BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Merino leather dashboard - I sense some BS

11-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #1
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i / 21 911 C2S

Merino leather dashboard - I sense some BS

Can anyone help… when you get an X7 (22) with extended merino leather and the leather dashboard option I’m pretty sure the leather on the dashboard is Merino leather - at least that what it felt like with mine. The seats and the dash were a very smooth leather. BMW just had to replace my leather dashboard as the stiching was coming undone and they are telling me you can only order one type of leather dashboard replacement from OEM parts - this is what they fitted and it looks and feels very different to what was in the car originally. I have a strong suspicion that when the factory put in the dash it can be Merino leather but BMW just don’t offer this as a replacement part - even though it was defective. If this is the case this really annoys me as I paid for both extended Merino leather $1,000 and leather dash board $850 and the defective replacement feels nothing like the original.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 04:15 PM   #2
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MancladLA View Post
Can anyone help… when you get an X7 (22) with extended merino leather and the leather dashboard option I’m pretty sure the leather on the dashboard is Merino leather - at least that what it felt like with mine. The seats and the dash were a very smooth leather. BMW just had to replace my leather dashboard as the stiching was coming undone and they are telling me you can only order one type of leather dashboard replacement from OEM parts - this is what they fitted and it looks and feels very different to what was in the car originally. I have a strong suspicion that when the factory put in the dash it can be Merino leather but BMW just don’t offer this as a replacement part - even though it was defective. If this is the case this really annoys me as I paid for both extended Merino leather $1,000 and leather dash board $850 and the defective replacement feels nothing like the original.
is it possible they fitted a sensatec dashboard? does it look like this:
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks - I don’t think it’s senstec - I think it’s leather but it feels and looks like a cheaper leather - it’s not as smooth / soft. I’ve asked them to give me the one they took out as I really sense some BMW BS here.. I think they no longer offer the part that was originally fitted. If necessary I’ll take it up with BMW directly
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:27 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Google for an “x7 ordering pricing guide PDF” to see if it breaks down the material options codes.

If your X7 has the S4M5A option code…then your dash should be real leather. What type of leather…again, see if you can google to find your model year’s ordering guide (PDF).

Try to post pics of what they gave you so that the forum members can have a battery understanding of what you’re trying to explain. I’m sure they can help reveal what type of replacement dash you received. A pic is worth a thousand words.

It did for my f06 six series…the ordering guide listed what the material used for the specific leather options (Dakota/Nappa/Merino)…and it also revealed what the leather dash option included.

Back during the F06 era…the Merino leather options came with Walk Nappa on the dash. The Dakota & Nappa leather seats came with artificial leather dashes etc unless you ordered the 4ND leather dash option which upgraded the dash, center console, and upper door panels to Nappa leather.

Again, this chart is for the f06…it may vary for other model nomenclatures:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-15-2023 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:12 PM   #5
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep

I will post some pictures when I can as the car is still at the dealership.

I found this description in another post about extended merino leather / with the dashboard options:

Extended Merino + $900 leather dashboard option: merino dash top, dash under and door tops, merino seats excl rear of seats.

My belief is when the car was built the dashboard was Merino leather to match the seats and the door tops - now though their is only one part code for leather dash and it’s the standard leather not the Merino leather. The dealerships is being not helpful as they just say “well this is all we can order” - my issue is I paid for something that was faulty and now it seems you cannot get the same replacement
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:25 PM   #6
MancladLA
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone have an email address for the head of customer service at BMW North America as I can see I am going to get nowhere with the dealership
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You can try calling the toll free customer rep number and see if they will give up the email address:

You can reach BMW USA customer service at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Sebastian Mackensen is President and CEO of BMW of North America, LLC (BMW NA), and Head of BMW Group Region Americas. (good luck actually reaching him).

President and CEO of BMW of North America, LLC
Sebastian Mackensen is President and CEO of BMW of North America, LLC (BMW NA), and Head of BMW Group Region Americas. In these roles, Mackensen is responsible for all facets of BMW Group operations in the U.S. market for the BMW, MINI and Motorrad brands.

Mackensen began his career with BMW Group in 2013 as the head of the MINI brand’s sales organization globally before taking overall responsibility for the British brand in 2015. He has successfully led the BMW and MINI businesses – including the factory-owned dealerships - in Germany from October 2018. Before joining the BMW Group, Mackensen was responsible for the Americas region at another premium auto brand and spent numerous years working for different premium car manufacturers in Spain and the United States. Mackensen serves on the Board of Directors of the German American Chamber of Commerce, Inc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 10:22 AM   #8
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
You can try calling the toll free customer rep number and see if they will give up the email address:

You can reach BMW USA customer service at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Sebastian Mackensen is President and CEO of BMW of North America, LLC (BMW NA), and Head of BMW Group Region Americas. (good luck actually reaching him).

President and CEO of BMW of North America, LLC
Sebastian Mackensen is President and CEO of BMW of North America, LLC (BMW NA), and Head of BMW Group Region Americas. In these roles, Mackensen is responsible for all facets of BMW Group operations in the U.S. market for the BMW, MINI and Motorrad brands.

Mackensen began his career with BMW Group in 2013 as the head of the MINI brand’s sales organization globally before taking overall responsibility for the British brand in 2015. He has successfully led the BMW and MINI businesses – including the factory-owned dealerships - in Germany from October 2018. Before joining the BMW Group, Mackensen was responsible for the Americas region at another premium auto brand and spent numerous years working for different premium car manufacturers in Spain and the United States. Mackensen serves on the Board of Directors of the German American Chamber of Commerce, Inc.

He looks like a guy who would care about your dashboard. 🤣
Appreciate 1
MR_M2522.00