F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Adaptive HID (Pre-LCI) and wiring aux driving lamps
GetBMWParts

10-08-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Adaptive HID (Pre-LCI) and wiring aux driving lamps

Now that I'm keeping the car I've decided to spend some time sorting a few extra bits out with it that have been frustrating me. One is the lack of lighting. Don't get me wrong, the Pre-LCI adaptive HID's that I've got are good-ish for stock lighting, but I'm spoiled in my other car which has 4x 130W 9" Hella spots on the front of it. So I'm looking to wire in some extra lights on the front of the F31. I know some people will say it's unnecessary but the amount of red deer in rural Scotland is ridiculous and it's cheaper and easier to wire in some big F-off lights to see them better than it is to hit one.

I've wired up many cars for these in the past but usually used a splice wire with aftermarket connectors between the loom and the high beam bulb which can be used as the trigger for a relay that then feeds power to the aux lights. However, from what I understand the F31 setup doesn't have this as it uses the shutters in the lamp units to initiate high beam, although something obviously exists in the system which triggers the high beam indication on the dash. Has anyone managed to wire up something like this in the past who can provide some pointers? I could just wire it up on a manual switch but I'd rather not do that as it's a PITA, as ideally they'd be triggered by the auto on/off of the stock high beam.
Appreciate 0