BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Any opinions on ASA Wheels?

So I'm browsing Tire Rack, and these ASA AR1s seem to be a great looking wheel at a very reasonable price...almost a little too reasonable. Anyone have any experience with them? Tire Racks reputation is pretty good as far as I've heard, so I don't think they're selling junk, but these just seem to be a little too good to be true. What's the catch?

Also, if there is no catch, which one do you think would look better on a Monaco Blue car?

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Terp1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 BMW 325Ci

Although I've never had ASA wheels I think the old saying of, "You get what you pay for" applies here. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp1 View Post
Although I've never had ASA wheels I think the old saying of, "You get what you pay for" applies here. Just my thoughts.

I thought about that, but I'm afraid we've just been conditioned to think that's the case with things like this. I think we're paying for a name with a lot of the more expensive wheels.

I look at it like Polo shirts. A Polo brand shirt costs $75. You can buy the exact same shirt at Old Navy for $10 without the little horse on it. They're both made in Peru or some place with low labor rates, and they both keep you from being naked equally as well. One may have slightly better color, or feel, but in the end you're really paying about $65 for a litle horse.

I love BBS wheels, but some of the pricing is just too far out of whack IMO. I've worked around metal working and automotive production machining for about 10 years. I just don't see any good reason why one wheel should cost 3-4 times as much as another wheel of a similar design.

Now, don't take that to mean that I don't realize there are some advantages to the more expensive wheels, such as weight savings.

What I'm asking is has anyone had or heard about any problems with ASA wheels specifically?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I have some ASA's for my snow tires on my STi. I would not rock them as my daily tires though. They are heavy as all get out.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
kevintran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

The negatives are probably they arent as strong, but a curb at 100 kmh, it doesnt matter. I heard of people with cheaper wheels going over pot holes and damaging them (the wheel, not the hole). but then this issues comes down to tire profile as well
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

ASA: Korean wheels on a BMW??? Need I say more?

I lived in Korea for a year and their quality control isn't the best.
      04-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post

When were you here in Korea? I'm very impressed with the overall quality improvement in Korean products.
      04-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post

So how exactly does living in a country give you inside knowledge on the quality control in a wheel manufacturer's process?

Do you have any first hand experience with the wheels? Or have heard anything negative from someone who has? If not then I'd say you don't know any more about it than I do. :iono:

I've lived in about a dozen countries, and worked in manufacturing in most of them, and the quality control varies by company, NOT country.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
So how exactly does living in a country give you inside knowledge on the quality control in a wheel manufacturer's process?

Do you have any first hand experience with the wheels? Or have heard anything negative from someone who has? If not then I'd say you don't know any more about it than I do. :iono:

I've lived in about a dozen countries, and worked in manufacturing in most of them, and the quality control varies by company, NOT country.
Internet forums are filled with well traveled businessmen :wink:

I have no credentials or professional experience in manufacturing. But it's my opinion based making several trips to this country and now living here in Korea that, generally speaking, the quality of Korean products are much higher than they where even a few years ago.
      04-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop79 View Post
Internet forums are filled with well traveled businessmen :wink:

I know, I'm one of them :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop79 View Post
have no credentials or professional experience in manufacturing. But it's my OPINION based making several trips to this country and now living here in Korea that, generally speaking, the quality of Korean products are much higher than they where even a few years ago.

That comment was directed at the guy who posted above you.

I agree that Korean products have gotten much better over the last few years. I wouldn't even be considering these wheels if I didn't think that. I've even been in some pretty well controlled plants in China and Taiwan. It's all about the management that's in place.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
That comment was directed at the guy who posted above you.
I noticed that AFTER I made my post. Let's just pretend that didn't happen :drinking:
      04-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

An interesting little tidbit:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/asa/asa_info.jsp

In 1990, ASA decided to build a state-of-the-art alloy wheel manufacturing facility. Knowing the complexity and challenge this presented, ASA went to BBS in Germany to tap the best technical knowledge in facility design, manufacturing processes and quality controls for producing high quality alloy wheels. Production began at the new facility in Jeywon, South Korea in March 1992.
Their agreement with BBS, a world leader in wheel technology, engineering and manufacturing with over two decades of success in the racing community and the high-end aftermarket worldwide, is still in effect today. This cooperative agreement gives ASA valuable access to technical and product information that BBS gains from their motorsports and manufacturing involvement.
By basing its quality standards around those used by BBS, in 1994 ASA became one of the first alloy wheel companies to obtain ISO9001. In 1999 ASA obtained QS9000 certification, one of the highest quality standards in the automotive industry. (ISO9001 and QS9000 are world-recognized standards for quality.)
These high quality standards have allowed ASA to produce over 750,000 Original Equipment wheels per year for vehicle manufacturers in Europe and Asia. With a total capacity to produce over 1.2 million wheels per year, ASA produces aftermarket wheels with the excess capacity and exports to 51 countries around the world.
The ASA name, Artisan Spirited Alloy, is reflected in their exotic, elegant, and exciting wheel designs.
The product line that ASA develops for Tire Rack has been created with a high level of service and close cooperation between the two companies. As the relationship with ASA develops further, look for many new items to satisfy your wheel needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
An interesting little tidbit:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/asa/asa_info.jsp

In 1990, ASA decided to build a state-of-the-art alloy wheel manufacturing facility. Knowing the complexity and challenge this presented, ASA went to BBS in Germany to tap the best technical knowledge in facility design, manufacturing processes and quality controls for producing high quality alloy wheels. Production began at the new facility in Jeywon, South Korea in March 1992.
Their agreement with BBS, a world leader in wheel technology, engineering and manufacturing with over two decades of success in the racing community and the high-end aftermarket worldwide, is still in effect today. This cooperative agreement gives ASA valuable access to technical and product information that BBS gains from their motorsports and manufacturing involvement.
By basing its quality standards around those used by BBS, in 1994 ASA became one of the first alloy wheel companies to obtain ISO9001. In 1999 ASA obtained QS9000 certification, one of the highest quality standards in the automotive industry. (ISO9001 and QS9000 are world-recognized standards for quality.)
These high quality standards have allowed ASA to produce over 750,000 Original Equipment wheels per year for vehicle manufacturers in Europe and Asia. With a total capacity to produce over 1.2 million wheels per year, ASA produces aftermarket wheels with the excess capacity and exports to 51 countries around the world.
The ASA name, Artisan Spirited Alloy, is reflected in their exotic, elegant, and exciting wheel designs.
The product line that ASA develops for Tire Rack has been created with a high level of service and close cooperation between the two companies. As the relationship with ASA develops further, look for many new items to satisfy your wheel needs.

That's awesome. Sounds like the perfect wheel for my winter set up.
      04-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
spongeWorthy
Private
Rep
Drives:

i had ASA wheels on my S2000 for 2 years. not a scratch or a dent on them, and i live in downtown driving through the crappiest roads daily. i've hit some pretty unforgiving holes / bumps / railroad tracks and came away surprised i never damaged anything.

theyre perfectly fine for everyday use, and i never regretted for a minute saving a couple grand in lieu of impressing some strangers on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:

Not in the case of there (generally speaking of course). But buy 'em if you like 'em for all I care. Personally I'm too quality-minded to consider them.
      04-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #16
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Pretty good prices and nice looking for a winter setup.. isnt super heavy.. seen ones heavier then these with similar mesh design.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
kngm1n
Rep
Drives:

I have 19' ASA AR1's the first one's pictured on my S4, look great and they're very strong. The roads here in long island are some of the worst and they've held up great; so the saying you get what you pay for really does not apply. I ordered them from tirerack a year and 1/2 ago and have had nothing but compliments on the looks. For those of you that are too "quality-minded" just a fyi a friend of mine purchased a set of hre's for his m5 and bent two of them less than a year later, mine are still going strong. More money doesn't always = better quality. Here's a pic for reference...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

The wheels themselves are strong, but my clearcoat has been flaking off on mine (4 years old).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #19
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just because it cost more does not all ways means its better or even better quality. Some times it just cost more because you are buying a name.
      04-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
they look good on gills...
talked to him alot about it
and he speaks very highly of them and they are enduring MI weather

I had ASA winter rims on my sti as well and they were great but they were bricks.

pics of gils car

04-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #21
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Mine were great. I had no issues with them. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #22
rajuncajun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I've owned two sets of ASA AR1s. First were 18x7.5 on my TSX. Second were 17x8, 17x9 on my e36 M3. I love the wheels and they are strong. I never bent a rim over some pretty hard bumps in the 60,000+ miles I drove them. I've actually been thinking of these on my 135i. The wheels weigh in around 22-24 lbs if I remember correctly. The heavier weight for the 9 inch rims. Quality is top notch. No complaints here.
Appreciate 0