BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Increase front camber by filing holes.

Is it convenient to file holes on front suspension top after have removed stock pins?

I removed pins, I put the camber at maximum available but I reached only half degree of negative camber.

I think that if I file the holes I can reach more camber. Someone did it? How much camber can I reach? Are there some problems such as corrosion or so on….?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
ocinek
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Not a very good idea; I would buy camber plates instead of filing down the holes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Our holes are slotted. You'd have to throw some paint on it or else it's exposed metal and will rust.

Easier to just get camber plates. You should be able to get 2 to 3 negative degrees with this. We slotted ours as our camber plates are maxed out and we needed more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freno a mano View Post
Is it convenient to file holes on front suspension top after have removed stock pins?

I removed pins, I put the camber at maximum available but I reached only half degree of negative camber.

I think that if I file the holes I can reach more camber. Someone did it? How much camber can I reach? Are there some problems such as corrosion or so on….?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

Thanks
We have a solution for you.

If you are still interested, please send us a PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks to all....

I sent a PM to Hp

Bye
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

At the end……

Camber plates like K-mac stage 1 are not reliable.

Camber plates with uniball are not good for street use.

Other camber plate like vorshlag are too expensive.

In next days I'll mill the holes by dremel.

A friend of my did it and he reached -1,5 degree, enough for my use of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Did you not try the lower wishbone kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

no, too expensive and can change some basic paramethers such as ackermann angle, bump steer, and roll steer
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
emongoose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

New to the subject... what makes the K-Mac design unreliable? Do other members of the forum feel the same way?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #10
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

not in this forum, but in other forums everyone who use it has had bad experiences....
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
no, too expensive and can change some basic paramethers such as ackermann angle, bump steer, and roll steer
And you think changing the camber angle has no effect on other parameters.....
      12-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Only if you have tried t\he lower wishbone links for added camber, better roll center, wider front track, deflection free inner joint instead of the soft rubber bushing found on the stock 135i wishbones. In addition, your strut tower can stay beautiful without not so great looking holes and rust!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

FWIW, I also slotted them by an extra 1/4", which got me another 1 degree of negative camber. I'm at -1.6 deg right now. Used some primer and alpine white paint in the slot, but really, moving it around at all (additionally slotted or not) is going to scrape the paint.

I have KMacs on my 332ti, and I do not like them at all. Basically camber plates are supposed to make it easy to go between camber angles. Since the KMac plates allow for fore and aft, as well as side to side, with the same adjustment bolts, it's extremely easy to do things you had not intended.

I am all for decent camber plates, but the KMac stage 1 do not fall into that category, in my opinion, by a long shot.

Looking at those M3 wishbone arms, they seems to also be a good alternative, or even in addition to the slots, IMO. It has me thinking about the combination of those and my current setup getting me close to -2.5, for autocross purposes, with the ability to dial out camber easily (for street purposes) as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #14
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks larryn,

1/4" is 6 mm... is there that space?

I think to slot them about 4 or 5 mm....

Have you a picture?

You added 1 degree only by this modification?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 01:46 AM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
FWIW, I also slotted them by an extra 1/4", which got me another 1 degree of negative camber. I'm at -1.6 deg right now. Used some primer and alpine white paint in the slot, but really, moving it around at all (additionally slotted or not) is going to scrape the paint.

I have KMacs on my 332ti, and I do not like them at all. Basically camber plates are supposed to make it easy to go between camber angles. Since the KMac plates allow for fore and aft, as well as side to side, with the same adjustment bolts, it's extremely easy to do things you had not intended.

I am all for decent camber plates, but the KMac stage 1 do not fall into that category, in my opinion, by a long shot.

Looking at those M3 wishbone arms, they seems to also be a good alternative, or even in addition to the slots, IMO. It has me thinking about the combination of those and my current setup getting me close to -2.5, for autocross purposes, with the ability to dial out camber easily (for street purposes) as well...
Add the M3 lower wishbones and let me know how much more you get, should be another -0.5 to -0.75
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
emongoose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I noticed that the Vorshlag camber plate uses a spherical bearing. Are the Vorshlag units good for combination track and street use? I've used sway bar end-links with spherical rod ends in the past and they were always noisy and in need of tightening (IMHO, not acceptable for a street car that goes autocrossing a couple times a month, but sees daily street service).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #17
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks larryn,

1/4" is 6 mm... is there that space?

I think to slot them about 4 or 5 mm....

Have you a picture?

You added 1 degree only by this modification?

There's not much to see in a picture. Mikeo, another moderator here, measured negative camber with the alignment pin removed, and got -.6 deg. I did not measure mine in that state, but did measure it with the pin removed and the slot dremeled another 1/4". I am at -1.6 deg right now.

My sweet spot for front camber for autocross is around -2.5 deg, which I should be a lot closer to, if I add those M3 sourced lower wishbone arms. They are def on my short list (now that I know they exist) for next season's late winter mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #18
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks,

I removed the pins and I reached little more than 30' that is the same of your 0,60 in decimal scale.

Now I'll dremel the holes as you!

I hope to reach 1 ° aand 30' !
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks,

I removed the pins and I reached little more than 30' that is the same of your 0,60 in decimal scale.

Now I'll dremel the holes as you!

I hope to reach 1 ° aand 30' !
Show us some photos of your work!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Add the M3 lower wishbones and let me know how much more you get, should be another -0.5 to -0.75
These parts are presumably longer, increasing the track and increasing the negative camber in the process. If that is the case, they will also reduce fender lip clearance won't they? As this clearance is already an issue requiring modification of the fender liner, won't fitting of wider front wheels or tires become more problematic?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #21
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
These parts are presumably longer, increasing the track and increasing the negative camber in the process. If that is the case, they will also reduce fender lip clearance won't they? As this clearance is already an issue requiring modification of the fender liner, won't fitting of wider front wheels or tires become more problematic?
Since you are pushing out the bottom of the wheel, those M3 sourced parts will cant the upper portions in more.. towards the strut.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

if i'm reading this correctly:

the wishbone kit will put the top of the wheel closer to the strut, thus reducing clearance there, and increasing fender clearance. the same width wheel/tire should fit as without the wisbone kit, but will need slightly higher offsets or thin spacers to clear the strut (assuming minimal spacing from the tire to the strut with stock wishbones. they have no effect on the angle of the strut, just the wheel?

sound right?

has anyone combined the wishbones with camber plates? how much camber did you get? what wheel/tire/spacer combination did you use in the front?

front camber with this car seems like its weak point... my e46 M3 was set at -2.5 for the street and -3.5 for the track. -1 is unacceptable on the track for a car of this weight, with such front tire width restrictions.
Appreciate 0