BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Factory Bluetooth, maybe even assist- only coding left to go!!!

First off- all of you out there that say that factory bluetooth retrofit is not possible- wrong! Sorry I had to clarify that because a couple threads on here have posts that say it cannot be done- shocking really because our cars are pre-wried.

Now here's where I am at:

$360 shipped, factory retrofit kit from an e90 includes TCU- produced up to 4/08, the second most current model, overhead console with assist button, microphone, and antenna.

Plugged in the TCU in the trunk and secured it to the bracket- it sits in the same bracket as the ipod/usb M-ULF.

Removed overhead console- this is rumored to be a royal pain, and it is if you don't pay attention. But the two spotlights on the console have flat parts (ie not round) facing the front of the car- these indicate exactly where to put the trim removal tool to pop the clips holding it in. So I removed that did all the plugs, put the microphone in and put it back in. Now, it came from an e90 and is grey but the e90/1/2/3 use a different grey interior than the 1 which has "alaskagrau" so it is just a hint too light but not noticeable if you weren't told. I cross checked the part numbers of the overhead consoles and confirmed that the e90 series and the e82 series both here and europe share one of these overhead consoles in black so the deduction was that the internals are the same and thus I am not buying a $300 console to get the perfect shade of gray on my leased car.

Installed the antenna below the steering wheel. You have to look to the driver side a bit to find the coaxial antenna connector but it's there, wrapped in its black protecting fabric, like the trunk cables.

Did all that last weekend and then this weekend decided to tackle the fiber optic cables behind the driver side corner backrest- it just pops off. Once it’s off you can see the most boxes and the ring where the cables wrap around- at this point I followed the e90 instructions (attached)- removed the first bottom pin from the top box (you take a TINY screwdriver and gently lift the little tab holding the fiber optic plug down and then pull the plug out gently). To ensure this was the one to the Bluetooth TCU I unplugged the fiber optic harness from there (black rectangular plug) and put in the light. BINGO- light came through to the fiber optic that I had unplugged. So then I plugged this one into the number 2 bottom pin on the bottom distributor- the live one- and then that one back into the top box where I had removed it from and then labeled them. I chose the number two pin because it was the last one on the lower box with a cable attached. (the e90 instructions say you can put it in anyone of these bottom ones but the picture showed them removing it from the last pin with a cable so that’s what I did)
A caveat here- the MOST boxes are, as stated in lannypoffo’s thread, here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14825, upside down (thank’s to lannypoffo for being the first to mess with the MOST cables!)- So you have to take the cover off with a small screwdriver and then turn them over and then you’re looking at them as you would in the e90 instructions, except upside down.

Now that those were hooked up I put the key in and started her up. All the factory stuff still works- ipod/usb, radio, cd player, so I know I didn’t screw up the MOST on those! The I clicked the menu button and there it was, displayed- both PHONE and ASSIST!!!
SO I go through the pairing process and it pairs up. Here’s the only downside- it needs coding- but I knew that. The TCU is called BMW 90xxx, the last five of the prior owner’s VIN, and my car is 23473- and the instructions on screen say that it should be called BMW 23473- so right there I know it needs to be coded to my car. BUT, it pairs right UP!!! I can make calls through the phone and answer them in the car and I can hear the other side through the stereo speakers. It is not so loud so I’m going to have to get the factory loudspeaker for below the steering wheel.

Because it’s not coded, the steering wheel controls and some of the radio controls don’t respond as well as the microphone, so obviously it needs to be coded to get it all working with my car. But, with very little cost and effort, I am almost there.

I will keep the thread updated as I plan on doing coding this week, hoping to get it done at EAS on Friday, Tom said the coding fee was $99. So, if I can get it coded for handsfree phone with no assist like the prior owner had, then I got a factory Bluetooth system for about $460!!!! I may even go for the full assist and see if I can get it for less than the factory option :thumbup:

If It all works out, which I am now pretty confident it will, I’ll try to get some more detail posts up with pictures.

I am not responsible for anything you all try on your own, this is just a reference and not instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 Bluetooth Retrofit - with Preparation.pdf (743.7 KB, 2421 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

an update-

either the coding is needed to activate the microphone, or I have a bad microphone because it seems that everything is working, I figured out the steering wheel controls this morning, so I can call and receive calls I just can't talk!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

I already have that Bluetooth box in my trunk. I wonder if that is the same thing as the TCU? It has a Bluetooth icon on it.

oh killer writeup too, thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

is it mounted on the bottom half of the bracket? if so it is the ipod/usb MULF which can be coded to do bluetooth in europe but the consensus is that it will not work for bluetooth here, sucks I know but the germans have their wiring ways! I am going to see if I can borrow my brother's microphone to test it out, then I'll know for sure if it doesn't because of the whole assist set-up which is blocking out the mic for some reason or if it's just a bad mic.

If it's just a bad mic then I'll buy one and forget the coding!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

The box on the right is the box I have in my car. I've been told its not the right box.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yea the bluetooth tcu goes above that and mounts to the 4 bolts on the top of that bracket. The cables for it are wrapped up in the larger of the two cable sets, the smaller went to the sirius box as you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I messed around with the MOST cables some more today to see if I could get around coding and they are definitely in the right position- every other combo didn't have the ipod or the usb or the aux, and some didn't have the phone and others the assist. When I first turn the car on it gives the SOS behind like a no smoking circle- ie the SOS system error so I am figuring this is what's causing the assist and the microphone attached to the same panel to not work- I can see BMW deciding to tie the microphone to this just to disable the whole calling system so that you have to go get it coded. Anyway I check my brothers 128i and the phone system should be called BMW XXXXX (last five of the VIN) when displayed on the phone. Right now it displays BMW 90XXX and for my car it should be BMW 23473, so I am hoping once I get the coding done it will all work out!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

appointment set for friday with tom @ eas, hopefully can get her coded and up and running
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

heading to EAS for coding...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Coding isn't going to give you assist. You have to buy a subscription.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^1 I know, 2, there's an issue with the coding and the microphone and being able to update it, tom @ eas is a great guy and didn't charge me for today. He's sending all the info on the session and my car to autologic in europe and hopefully will have a response next week. I'm picking up a nice set of sport leatherette seats tomorrow am and will have those in and then need to get those coded (noticed the sport seat coding button on the autologic machine and tom said he can do this for me) so I'll have a thread up for those as well

as for the phone... on the far negative end the TCU may only be able to be coded to one car per the vin which would be a bummer

I'll keep everyone posted

and as tom said, a last resort would be the dealer
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
NY SLC 93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Suscribed, I want to do this! Since I have i-drive I think that have the mic and speakers for the system correct? Is the TCU the only thing I need? Do I need another overheard console? I don't want the BMW assist, only the Bluetooth to use the phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you probably have the mic if you have to enter any sort of voice commands, the speakers are fine from the factory, the loudspeaker is not needed as the phone comes through the factory speakers. To the phone system: I have decided that the Assist feature is what is holding the system back, I think it's some combo of the tcu and overhead console not being programmed to the car's VIN number that prevent the mic from being used. If you went the MULF route- no assist capability then you could pick up one of those for a few hundred dollars online (ebay from european sellers) but your voice prompts for the phone would be in german, though I think it would work for the phone easily, because the autologic unit did seem to be able to program an MULF. I think the overhead console is needed only for assist, but no matter what you do I think it needs to be programmed to work right. The only other thing you would need is the bluetooth antenna.
The main problem is the coding.

I got an email from Brent at Crevier BMW service here and after a week looking into it here's what he came back with: "I have researched this for you and at this time we are unable to complete your request. BMW would not endorse the repair and we would not be able to stand behind any technical issues that would arise. They are in the process Of developing a solution, but nothing has been released yet." That was rather discouraging but I am trying to think of ways around it.
the one I thought of is to maybe try the coding through the CIP (coding, individualization, and programming) path for the e90 three and code that onto the TCU/radio/overhead console and see if we can't pull a fast one on the car, the cars share the same part numbers for all three so this may be a possibility, though it likely wouldn't work.

I'll keep the updates coming though...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #15
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

SUCCESS!!

UPDATE- IT WORKS!!!!!! Okay well after two tries at EAS we decided that there had to be something else and Tom, who was extremely helpful on this install got me a copy of the e81 prewired instructions- it came down to switching 3 pins in this little plug on the passenger side. The e81 instructions are attached and they apply to the e82.

Here's where I am at- I can do voice dialing- it's kind of a lame voice dialing system but it does work. I can do regular calling as well. The TCU still registers as the last 5 of the vin from the e90 it was in but who cares, it works so the car is fooled. With the 3er FZD installed I can call the assist people and talk to them- they have no car info or location but I can contact them, so I may or may not sign up for assist.

So once and for all, YES the factory phone system can be retrofitted!!! And, for under $400 it was a great deal!

again special thanks to tom @ eas and everyone at eas- great staff and great things going on there- they have a high gloss window trim retrofit about to start on their 135i- involves new rear windows, but should be interesting to hear about the process
Attached Images
File Type: pdf e82 Bluetooth.pdf (396.3 KB, 2030 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
So you are saying that you did NOT need any coding at all? If that is so....BIG thumbs up...a project I will definitely look into.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
So you are saying that you did NOT need any coding at all? If that is so....BIG thumbs up...a project I will definitely look into.
You absolutely need coding after installation.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #18
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^but the Aftermarket BT solution you guys have come up with (in the commercial forum) does not need coding correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
^^^but the Aftermarket BT solution you guys have come up with (in the commercial forum) does not need coding correct?
The mObridge kit emulates the factory piece and needs activation as well.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #20
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
This is a great and informative post. Where exactly did you order the E90 retrofit kit from?
      02-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
This is a great and informative post. Where exactly did you order the E90 retrofit kit from?
ebay!
      04-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #22
quicksilv86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 530d 2012 Pre LCI

Hello, and sorry for my english, i'm french.
I would like to retrofit Bluetooth in my car (BMW 123d E81 built in november 2007) but i need help.
I already have the USB option and so the MULF2 box in the trunk.
I know i Need to buy this
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=84&fg=95
I had a look on your retrofit manual for my car E81 and i think i only need to install the mic and the bluetooth antenna (i think i already have the fiber optic..)
It's seems to be difficult for me because i have never made a bluetooth retrofit (i'm novice) and i have just bought my car..But i don't want a Parrot kit.
So i have many questions:
-where i can buy tools to remove the dash (the fake credit cards for example..and the tools to remove the plactic overheat to install the mic)
-nobody have the installation retrofit in french..
-about the bluetooth activation and programmation : i really need to go to the dealer? I can't make it my self? And what is the difference between the activation and the programmation? Because i can have bluetooth even if i have a german voice..

Thanks in advance,

Quicksilv86
Appreciate 0