E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Any way to make US to Euro Headlights?

06-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
xeta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 330xi, 6MT

Any way to make US to Euro Headlights?

Is there anyway to remove or clear the amber in the xenon headlights to make them look like euros? Or would you need to buy a whole headlamp? I know DOT in the US states that you need at least an amber bulb.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Please search. This is probably the #1 most frequently asked question.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

yes you can by buying the euro spec headlights and replace the us ones
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

longtran was able to open a halogen headlamp and remove the amber part. Even for his skill level though, it looked messy, I wouldn't reccomend you try.

In the E46, it was easier, people would literally bake them in the oven, pull them out, and then pry it apart. A user on here (Richreg i believe) tried, and screwed up his xenons. Apparently, the bond is different from E46 and E90, so don't try baking it either.

In short, there does not appear to be a way to do this. I would PM EVO_S4 though, because he mentioned that he knows someone who did it successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeta
Is there anyway to remove or clear the amber in the xenon headlights to make them look like euros? Or would you need to buy a whole headlamp? I know DOT in the US states that you need at least an amber bulb.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

i looked at the headlight assembly this weekend and it's glued on there good...fromt he looks of it it's sealed with silicone which isnt the easiest thing to work loose.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter
i looked at the headlight assembly this weekend and it's glued on there good...fromt he looks of it it's sealed with silicone which isnt the easiest thing to work loose.
Funny, I did the same thing. I removed the headlight unit to inspect it more carefully (this past weekend). I was thinking I would take the amber and spray paint it silver. But there is no freaking way to get to it without breaking the super sealant surrounding the plastic. In addition, there is no way that I can disassemble the internal lighting component and reassemble it onto the clear euro unit. The only way is to buy the complete set and it is not cheap (that is for sure). Let me just say my obsession with it is over now that I've inspected the headlight more carefully.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
undien717
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZSP 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy View Post
In the E46, it was easier, people would literally bake them in the oven, pull them out, and then pry it apart. A user on here (Richreg i believe) tried, and screwed up his xenons. Apparently, the bond is different from E46 and E90, so don't try baking it either.
The e46 corner lamps are separate from the headlamps- you just switch them out w/ the euro ones if you want clears.
      01-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
n5160u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
My brother got stopped in Fremont, CA and got a fixit ticket for no front plate, clear fronts and blacked out rear lights. The law requires amber reflectors in the front and red in the rear. The only fix was to replace the fronts with legal fixtures and mount the external rear reflectors that came with the blacked out rears. You can pay off a fixit ticket but if you are busted a second time with the original ticket not corrected the results may not be very nice depending on where you call home. The cop in Fremont is on a one man crusade to be a modder's worst nightmare. He stopped my brother in front of his house and made it clear that if he did not get the items corrected he would be happy to find enough violations to get the car impounded for safety violations. They only need to find five items and he had three already. If the cop really wanted to be a dick he could have written him up for headlight aim, which would require a signoff by a repair shop for around $45 and asked him to set the parking brake and step in the gas with it in gear. If it moves you then need a brake inspection as well. Getting those two items signed off along with a signed certificate from a certified inspection station cost around a hundred bucks. Been there, done that after pissing off a cop a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy View Post
Actually it was RichP that attempted this on his E90 325, not myself.
I don't have that kind of courage.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

or u can pm msd82. he changed my amber reflector on my e90 to silver carbonfiber... just like the euros.

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0