BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
greyvents
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

superguard or not?

hey guys, hv been off the boards for ages as hv been busy enjoying my 120d! :biggrin:

did any of you go for superguard paint protection? my dealer called me up and has offered to do it for me.

am wondering if this is worth doing and if its ok to hv it done a month after the car has been on the road?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

clear bra is a very good idea. Do a search, you will read about how many ppl drive home and get stone chip. Then go and get it done after the fact. Oh maybe it also depends on the roads between your dealership and your house. Some ppl may drive on gravel etc. USA is known the their roads. (pot holes you can see China)

I will say this, I got mine at the dealer, and I think I should have not done that. I won't say all the headaches I have had yet. But it's not the fault of the clearbra for the problems. (ppl problems)

Consider getting the "contract" in writing. There is an issue with getting the drivers side mirror covered with 2 pieces. It will whistle at 120 km/h for some. I am one of them. Yet to get it fixed. 1 whole piece is the way to go.

If they warranty get it in writing too. So easy to forget about what they verbally promise 1 year from now if you have an issue.

I went for it for 2 reasons.

1 stop shop.
I didn't have to leave my car over night at a place to have it done.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
perm
Rep
Drives:

Hi,

In theory no issues with having superguard paint protection applied after 1 month of driving. The dealer will need to ensure that the paint is clean and oil free to ensure that superguard has the best chance of bonding to the paint and hence provide the best protection.

However if it was me, I would not bother with the superguard from the dealer…. as the product it is not that highly regarded and is expensive. ( Paint protection after sales is a way for dealers to boost the profitability on a car ).

If you have the time you can buy a better paint protection system and apply it yourself. One of the best paint protection products in the market is called Zaino.

Alternatively find a local detailing company to do the work for you…. Will be cheaper than BMW and they will do a lot better job.

Have a look at www.detailingworld.co.uk for loads and good advise.

Cheers

Perm
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
K30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I have no idea what clear bra is - but guessing by the name it is a film which is applied to the nose of the car?

I've ordered BMW paint protection - would never have ususally done this but my last car (Mini Cooper S 2006) I managed to get the dealer to apply this F.O.C- and I have to say it worked brilliantly.

I normally wax my cars with autoglym products - but in 1+1/2 years this has not been necessary. It gets washed every other week and still looks as good as new, not a single 'swirl mark' in sight from washing! I'd recommend the BMW paint protect - but don't doubt you can buy similar products to apply yourself.

I'm thinking about the 'nanomeric' wax products for doing the wheels - should mean the brake dust comes off more easily.

Kiran
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Booked mine in to be done on 19/7/08.
      06-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Booked mine in to be done on 19/7/08.
You're not getting your car done by this lot in Chelmsford by any chance?

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/index.htm

This is where I was planning to get mine done, although I'm a bit hacked off I'd miss out on the free steak dinner :smile:

If you're going elsewhere, how much are they charging?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep they are the ones. I opted for the valet and outside treatment. Going to cost £145

Couldn't be bothered with the internal treatment.

Steak dinner? Is this some special offer
      06-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yep they are the ones. I opted for the valet and outside treatment. Going to cost £145

Couldn't be bothered with the internal treatment.

Steak dinner? Is this some special offer
Yeah, if you come from outside Essex, you get a voucher for a free steak dinner at a nearby pub or something.

The website says £224 for a medium sized car (assuming it's not small?), so how come you've got it so much cheaper?!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Coz that price if the package inside and out....

I only went for the outside stuff.
      06-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Ah, right. That's pretty good then.

Not sure if I'd bother with the interior either as all the leather is going to get conditioned and cleaned regularly, and I'm not really sure what they could do with the dash or carpets that'll have a major impact over and above just keeping them clean yourself
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

£145 sounds goods, dealers rip you off on things like that
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Vidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I have a mate that works at a BMW dealer and he managed to get me some AGlaze for free, and then we both applied it ourselves, it does seem to make cleaning the car easier. Not bad considering that the dealer charges £350 for the AGlaze.

Obviously it did cost me a few beers and funnily enough, a steak dinner!!!!
      07-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #13
greyvents
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the imput guys. Just to let you know what happened, my dealer arranged for it to be done f.o.c. for me.

It's been on for less than a day but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #14
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

i had Supergurad on my wifes Touran, and to be fair its 2 yrs old and still looks good...

however, as said in the thread everyone knows its a massively inflated price at the stealership and only something you try to get thrown as a freebie.

all i will say is after reading many posts on here, and visiting detailing forums, speaking to people etc etc.. there seems to be many other ways of keeping your motor far cleaner for far less dosh..

however i seem to be developing OCD.. (thanks moff!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I don't think it's that good.

Nothing beats good washing and waxing of a car.

But if the owner is not keen on washing, it's better than nothing and does do a good job of protecting the paint.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah don't pay for it try and get it F.O.C and even then you wonder if they have bothered or just told you they have done it.

Not worth £350, buy the kit on ebay and do it yourself for that!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #17
greyvents
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

thats it Moff, Im not mad about washing / waxing. actually the washing bit is ok...so as you say, it's better than nothing.

Nick, it was done f.o.c. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
      07-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes but add up how much you pay on wax, shampoo and other bits over 3 years, especially if your like me and wash the darn thing every weekend.

I'm paying £140 for the Supaguard in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know how it goes and if it is a rip off or not.
      07-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #19
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyvents View Post
thats it Moff, Im not mad about washing / waxing. actually the washing bit is ok...so as you say, it's better than nothing.

Nick, it was done f.o.c. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Good o.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #20
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Yes but add up how much you pay on wax, shampoo and other bits over 3 years, especially if your like me and wash the darn thing every weekend.

I'm paying £140 for the Supaguard in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know how it goes and if it is a rip off or not.
They don't give the same effect.

Polishing and waxing provide both higher levels of protection and a much higher finish. This is especially important with Blacks, reds and Blues.

Seriously, you don't spend a lot of polishing products - a £20-£30 tub of wax should last a minimum 3 years, and if not, too much is being applied.

My cleaning kit probably totals £200 but will easily last 3-5 years and I will use it on both cars.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #21
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

my le mans blue looks super sexy when dodo'ed up :headbang:

very deep blue!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #22
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm going for paint protection rather than wax shine. I have noticed a couple of small paint chips already on the front of the car, the company who are doing the Superguard are going to repair them first then do the work on it.

I hope with the Superguard applied the chips are less likely to happen in future.