BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Dension Gateway 500

Does anyone here have experience with this product?

For some ridiculous reason the ipod usb option is not available for SA bound cars at this stage :iono::iono: (Can't see why as my car is also built in Leipzig.)

After doing some research I have found this product which appears to be BMW approved (still to confirm) and allows full integration of ipod into BMW Professional head unit and allows for control via the steering wheel. It also has a bluetooth adaptor which will also allow pairing with my cellular phone and also allow control of phone via steering wheel.

Anyone heard of, or experienced this product?
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

We have been doing some research in the UK and have established that it is compatible with Pro Nav and iDrive despite the Dension website explicitly saying it isn't. It only confirms compatibility for non-iDrive.

There are some issues with compatibility with the latest "Classic" iPods i.e.160GB etc but these are being addressed in a firmware upgrade.

I am seriously interested in this too as my 05MY pre-facelift E87 cannot be retrofitted with the BMW interface. I am currently using Belkin power adapter linked to 3mm jack Aux-in. I am waiting for another forum member to be the guinea pig on the Gateway 500. I can't give you the link to the thread now as that site is not accessible from my work PC for some reason but I will post this up later on. Otherwise you should be able to find it quickly yourself on www.babybmw.net in the ICE section.

The other option would be to order the BMW parts from Europe and have them fitted by your dealer.
      01-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks, will check it out. So you are happy for me to be the guinea pig hey :wink:

Anyone else interested, I think this is the thread Rephlex was referring to. http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8596
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Thanks, will check it out. So you are happy for me to be the guinea pig hey :wink:

Anyone else interested, I think this is the thread Rephlex was referring to. http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8596
It's now a race between you and kiforrest!

Have alook at the other links in the thread there is some useful feedback from some other forums anthough none relates to a 1-series :smile:

If I were you though I would order the BMW parts it is bound to be a more integrated solution.
      01-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Not likely to be me. Will only get my 1 in April. As my order has been finalised, I can't order any BMW parts and I did not want to hold the order back just for this. Some of the research I came across however suggests that Dension is better than the BMW products, and will be MUCH cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

OK. Make sure you aren't confusing the latest BMW 6FL(?)interface with some of their earlier efforts which were indeed shyte.

I understood the BMW parts could be bought for £210GBP whereas the Dension costs £279GBP.

What audio system are you looking to interface with?
      01-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I will have the standard system - BMW Professional unit. I could not order the 6FL interface, was told by dealer it was only available to us here in Q3.

What I like about this system (from what I've seen) is that it can combine IPod and Hands free phone in one system. In SA to get the BMW 6FL and Bluetooth phone prep would cost about $1800 whereas I can get the Dension setup for both for about $900
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

OK I understand.

Dension Compatibility Chart link

Model Code GW51MO2 for Professional Radio:smile: