E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Satellite Radio Question

04-03-2024, 10:05 PM   #1
Grease23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Satellite Radio Question

I have a 2013 E93 with what I assume is the base radio. When I bought it a few months ago from the used lot of a GM dealer, I wasn't told and did not realize I had a 'free' 4 month Sirius XM subscription. That has now run out, and I am getting increasingly hysterical (and generous) offers from the provider to sign up for a monthly fee.

With the latest (4th) enhanced offer, it is $3/month. I'm finally tempted by that. I like the "60s" station and the chance to hear "Build Me Up Buttercup" and "If It's Square We Ain't There" and "I think it's so groovy now people are finally getting together" lyrics on a regular basis.

Here's the problem...there is no satellite radio option appearing on the screen. It says AM and FM and Presets. I have HD radio on some of the FM stations, which sounds great, but that's it for options. If I look in my owner's manual, it shows a picture of the radio screen and it shows AM and FM and Presets AND "satellite radio." My car shows no such option. If I push the "options" button on the I Drive no such radio option appears.

So did the base radio not have a Sirius/XM capability and the provider is just mistaken in making me these offers? Or is there something that has to be done to activate that option?

Thanks.

PS: Don't you know we're on the eve of destruction?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:31 PM   #2
Grease23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

From what I can tell searching elsewhere on Google, I think the answer to my question is that I'd have to go to the dealer and get something installed and maybe a different antenna and it would be $500 plus to actually get the vehicle capable of satellite radio, despite what the manual says.

I called Sirius XM and though there was some language difficulty with my consultant who might be in India, he finally answered my question as to whether the prior owner of my radio # ever had the service. He indicated she did not.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:17 PM   #3
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
You know if you can bluetooth your phone, the Sirus app’s sound is far superior to the BMW satellite reception fidelity-wise. I also use the Sirus app on my laptops and tablets as it has more channels than the BMW even receives.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 11:46 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Use Mdecoder.com to find out which options the car came with.
A late model E90 in the US may come with a satellite reciver built into
the Head Unit. It may not have antenna's and some of the wiring though.
It has to be enabled through progamming to appear on the screen.
In earlier version of the car all the satellite hardware was separate from the
Head Unit.
US Head Units are generally Idrive and pro Radio .
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:34 PM   #5
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Do you have access to the window sticker..?? Most BMW dealerships can easily print one out for no cost, which would list out if it had it or not.

For some reason in that 2013-ish timeframe BMW really was behind on their radio options. In fact both satellite radio and even simple Bluetooth streaming was optional and rare. At a time when a Geo Metro and any Hyundai had it as standard.

As Mike said the satellite radio is offered as an app and can be sent via Bluetooth to either your car or a cheap Bluetooth dongle that can be plugged into the standard Aux port. The sound quality is actually pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/e...trofit.759940/
Appreciate 0