BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Number of guests you are bringing?
none 0 0%
1 1 100.00%
>1 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

07-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Pittsburgh 1ers

Getting my 135i, titanium silver with red/black interior and BMW performance mods by August 10th anyone want to meet up with theirs before I go back to Penn State August 23rd?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

whats goin on?

where are you getting the work done and what performance mods?

My 1 goes in tomorrow at P&W for the Dinan chip... i'm pumped.

I'd be willing to hang out...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Wow...times sure have changed when the kids at Dear Old State tool around in Bimmers. (When I was your age, we had to deal with '80s - '90s econoboxes, and we LIKED it!)

I expect to see a picture of your 135i in front of the Lion Shrine, Beaver Stadium, and the Creamery as soon as classes begin.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

I'm also down for any gtg. Let me know.

No performance mods here. Too scared to do it out of warranty.

fshow, you finally passed break-in!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshowcars View Post
whats goin on?

jkp1187 Wow...times sure have changed when the kids at Dear Old State tool around in Bimmers. (When I was your age, we had to deal with '80s - '90s econoboxes, and we LIKED it!) I expect to see a picture of your 135i in front of the Lion Shrine, Beaver Stadium, and the Creamery as soon as classes begin.

Kokanator135 I'm also down for any gtg. Let me know.

No performance mods here. Too scared to do it out of warranty.

fshow, you finally passed break-in!!

fshowcars - I'm getting the work done right at the dealership, it gets the work done as soon as it gets delivered...I got the 18 inch BMW Performance Wheels and the BMW Performance exhaust. So when I pick it up and drive it the first day the work will already be done. I was thinking of that Dinan chip for next year, I might put in the BMS Dual Intake also while its in the shop

jkp1187 - I actually am at Penn State Behrend, but I could definitely take a picture of all that once I get upto a football game, ya I know it was a really generous gift from my dad

Kokanator135 - I'm not completely sure about this but I think BMW is doing something like Mini Cooper does with Cooper Works, that the new BMW Performance Parts are actually now not voiding any warranties, thats why my dad and I chose those parts out of all the others, but I would ask the dealership before doing that though
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
So I will definitely let you guys know as soon as my 135 comes in, and we could schedule somewhere to meet up, lets try and make it bigger maybe 10 or so cars if we could, meet at like a starbucks downtown..?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

dude... you can't mean starbucks in the william penn lol!!! lets try to go somewhere where i can park far far away from people lol.

you're right... the Dinan chip is covered by a Dinan warranty that is accepted by BMW... the new BMW performance line is all OEM and fully warrantied... I tried to wait out the BMW flash, but I speculate it's the OEM flash of the 09 Tii and they dont' want to release numbers? BMW will not give a date that it will be availible for the 1 series...

I'm rolling around in the 328i wagon loaner! and i agree that i didn't have anything quite this nice in college! lol... but then again college was only a matter of years ago and the times are surely changing, and fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshowcars View Post
whats goin on?

So P&W is a Dinan dealer, too? That's cool. As long as they're close in price, I'll probably go with them; I could walk to them from the new townhouse we're under contract to buy....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
So P&W is a Dinan dealer, too? That's cool. As long as they're close in price, I'll probably go with them; I could walk to them from the new townhouse we're under contract to buy....

yup! it's there while we speak. Sounds good... i'm frequently in shady side and that area... they have been decent so far (as a dealership goes).

I'll report back when i get the car back... Did you get a price from anyone else? I thought P&W were the only local dinan installer?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Haven't gotten any prices yet, just did a test drive. I'm doing Euro Delivery, and we're not taking our vacation until March or April...so I'm waiting until we close on the house first, then will wait until the 2009s come out before getting a price and putting down a deposit.

And yes, considering that I'm at least 8 months away from delivery, my wife has already made comments about my apparent "obsession" with BMWs lately....lol
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So let's make the gathering place Shadyside. From the sounds of things, we have one living there, one making frequent trips, and I work at the hospital (matter of fact, @ work and bored as I type this....they're lucky to have me!!). Downtown's not that far, 135PSU.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Don't know if I count yet, since I won't have my 1'er until next year. Unless you want to look at the Impala.... (Hey -- it is lowered with Vogtland springs.... :wink
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
shadyside is fine, I live in Peters Township, so its not too bad of a drive, I just got word, we are picking up my 135 August 15th or 16th, so I'm good for August 21st or 22nd to meet up since I work so much..? or is that a bad day for everyone, I could also do monday the 18th?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'd rock the Impala...in the winter!! J/k, man. It's not about the car, it's about the state of mind (a.k.a. going nuts and checking this site 5x/day until your car arrives:wub. I've since sated my addiction in driving my one for about 2 months now, except for evil drivers like fshow tempting me with Dinan goodies!!

I should get my work schedule next week, so I'll let everyone know what I can do to get together.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Good -- then I'll try to join up if I can in between starting this new job and buying a house!

Maybe someone can convince me that spending the extra $$$ on the 135i is worth it, too....

(And I'm not giving up the Impala -- as long as it survives this winter, I plan on sending it to my dad's house in New Castle for his use after I get my 1'er.)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Good -- then I'll try to join up if I can in between starting this new job and buying a house!

Maybe someone can convince me that spending the extra $$$ on the 135i is worth it, too....

(And I'm not giving up the Impala -- as long as it survives this winter, I plan on sending it to my dad's house in New Castle for his use after I get my 1'er.)
Well you will be able to look at everyone else's 1 er, im going to have about 10 mods on my car in that first week of having it completed, i just finalized my list of everything if anyone wants to see and give an opinion?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iPSU View Post
Well you will be able to look at everyone else's 1 er, im going to have about 10 mods on my car in that first week of having it completed, i just finalized my list of everything if anyone wants to see and give an opinion?

Put up that list, man!! I can give my aesthetic opinion, but someone more expert than I should chime in on the value of any performance mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #18
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanator135 View Post
Put up that list, man!! I can give my aesthetic opinion, but someone more expert than I should chime in on the value of any performance mods.
Well so far there is:
-BMS Dual Cone Intake
-BMS JB1
-BMW Performance Exhaust
-BMW Performance Wheels powder coated black or gunmetal
-BMW Shadowline grill
-BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid
-BMW M side walk in plates
-BMW black M logo license plate frame and valve stem caps
-Red Painted Calipers

So some arent performance mods at all, but thats everything I'm doing to the car within the first few days of having it. If anyone has any input on how it will look after being put together now is the time to speak up haha before it gets put on, so lets hear it guys
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #19
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Sounds like a good list. I'd be interested in hearing why you're going with BMS JB1 over Dinan (not a criticism or anything, just sort of doing my own 'research' -- I don't know much about either company).

I think a light color like Titanium Silver or AW + the shadowline grille and carbon fiber spoiler will be tight, along with the dark wheels. Have you thought about tinting your taillights, too? Might kind of complete the picture.

The only thing I'd hesitate over is the dual cone intake. It's the inevitable debate over hot air intake vs. cold air intake -- cold air is better for performance, so any 'open cone' configuration is always going to be sucking in some hot air and theoretically not as good as a cold air box w/cone inside configuration. At speed (on the track), it might have some gains even above a completely enclosed cold air box, because the ductwork is directing the air directly at the cones, but for daily driving, waiting at a stoplight, it's just going to be sucking hot air from the engine and turbos. (I'm also leery of the second cone behind the first one, instead of in a position to equally share the fresh air...since there's no ram-air scoop on the hood, I wonder if that second cone is just going to be sucking in hot air regardless of speed.) It does look cool, though, and I'm sure it'll sound awesome so if that is what you were going after, definitely go for it.

(And please take all of this with a grain of salt -- I'm not an expert on this by any means, just the things I've picked up lurking in car forums for the past few years.)

EDIT: Oh, one more thing -- any suspension mods planned? I'll bet that H&R 20mm rear sway bar will really get rid of the understeer. You'll definitely need a few tweaks to keep all that extra power under control.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 01:12 AM   #20
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I did consider tinting the taillights actually...is that legal in PA? that was my only concern on that one...Now good point on the Dual Cone Intake, never thought of that actually, my only question would be, who makes a good Cold Air for the 135i? if there is a nice one out there i will be the first to say yes haha

How much is that H&R 20mm rear sway bar, i might get that instead of the intake?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #21
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
and also, DINAN is very expensive, especially engine tuning wise, 2k for the top of the line works, is alittle steep, plus to top that ll off, my dealer rep told me that they are currently thinking about taking DINAN off of the 1 series list to warranty if any engine tuning is done because it is blowing the transmission in almost every car that has had it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #22
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iPSU View Post
I did consider tinting the taillights actually...is that legal in PA? that was my only concern on that one...Now good point on the Dual Cone Intake, never thought of that actually, my only question would be, who makes a good Cold Air for the 135i? if there is a nice one out there i will be the first to say yes haha

How much is that H&R 20mm rear sway bar, i might get that instead of the intake?
The rear sway is $160.00 + shipping from TireRack, though you might be able to get a cheaper price from another vendor. I'd caution you, though, that by reports I've seen online here that this is definitely not a DIY job -- the rear subframe has to be dropped to snake it in there -- I have no idea on installation costs from a shop. The front sway bar (apparently, a much easier job) is $253.00. It may be wise to put both bars on the car.

There's also a front and rear sway bar kit from Eibach on Tire Rack for $377.

Some threads on sway bars:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...460#post200460
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...170#post198170

Regarding the dual cone intake setup, someone else on here pointed out that it looks like the heat shield seals against the inside of the hood. (It's hard to tell from the photos). Even if it did and there were no other gaps through which hot air could come in, I still think the second cone isn't adding much. I'm really interested to see what Riss Racing's setup is going to look like.

I don't know what your budget is, but have you considered the official BMW performance suspension? For some reason, it includes a front, not a rear sway bar, but the lowering springs + sport dampers will probably make it a tighter ride altogether.

On the taillight tints, yeah, I'm not 100% on the rules in Pa. (and I should've thought of that before I posted). I did find this, however: 67 PACS sec. 153. It's pretty long, but just by looking at it, I'm more or less convinced that I don't want any part of taillight tinting unless it's via an easily-removable cover (or it's for a show car).

Interesting comment about DINAN from the dealer! Actually, I'd be surprised if BMW ever explicitly warranted DINAN products....I'm sure it was more along the lines of DINAN provided the warranty on their products (and anything that might be damaged because of a fault in their products,) and BMW just worked with them with regard to warranty claims. (Dealers hate mods, and will always look for a way to not do warranty work regardless of who provides it....) It does look like BMW is trying to keep DINAN at arm's length nowadays....

By the way, the dealer can't void your warranty in a blanket sense just because you have a mod. He can only avoid warranty coverage if the part broken occured due to the mod. So if you install an aftermarket ECU and then the Sirius radio stops working, that should still be covered under warranty. (Of course, if it's something wrong with the engine, they might dig their heels in and just say that since it's engine-related, it's due to your aftermarket tuning.) They can definitely make it hard to make a warranty claim if it's obvious you modded your car. In fact, one of the 'official' BMW vendors here even said something to the effect of: take off your engine mods before you take your car in for warranty service.

Oh, and one other 'performance' mod I'd definitely do (especially in THIS town): mudguards.
Appreciate 0