BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
TitoSkulls
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Does Canadian 1 series have TPMS?

I know this was a question with many of the e90 owners a while back on their cars. The Canadian brochure states that the 1 series has Run Flat indicators ... but I'm not sure it's the same thing.

This would be good to know for anyone changing out their wheels and tires.
      03-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

I had this question as well, I meant to ask when I was in yesterday. There are two types of TPMS, one type has sensors in each wheel. The other type, uses the wheel speed sensers to measure the diameter of the tire. I believe the US requires tire pressure monitoring by law now, and they get individual pressure sensors. Not sure what we will get. On one hand, it makes it easier to swap wheels, if there are no sensors. On the other hand, the pressure sensors are more accurate then calculating pressure by the speed of the tire.
      03-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I don't have it with me, but I beleive the Canadian brochure I got from the dealer indicates there is a tire pressure indicator.
      03-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Just checked the brochures. The US brochure says "Tire pressure Monitor" and the canadian brochure says "Run-Flat Indicator". Still don't know if that means we will have the pressure sensors in the wheels or not.

From the UK Website here is a description of what they get; Tyre Defect Indicator (TDI).

"The Tyre Defect Indicator (TDI) alerts you immediately if pressure in a tyre drops, enhancing safety and helping prevent further tyre damage.

This electronic system lights a warning symbol in the instrument panel (supplemented by a warning system in some models) in the event of tyre damage. If the pressure in a tyre drops, the tyre’s radius shrinks and, as a result, the wheel rotation speed rises. TDI uses sensors to monitor the rate at which the wheels rotate and the Anti-lock Braking System, ABS, compares the data for individual wheels.
This means that TDI recognises pressure loss when one wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others. An even loss of pressure in two or more wheels (natural diffusion) is not registered, so regular checkups are the best way of keeping your tyres in good condition. TDI needs to be initialised in order to function correctly."
      03-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8smith View Post
Just checked the brochures. The US brochure says "Tire pressure Monitor" and the canadian brochure says "Run-Flat Indicator". Still don't know if that means we will have the pressure sensors in the wheels or not.
Not sure what a "Run-Flat Indicator" would be if it didn't monitor tire pressure...:iono:
      03-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Not sure what a "Run-Flat Indicator" would be if it didn't monitor tire pressure...:iono:
no arguemnts on that. The question is "how" it monitors tire pressure. Either through wheel mounted pressure sensors(like the US TPMS system), or through wheel speed readings (like the UK TDI system above). If it is like the TDI sytem, you can change wheels without worrying about throwing codes
      03-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^^

Let's hopes it's the UK style system! I'm definitely going to change my wheels, the last thing I want is to worry about the stupid light!

If anyone can confirm either way that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
TitoSkulls
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Tirerack does offer to install the TPMS sensors when you order wheels from them ... granted for an extra $180. Not sure where I heard this, but I was under the impression that all new Canadian bimmers were getting the TPMS. Guess we'll have to wait for the official confirmation before we start ordering new rims.
      03-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
imported_sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives:

I believe tire-pressure monitoring is standard. Isn't it soon going to be law that all new cars come with TPMS? I believe so.

Autobahn Report — BMW News, Road Tests, Photos
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Forgot to post this earlier, but it looks my car dosen't have tire pressure sensors in the wheels. It just has standard rubber valve stems. I guess new wheels just got $200 cheaper.
Attached Images

04-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Bye Bye GTI
Private First Class
Rep

I just called the dealer and according to their computers - the 135 does not have the TPMS sensors. They are using the same method as the 3 series to judge if the tire needs air or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

j8smith...the sensor would be inside the rim at the other end of the rubber stem. I looked at wife's Honda Pilot and it has TPMS and the valve stem looks like a plain rubber valve like yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
TitoSkulls
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
j8smith...the sensor would be inside the rim at the other end of the rubber stem. I looked at wife's Honda Pilot and it has TPMS and the valve stem looks like a plain rubber valve like yours.
According to the forums on e90post.com, the valve stems on BMWs that have TPMS sensors are made of aluminum. It sounds like only select Canadian MY2008 bimmers are getting the TPMS sensors i.e. 5 series ... with a good probablity that all MY2009 models will get the TPMS sensors.
      04-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I think the bmw sensor valves are metal, like these:
Attached Images