BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
girlz4james
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Looking to upgrade - but is the 1 series coupe worth the premium price tag!?

Hi all,

I’m looking to upgrade my current car - I drive a MINI COOPER at the moment but wanted more power, speed and a more 'grown up' interior. The obvious choice for me was to go straight to a COOPER S. Ok, the interior is pretty similar, in fact almost exactly the same, same goes for the exterior. So I want a bit of a change of scene.

I don’t yet have a 1 series but am waiting for my local BMW dealer to take delivery of a 125i M Sport to test. I've only tried a 123d M Sport.

I think they are great looking cars and great to drive too but including the essential extras the price is almost £30k! I could pick up a nearly new cooper s for only about £20k.

If money was no object I would have one tomorrow. But is it worth the extra money!?? I really do like the 125i but I NEED CONVINCING, HELP

Thanks

James
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
InquisitiveA
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport MG 6MT

You've driven a 123d M Sport and you still need convincing??

OK, how about.

It's as quick to 60 as a Cooper S, with a faster top speed, AND does 50+mpg, and it's got a better image and is as comfortable cruising at 80 on the motorway as it is blasting down B roads....!

I had a blast with my weekend test-drive, didn't stop smiling as I drove it around. I can't wait for my 123d to arrive! :thumbup:

Did that convince you?

Edit: Don't really understand why you want the 125i over the 123d, there's not much difference in performance and the Diesel is so much more frugal.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

...and the 123d is cheaper on road tax.

The 125i is a waste IMO... better off buying an ex-demo 135i for £30k.

My dealer sold their fully loaded black 135i (worth £37k) 3 weeks ago for £30k... much better deal than buying a new 123d or 125i IMO.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

intersting story...

let me tell you mine..

i had a land rover discovery for 5yrs, and decided to chuck it in as it was starting to cost £100 to fill up for 350 miles......

just before xmas i popped along to my local dealers and after seeing the tv adds was pretty smitten on a 1 coupe couldn't wait to get my hands on it.. ended up ordering a 120dm sport with a pretty good spec.

flogged the disco quickly so i was without a car for 3 months, luckily managed to blag a car to drive between January and the march delivery date. that car was a 56 mini cooper S cabro.. afetr driving it about for a week i was absolutely loving it, fantastic car, nippy as you like, sounds like F1 car going through tunnels, and had the top top spec, so as good overall as the 1 series.

After 2 weeks, i was starting to seriously consider canceling the 1 series order and getting one of these instead. The only fault i found with it was again the fuel consumption (20 mpg.. !!!), and the fact the kids were mega uncomfy in the back with zero leg room.

i let it run its cause and wasn't really that excited about picking up the 1, was more gutted about loosing the mini.

until......

what a complete idiot i had been!!!! 30 seconds after leaving the dealership i was well and truly besotted with my new baby..

to be honest mate, it is as with every thing a personal choice, but i love my 1, and wouldn't even look at a cooper S again. and thats with an auto 120 D as competition.

different class imho
Appreciate 0