BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
ronsil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e46

Option Code ZAN

This options has the following description:

ZAN: 6 speed automatic transmission with steptronic M shift paddles.

What is the difference between the M shift paddles and the regular paddles offered in option ZAJ.

Does it look different or function differently?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My guess would be that M paddles have pull on the right is upshift and pull on left is downshift.

When i drove the 335i of you pull on eitherside it is upshift and pushing on eitherside is downshift.

is this an option in the US?
does it cost extra?

i would much rather have this
      01-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

anyone know anything else about these?
      03-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

aaggh!
I SAT in a 135i with the M package.... the SA opened it for me because I had been incontact with her and will probably buy my car from her in the next week.... but well, it's overwhelming... it was at the car show so I was at the spotlight because the car had been locked all the time before that... but well, I did NOT see a plus or minus sign on them, which does NOT mean they weren't there... the question ahs been posted... WHAT is the diff between M and normal ones... I do NOT know if I would like TWO paddles that both do the same thing... I would prefer a left/right break-up, but we'll have to see... IF the difference is NOT the left/right-back/fwd dilemma, then my only guess is that the actual plastic is nicer for the M version... who knows, might match the trim...

I am SO torn about this freature right now... luckily you can put the money down, get in the queue, then chaneg your mind about the features, up to a certain point of course....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

sorry,
but to top it off, first
I meant, I don't REMEMBER if the paddles had a +/- sign

second, the SA said today (mind you, these guys are salespersons, not addicts like us) that they have both so that when you are turning or so, that is, when the wheel is not in its original position, rotation-wise, you can use either of them as convenient...
bear with me... she promised me a test ride on a 335i... I will ask for paddles to ehem, test drive that feature and make up my mind for my 135i...
so I ASSUME they are the same if they are M, and I will eb able to tell you FOR SURE what the deal is...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Who cares what the paddles do. This car demands a manual gearbox. Don't disappoint it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

yeah

yup
and it saves you 1785 cad

my most recnt idea is to not get the steptronic, and splurge some of the 'savinsgs' on parking control and comfort entrance, ipod adapter, etc and all those small niceties
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

BMW makes the has the best clutch and shifter feel out of any other car I have ever driven. Gotta go with the 6 speed. I'm actually screwed for driving any other car because of how much I like BM's clutches.
      03-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Come on guys lets respect the guys "question".. mentioning that he should just go with a 6 speed and his question is about the paddle shifters is down right ignorant.. I hope you guys don't act like ppl say bmw ppl are.. snobs..

Back to the "original" question Ronsil I would check it out with a dealership because they should have enough info and brochures however I have not seen any difference from pictures I saw.. they are usually just plain silver as Ive seen on the 335i.
Appreciate 0