BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Angry NY Drivers - Driver's Responsibility Assessment

That "Drivers Resonsibility Assessment Statement" is a bunch of horse crap. I've never heard of such extortion.

Wind it back 3 weeks. I was sitting in NYC traffic for over two hours. Stopped.. I mean 0mph for 2+hrs. Traffic starts moving about 30mph then stops again. Some yahoo is in the breakdown lane in a suburban, door swings open, walks out into the stopped traffic, flashes a badge, points at me to get over to the breakdown lane (when traffic starts moving again).

I pull over and incredulously get told that "I clocked you at 74 in a 55mph zone". I said traffic was stopped for the past two+ hours, and he responded "I clocked you at 74 in a 55 mph zone.".

So, in light of traveling back to NYC to fight it, I pay the freaking thing. First speeding ticket in 15 years.

Well in the mail today, I get a "Drivers Responsibility Assessment". That after reading it, surmounts to a FINE FOR PAYING THE INITIAL FINE!!! An additional $300 or they issue a bench warrant for you that your state can arrest you for! WTF! I freaking HATE NY. My only redeeming thing I can even think about NY is that A-Rod is taking them to the bank for doing diddly-squat.

Again... This is extortion, and seems incredibly blatantly illegal to fine somebody for paying a fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Larry - found this, what the heck? : http://www.nytrafficlawyer.com/drive...nt-program.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I know. I have a piece of paper with that along with my "Assessment". I also read that it was passed in a very late night session with a minimal majority, enacted to solely produce revenue.

It's right up with with the horse crap "Javits Tax".
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Xii
Private
Rep
Drives:

WOW wtf how the hell did he "clock" you if traffic was stopped for the last two hours...that is some B.S. right there! Remind me to not drive my 1er through New York. That Driver Assessment Program is some shady stuff right there...

That has to be purely for producing revenue.
Upcoming Mods: Window Tint, Quad Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Now that is a classic ! I thought Australia was the land of the blatant revenue raising but wow... fined extra for three years running after getting the original fine. It seems like a great way to get extra revenue for nothing. Awesome... I will wait for it to happen here next.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

nyc is pretty rough, i have seen cops pull wrong cars for violations all the time. Sometimes, they just catch somebody.

So sad, it kind of refutes all the good work that is done by the great police officers around the country. I love the hard work they do, as long as its not speeding tickets. hehe
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
GQ 135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

That's NY for ya
      07-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I hate the city. I work there 3 days a week for the summer, and that is already too much for me. The worst, rudest, most arrogant people. The bitchiest cops (though to be fair, they have a tough job when assigned on real duties, it's a dangerous place; I admire that). The stupidest laws (350 dollar fine for honking. I get you wanna keep the peace, but seriously..)

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Zoomer
1er Fan
Rep
Drives:

And here I was thinking that CT had the worst laws for speeding.

Sorry Larry that you had to endure such idiocy in NY. I'm surprised that NYC is like that - at least when I speed down the Henry Hudson I guess I'm just lucky.. I don't do it too often, but when I'm there I typically don't worry about the speeding laws, but I guess that's about to change!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
EmeraldRx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Was it Hwy Patrol? Those guys are tough. They don't bend for anything! I was pulled over years ago on the Hen Hud coming from the Diamond Dist. with a receipt for an engagement ring and no mercy at all. Another time in queens Hwy Pat got me and my Bro-In-Law(bronx cop) called him and no flex at all.

1987 Corvette Convertible-29k mi
1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer
2008 Nissan Armada (wifes)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

No markings on the SUV, and I don;t know the cop uniforms in NY... I don't know what municipality he was. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 07:13 AM   #12
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

I got a similar ticket on the west side highway 3 years ago. I was going with traffic at or just above the speed limit in the right lane - being passed by the middle and left lane people. A cop standing on the shoulder flashed a badge and stopped me. He told me that he clocked me 16 over.

Decided to fight it in court, judge didn't even listen to me. It's a f***ing racket.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I guess because you did pay, you "admit" guilt and there is no point in fighting it. Damn. Too bad you didn't have a camera. You could have documented it and vid the situation, along with the bad cop. Post that on youtube for the world to see.

Time to talk to Michael Moore for a new Docudrama?

BTW, even though you did "pay" can you not make a formal complaint? Even if it doesn't help you, if this cop gets enough complaints he should have to answer to a board? Just a thought.

Also would you not have his name/badge number on your copy of the ticket?

Now that you have told us this? Other than avoiding NY, which many cannot do, what should we do differently when we are forced to drive in NY?

Wholly crap, this is an old post, didn't check the date earlier... maybe I should not have posted... bring up bad karma?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
cyberbro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
That "Drivers Resonsibility Assessment Statement" is a bunch of horse crap. I've never heard of such extortion.

Wind it back 3 weeks. I was sitting in NYC traffic for over two hours. Stopped.. I mean 0mph for 2+hrs. Traffic starts moving about 30mph then stops again. Some yahoo is in the breakdown lane in a suburban, door swings open, walks out into the stopped traffic, flashes a badge, points at me to get over to the breakdown lane (when traffic starts moving again).

I pull over and incredulously get told that "I clocked you at 74 in a 55mph zone". I said traffic was stopped for the past two+ hours, and he responded "I clocked you at 74 in a 55 mph zone.".

So, in light of traveling back to NYC to fight it, I pay the freaking thing. First speeding ticket in 15 years.

Well in the mail today, I get a "Drivers Responsibility Assessment". That after reading it, surmounts to a FINE FOR PAYING THE INITIAL FINE!!! An additional $300 or they issue a bench warrant for you that your state can arrest you for! WTF! I freaking HATE NY. My only redeeming thing I can even think about NY is that A-Rod is taking them to the bank for doing diddly-squat.

Again... This is extortion, and seems incredibly blatantly illegal to fine somebody for paying a fine.

I agree but I have had some of the same BS in Boston, it's all the big city's they are all full of it and look to drivers as a source of revenue and not visitors.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #15
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Driving in NYC is like sitting in a class and hoping deperately not to get called on. You have to do your very best at blending in and not making eye contact with the cops. "Fly casual" as Han Solo put it.