BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Alarm Question DIY

Saw this tread..
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7536
Dont want the hassle of the alarm, dont think I really need it especially with bmw assist. (they know were my vehicle is all the time anyway) Just want to double check, will hooking this up alone make clown nose blink? I dont even want to hook up the siren or other stuff, just the device I need to....

Get my clown nose to blink!

I think the blinking light is enough of a deterrent.

Also by NOT having the light blinking when the vehicle is off, I think might invite theft...they know you DONT have the alarm.

Will the alarm kit they show in previous thread allow the clown nose to blink WITHOUT the dealer programming? Anyone know?
Thanks!
Also, I see my 1 has been "prewired" for the alarm system!? What does that mean?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
Also, I see my 1 has been "prewired" for the alarm system!? What does that mean?
that means the alarm kit is plug and play.
However, you will still need your SA to program and turn on the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

Just want to double check, will hooking this up alone make clown nose blink? I dont even want to hook up the siren or other stuff, just the device I need to....

Get my clown nose to blink!

I think the blinking light is enough of a deterrent.

You need the three parts, to make the clown nose blink. Installation is about 20-30 minutes.

Will the alarm kit they show in previous thread allow the clown nose to blink WITHOUT the dealer programming?

YES

Also, I see my 1 has been "prewired" for the alarm system!? What does that mean

It means you can hook up the three main parts needed to complete the alarm system. Once completed, you can either go to the dealer and have the software installed to complete the installation. Or just leave it alone and have a alarm that doesn't work, but a have blinking clown nose.
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep

Thanks JT,
Going to go 4 it.
I guess that it's prewired means I dont have to do all that wiring stuff that Chris K. mentioned?!
It means you can hook up the three main parts needed to complete the alarm system.
You know what 3 parts?
All I gotta do is plug it in?!
Thanks again for the input!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep

Thanks JT,
Going to go 4 it.
I guess that it's prewired means I dont have to do all that wiring stuff that Chris K. mentioned?!

You, sir are correct!

It means you can hook up the three main parts needed to complete the alarm system.
You know what 3 parts?
All I gotta do is plug it in?!

Just follow this DIY: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7536 and you will be good to go. It shows a picture of all the parts. I had no instructions, looked over the DIY before the install and had it installed in about 20-30 minutes. Good Luck!
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I have a hard time with going through all the trouble to buy it, install it - then not having it programmed. Just for a blinking clown light? When for a little more you could have everything working? Oh well, it's a free country (still).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

if i were you buy the alarm separately then scheduled for an appointment.
mine will be installed this tuesday. total cost. parts/labor/programming is $415 plus a bmw loaner!

not bad at all..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW Jetta

cant you order the alarm to be installed when you order your car? or does that run up the cost too much?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It has to be dealer installed for some reaon, it is not a factory installed option. I don't think they want sirens going off in the factory.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
It has to be dealer installed for some reaon, it is not a factory installed option. I don't think they want sirens going off in the factory.

That's why I dont want the alarm programmed or hooked up. Dont want the siren going off all the time. The alarm is just another annoyance IMHO. They are always going off in the middle of the night, during thunder storms, and in the case of my last MB...when the battery died!!....freeken alarm was going off every 45 minutes during the middle of the night during a snowstorm and couldnt shut the damn thing off, even with disconnecting the battery!!
Also as previously mentioned I think the clown nose is enought of a deterrant and BMW knows where your vehicle is all the time with BMW assist.
If your car gets stolen, just call BMW assist and they can locate it just like Lojack. Yeah if its the cars put in a container it wont show up but hey if they really want the car theyre gonna get it anyway!
They dont tell you this because they want you to buy the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It is not possible to have your 135i stolen, at least not in the traditional sense. It can only be stolen if someone breaks into your house and steals your key fob first. A BMW can't be hot wired or started with a screwdriver. The only other way it could be stolen is via a tow truck. The alarm, if programmed will at least go off if it is jacked up or put on a tow truck.

The blinking clown nose alone may be enough to prevent a crackhead from smashing your window to see what is in your trunk, but if there is anything valuable for him to steal visible in the car, probably not. Each to their own, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

for me the reason is... after the alarm being installed, i will call my car insurance let them know that i have installed alarm. probably my insurance will go down.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I purchased the alarm system from Dan at United (cheaper than Circle) today I had time to install the hood switch and the interior sensor but not the siren. My clown nose blinks now, so it does not even require all the pieces to activate the clown nose.
      01-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
lolo419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i

I ordered my 135i a week before xmas and my CA told me that the factory install is not an option. now this prewired is that doable by the factory?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo419 View Post
I ordered my 135i a week before xmas and my CA told me that the factory install is not an option. now this prewired is that doable by the factory?

Yes, it is prewired from the factory, to accept the the extra parts needed to complete the the alarm system, minus the programing.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
lolo419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Yes, it is prewired from the factory, to accept the the extra parts needed to complete the the alarm system, minus the programing.

Thx JiveTurkey
Appreciate 0