valve not opening properly when lifting off the throttle. ..............it might be time to seek a more robust solution like the Forge DV's.

These DV's should not be considered as a performance enhancing product but more like a performance reliability product as you discover more HP/TQ increases.

Last edited by Sparky66; 02-02-2009 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Using engine oil will only make its lubrication short term as it would dissipate. If you had opened up the DV's you would have noticed that they were originally assembled with a High Temp Grease which I'd bet is Mobile 1 Synthetic red lube (red in colour). This was taken from Forge Motorsports site: "We utilize ultra high temperature Viton brand silicone o-rings for sealing and Mobil1 fully synthetic bearing grease for lubrication" .

Like I stated previously apply/smear a very, very thin layer (less is more) so that it is barely visible on the moving piston assembly. Once assembled press on the piston to open and close it a couple of times to make sure it's working smoothly. Then using a cloth, clean of any excess when looking into the valves opening.

The reason for using High temp grease is so it stays in place in the DV at all temperatures and not travel into the intake manifold. Having no proper lubricant in the DV's will eventually cause the piston to stick and make the engine run erractically.............so proper lubrication is essential and to that affect, High Temp Grease is on the money.

This may help you in the maintenance of the valve and show you how to check it for proper operation and test to see if any leaks are present:
Makes sense & thanks for the service guide
Appreciate 0