BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Anyone planning on taking out the stock head unit and worried about losing bluetooth?

Iv'e searched this but am still confused. Thanx to anyone who chimes in.

I think I haven't found too much info maybe because I think that not many people plan on replacing the head unit since BMW's are "ultimate driving machines" and most 1 series owners aren't too concerned with audio since they're too busy hauling a**:thumbup:. I respect that, however i'm pretty anal when it comes to my audio and I don't want the 135 to sound of lesser quality than my last ride, so I plan to spend a lot of cabbage on the bump in the trunk. :headbang:

I've decided to say screw the idrive/nav and the usb/ipod cable hookup and throw in high quality (probably focal) speakers and some tru-technology amplifiers and maybe an eclipse head unit with an aftermarket usb cable hooked up to that. Of course i'm not too technical so i'll have to pay a good beat shop to do it, hey that raises another question, anyone know a good custom stereo shop in or near San Francisco? :iono:

So my main question is:Does anyone know if replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket one will make the bluetooth unuseable? I know there's aftermarket bluetooth but I heard the BMW bluetooth is great quality, and since i'm already paying for it with the Premium pkg I was hoping it would still be useable. On my last car, Infiniti G-35, I replaced the stock head unit and that killed the bluetooth. Also, if anyone else will be replacing the stock stereo components with an aftermarket setup and wouldn't mind posting, i'm curious to see what kind of systems others are planning. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Might want to ask this over at e90post.com. They have the same BT module, and similar (if not identical) head units. There may already be threads about it there...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Not quite responsive to your post but I had focal polykevlars on my last ride and God they sounded heavenly. Fantastic midrange and a real warm sound!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

:w00t: thanks for the info guys
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

bluetooth will not work with an aftermarket head unit. the rad2 (stock head unit) interfaces with the tcu (telematics control unit) via the MOST bus. i'm assuming the aftermarket head unit will not have a MOST interface and therefore will not communicate with the tcu and therefore will eliminate the bluetooth functionality. the rad2 is used to pair your bluetooth phone and upload your contact list.

also if you take out the factory rad2, you may face a little problem if you need any software updates under warranty (software updates are needed when control modules are replaced, under service actions, and when there is a straight software fix to certain problems). for a software update to take place all your factory control modules must be seen by the bmw software. if it does not it will not let you go ahead with the programming.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post
Iv'e searched this but am still confused. Thanx to anyone who chimes in.

I think I haven't found too much info maybe because I think that not many people plan on replacing the head unit since BMW's are "ultimate driving machines" and most 1 series owners aren't too concerned with audio since they're too busy hauling a**:thumbup:. I respect that, however i'm pretty anal when it comes to my audio and I don't want the 135 to sound of lesser quality than my last ride, so I plan to spend a lot of cabbage on the bump in the trunk. :headbang:

I've decided to say screw the idrive/nav and the usb/ipod cable hookup and throw in high quality (probably focal) speakers and some tru-technology amplifiers and maybe an eclipse head unit with an aftermarket usb cable hooked up to that. Of course i'm not too technical so i'll have to pay a good beat shop to do it, hey that raises another question, anyone know a good custom stereo shop in or near San Francisco? :iono:

So my main question is:Does anyone know if replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket one will make the bluetooth unuseable? I know there's aftermarket bluetooth but I heard the BMW bluetooth is great quality, and since i'm already paying for it with the Premium pkg I was hoping it would still be useable. On my last car, Infiniti G-35, I replaced the stock head unit and that killed the bluetooth. Also, if anyone else will be replacing the stock stereo components with an aftermarket setup and wouldn't mind posting, i'm curious to see what kind of systems others are planning. Cheers.
Just do not order the premium sound. You will have better integration while improving radically the sound quality of the OEM HU by replacing everything after the OEM HU with aftermarket components (amps and speakers) than replacing the OEM HU.

Aftermarket DSP processor > amps > speakers added to the base OEM sound system will give you plenty of adjustment and sound quality options. Your budget will determine how much improvement you will get, however you will keep the OEM integration intact.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Right on, thanx for the help!!! I ordered the car with idrive and so I plan to just keep the stock head unit and get something like a jl clean sweep and maybe just go for some high end speakers and a good small amp. I really don't want to screw with all the software of the car. it's a shame they don't make these things easier to integrate with aftermarket parts, bastards!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post
Right on, thanx for the help!!! I ordered the car with idrive and so I plan to just keep the stock head unit and get something like a jl clean sweep and maybe just go for some high end speakers and a good small amp. I really don't want to screw with all the software of the car. it's a shame they don't make these things easier to integrate with aftermarket parts, bastards!!

My Friend, changing the HU out really won't do much for you, but adding an aftermarket amp and good speakers will. As you have suggested, 10 new Focals running 85w each is a huge improvement over the stock system. Everything would look stock and there is no need to put subs in the trunk, because you can just replace the stock ones that are located under the front seats.
Appreciate 0