E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question about aftermarket speakers in a BMW

01-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
bigmoneygrip
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue 328i

Question about aftermarket speakers in a BMW

I have JL Audio speakers from my old car i want to put in my e90, but the tech at the speaker shop tells me it cant be done unless i re-wire my entire car and put in a new head unit. Does this sound right? I have never had a car that had to be completely re-wired just to add speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoneygrip View Post
I have JL Audio speakers from my old car i want to put in my e90, but the tech at the speaker shop tells me it cant be done unless i re-wire my entire car and put in a new head unit. Does this sound right? I have never had a car that had to be completely re-wired just to add speakers.
Your installer should have said first that those JL speakers may not fit in your E90 OEM mounts before coming up with the re-wiring and swapping HU crap...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Pug
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90

Quote:
Find a new shop, that guy is retarded. Or he thinks you're retarded and is trying to upsell you stuff you don't need.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
bigmoneygrip
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Your installer should have said first that those JL speakers may not fit in your E90 OEM mounts before coming up with the re-wiring and swapping HU crap...
we went through the fitment issue and I can understand that, but he basically said that that bmw and audi for that matter the speakers wont work b/c of the factory amplifier and some other b/s. I kinda thought he was full of shit but honestly I know nothing about stereo install so im unable to call his bluff.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
we went through the fitment issue and I can understand that, but he basically said that that bmw and audi for that matter the speakers wont work b/c of the factory amplifier and some other b/s. I kinda thought he was full of shit but honestly I know nothing about stereo install so im unable to call his bluff.
So far JL Audio has not come up with any shallow 4" components set that can properly fit the E9x chassis. Any other JL Audio component set installation will require a very custom job. That's a given...

However, so far any speaker connected to an amplifier uses some type of wires -unless there is some wireless receiver, fiber optics or magic inside that speaker- so for your installer to say that new wiring is required because of the OEM amp simply shows that you need to take your car somewhere else. You do not want this person touching your audio system...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
bigmoneygrip
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
So far JL Audio has not come up with any shallow 4" components set that can properly fit the E9x chassis. Any other JL Audio component set installation will require a very custom job. That's a given...

However, so far any speaker connected to an amplifier uses some type of wires -unless there is some wireless receiver, fiber optics or magic inside that speaker- so for your installer to say that new wiring is required because of the OEM amp simply shows that you need to take your car somewhere else. You do not want this person touching your audio system...
thanks for the help!!!!
Appreciate 0