BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G35 Coupe

I'm also backing out

Hey everyone,

Like Ronsil, Rsen and some others here, I too will most likely be taking my deposit back due to this non stop gouging by BMW. I went to my dealer and worked out lease payments for my 135i and a 335i coupe and it was actually $55 cheaper for me to get the 335i! My dealer also doesn't agree with BMW and has brought this to their reps attention using my example and they will be taking this to head office. He said that there is a chance that they may drop the rate but I won't be holding my breath. I test drove the 335i and it didn't inspire me and it's just not what I want. I can afford either one but now it's the principle. Unless they lower the rate by the time my car arrives, I will be spending my money elsewhere.
Good luck to all who is still getting this car and I know you will be getting a great car! Personally, I'm just sick of getting shafted by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I say go see how bad Acura will stick you on a first year lease, and then you'll be back. Maybe, maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Hey, everybody can't buy a BMW, or else they'd be Toyotas. Thanks for leaving more for the rest of us.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 View Post
I say go see how bad Acura will stick you on a first year lease, and then you'll be back. Maybe, maybe not.
Actually, I will never be getting another front wheel drive vehicle again. This Acura was my first and last. I can actually get a MB C350 with premium package and navigation for cheaper than the 1 and that's also a first year lease. Unfortunately, it's also not what I want.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
Hey, everybody can't buy a BMW, or else they'd be Toyotas. Thanks for leaving more for the rest of us.
You're welcome and I hope you enjoy your car. I CAN buy a BMW but I refuse to based on my own decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

What didn't you like about the Acura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermotard View Post
Actually, I will never be getting another front wheel drive vehicle again. This Acura was my first and last. I can actually get a MB C350 with premium package and navigation for cheaper than the 1 and that's also a first year lease. Unfortunately, it's also not what I want.
Which Acura.
What didn't you like about the 335i that the MB has???
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Which Acura.
I have an Acura TSX. Besides the FWD that I don't like, it's also lacking in the power department. It's great car for some people, just not for me.
I'm not saying that I like the MB more than the 335i. I'm just saying that I can even get a cheaper lease on a top of the line C class, first year production for less than the 135i. The 335i coupe that was cheaper than the 135i was also a 2008 with eveything except Navi. Like I said, I'm happy for all of you that are getting this car and I look forward to seeing some on the road. I can still get it with the 7.75% lease rate but now it's the principal. If it had come in at 6.9% like I was expecting, then I would have kept my order.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Which Acura.
The 335i is nice from certain angles but somewhat awkward from others. I think the front looks great but the sides and back need work. For some reason, I had more fun driving the 335i sedan that I test drove a month ago. I also didn't like the interior that much. It feels like the dash curves away from you rather than around you. I'm not saying the 1 is a beauty queen either but to me, it's much better than the 3. As far as the MB goes, I think it looks great but no manual transmission and the chance that they may up the horsepower for next year is preventing me from getting one.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

No criticism intended. Still, I find it interesting that the choice of which car one ends up driving is determined by how the car is financed. Seems like the tail is wagging the dog...

Jack
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
No criticism intended. Still, I find it interesting that the choice of which car one ends up driving is determined by how the car is financed. Seems like the tail is wagging the dog...

Jack
Hi Jack,

Even though I have the money to buy the car, it doesn't mean I am willing to pay more than I feel I should. I am leasing so that I can write it off for tax purposes. Just because I have the money, it doesn't mean I am going to spend it frivolously. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
ronsil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermotard View Post
Hi Jack,

Even though I have the money to buy the car, it doesn't mean I am willing to pay more than I feel I should. I am leasing so that I can write it off for tax purposes. Just because I have the money, it doesn't mean I am going to spend it frivolously. :wink:
Hypermotard,

I know exactly how you feel. I am on the same boat as you are. Its not that we can't afford it. I can't answer for you but I can buy two new M3 at the same time easily if I wanted to but thats not how I want to spend my money. Everything have a value, and it just happens that the 1er does not worth that money, for me anyway. Its like some people likes buying new cell phones that cost $1000+ but drives a beat up civic. Everyone has a value for everything. I am happy for those who have the same "Value" as what BMW is asking. I am sure you will enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #12
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsil View Post
Hypermotard,

I know exactly how you feel. I am on the same boat as you are. Its not that we can't afford it. I can't answer for you but I can buy two new M3 at the same time easily if I wanted to but thats not how I want to spend my money. Everything have a value, and it just happens that the 1er does not worth that money, for me anyway. Its like some people likes buying new cell phones that cost $1000+ but drives a beat up civic. Everyone has a value for everything. I am happy for those who have the same "Value" as what BMW is asking. I am sure you will enjoy your new ride.
Thank you Ronsil! Finally someone who understands what I'm saying! It's a personal thing and not a money thing. I too can get a M3 but it just doesn't tug at me like the 1 does. I still look forward to seeing the cars and for those of you who are still getting it, congratulations and I hope to see you around. I'll still be checking this site because who knows, maybe one day when BMW comes out with a more reasonable rate, I will consider getting one.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
pwong888
Private
Rep
Drives:

In the Canada site, everyone is a smart consumer, I'm on the same boat with you guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #14
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
One sentence... "ignorant comment"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
pwong888
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I just found out the average buyer for the 1er is only twenty something, they are not mature to spend their money and also they think once they get the 1er they can fly, maybe they just step up from the Toyota.
I'm driving C32 AMG, I'm not hurry to buy the 1er until they lower the rate.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #16
123d
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Too bad you won't get any of ther 1ers that are comming to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsil View Post
Everything have a value, and it just happens that the 1er does not worth that money, for me anyway. Its like some people likes buying new cell phones that cost $1000+ but drives a beat up civic. Everyone has a value for everything. I am happy for those who have the same "Value" as what BMW is asking. I am sure you will enjoy your new ride.
Well said. And to the other above post, yeah most of us are in our 20s.. Maybe its something about this generation that demands more, despite the fact we can afford it either way.

All I know, is I will feel like a complete idiot if I'm locked in at 7.75% when the rates hit 2.9% in the following year.
      03-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Wow. Terribly insightful. Thanks for sharing that sentiment with us. Were you born in a BMW?

Hypermotard, I respect your process of thinking. Many of us here can buy a number of different cars in a variety of price ranges. Sure, I could have had the E92 M3 as well. But could not justify it compared to the 335i. We all have choices to make and some use less emotion and more rationality than others. Buying a BMW is not necessarily a rational purchase, but one can employ rationality in the purchase process. Hypermotard has demonstrated such rationality in the purchase process despite his emotional affinity for the 1er. Thanks for backing out and leaving more for the BMW Canada to sell to someone else who desperately wants to pay the absurd 7.75% lease rate and contributing to a lower hype for the car than warranted by the total cost of purchase. I admire your decision to not be taken for a fool by BMW's marketing thrust to gouge you twice over. :respekt:
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
rsen
Rep
Drives:

As Hypermotard and Ronsil have said, it is more about the principle of the thing that prompted me to cancel my order. I could afford to get the 135i at the rate BMW wants (BTW I am 45 years old and am financially comfortable) but I choose not to because of what I perceive (rightly or wrongly) to be gouging. I have never owned a BMW before and was looking forward to getting a "premium" automobile. However, the more BMW tries to squeeze as much as they can from Canadian customers (despite other luxury car brands in Canada lowering MSRP's and finance rates), the more I felt that I couldn't go through with the purchase.

Here are some of the reasons (as I partialy outlined in another thread) why I choose not to buy from BMW at this time:

-Having to pay 20% more than a comparable US 135i despite the Canadian dollar at or above par.

-Paying $2000 for freight and PDI ($775 in US)

-Paying 6.75% finance rate when most other car companies in Canada, including luxury car companies, are offering significantly lower rates. As an example, Lexus Canada recently lowered the MSRP on the IS350 by $6000, and lowered finance interest rate to 3.2% for the car. Now, I am not saying that the IS350 is comparable to the 135i, I am just showing it as an example.

-Finding out that if I were to try to import a new BMW from the USA I would face several roadblocks because of BMW's policies as follows:

-On the one hand BMW Canada says that they will honour the US warranty, but then BMW turns around and forbids American dealers from selling cars to Canadians! That seems kind of underhanded of them.
-If I somehow find an American BMW dealer willing to sell a car to me I have to get an Admissibillity Letter from BMW Canada for $350. Then I have to get the DRL's done through a software fix AS WELL AS having to change the instrument cluster, all for a $2000 charge, to make the DRL's permanent. Yes, this came straight from a BMW Canada representative I talked to on the telephone. Then I have to pay BMW Canada another $500 for the Recall Letter. This comes out to almost $3000 extra on top of the usual import/RIV fees for importing a US car into Canada.
- I noticed BMW is being sued (class action suit) because of the above requirement.

It just irks me that BMW Canada is doing these things. My SA has been very nice about the situation with me cancelling my order, so I harbour no ill will towards the dealership. I have many times thought about backing down and paying what BMW wants (because I just love the 135i so much, and do not think there is anything else comparable in the market currently), but I am not going to change my mind. I will wait until rates go down in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow, for a while there I thought no one could see my point of view! Thanks for the support because as a life long car enthusiast, it is hard to walk away from a 300+ horsepower/torque, 6 piston caliper, perfectly shaped steering wheel and 6 speed manual transmission with luxury all in a rear wheel drive car the size of a Mazda 3. I wish all of you the best and I'm still excited and can't wait to see them on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

well that sucks... Hope you find a good replacement car.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #22
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

With your fuller explanation, I can understand your dilemma. Sorry your math & principles leave you without a 135.

Originally, I had tentatively filed your financing-is-too-expensive-and-so-I'm-not-buying-it post with the it-pushes-and-so-I'm-not-buying-it posts and the it's-heavy-and-so-I'm-not-buying-it posts and the we-can't-get-the-european-cloth-seats-and-so-I'm-not-buying-it posts and the STIs-are-faster-and-so-I'm-not-buying-it posts.

I can get a little tired of those.

The cost/benefit ratio is a personal equation for everybody; sorry yours went the other way.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0