BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
joeyusc
Rep
Drives:

CARandDRIVER---Price Change: oops....

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...nce-page2.html

CarandDriver changed its high 30's prediction!!!!! Or at least changed something. What do you guys think led CarandDiver to change the pertinent sentence on price??? Maybe they are questioning their prediction, but why? BMW told them to remove it b/c it's wrong? Thoughts?????
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

This would not be the First Time that C&D corrected a mistake

First Drive: 2009 BMW 135i - Engine and Performance

It's everyday appeal outweighs what we hoped would be a mini M car.

BY JUERGEN ZOELLTER AND MARK GILLIES, October 2007

When BMW first entered the compact car segment with its 1-series (E87) hatchback in Europe in 2004, the car was immediately castigated as too expensive in light of the less-costly Volkswagen Golf (Rabbit) that had ruled the compact segment for decades.

Since then, BMW has silenced the disdain by selling almost 450,000 units of its three- and five-door 1-series premium compacts; everyone now agrees that it’s a success.

It drives sweetly, too, which leaves its not-so-elegant design as the only remaining complaint with the hatchback models.

But nearly all premium hatchbacks brought to the U.S. have met with failure. Remember the BMW 318ti? How about the slow-selling, then promptly discontinued Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport Coupe?

In an attempt to continue its European success in North America, BMW designed this new coupe version of the 1-series to appeal to American tastes.

As a four-seater (comfortable space for two adults on a short trip in back) with a trunk as well as a standard 60/40 split backseat, the 1-series coupe offers a high level of all-round functionality for everyday use, even though the 5-door hatchback version sold in Europe is more versatile. This sub-3-series rear-drive coupe will be basically in a class of its own when it arrives in the U.S. in February.

We drove only the 135i coupe, which should be a fantastic deal if the price comes in at the mid-$30,000s that BMW promises us, is powered by the excellent twin-turbo, direct-injection 3.0-liter inline-six which you already know from the 335i coupe and sedan.

This powerhouse also won the International Engine of the Year Award—twice. Fitted into this 3450-pound 135i—yes, the 1-series is only about 100 pounds lighter than an equivalent 3-series—the 300-hp engine sounds fabulous and spins up quickly to its 7000-rpm redline.

On the other hand, it delivers a 300-pound-foot punch between 1400 and 5000 rpm with infinitesimal turbo lag. Basically the throttle response is as spontaneous as that of a naturally aspirated engine, which we’ll also get in the U.S. in the form of the 230-hp 128i; that one we expect will cost under $30,000.

BMW says the 135i scoots to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds, but we expect it to at least match the 335i coupe’s 4.9-second run to 60 mph, and 13.6-second quarter-mile.

Top speed is a governed 155 mph. It is equipped with a precise-shifting six-speed manual, which operates quickly and smoothly with a pleasing feel. A nearly 50/50 weight distribution delivers a fantastic balance and the suspension is the BMW-brilliant mix of competence and smooth-ride that we know from the 3-series.

Of course, massive torque is always compelling, too. And strong, but easy-to-control brakes add a measure of confidence.

But, if you were expecting some sort of baby M3 (that's kind-of what we were hoping for), based on the car's superior power-to-weight ratio over a 335i coupe, think again. BMW tuned the car to be a sporty coupe that was also a daily driver, rather than a road burner.

So, while the 135i is plenty fast and has lots of grip, it's tuned as much for comfort as handling prowess. The ride is almost plush, for instance, and the car pushes doggedly on the limit, despite the 300 hp at your behest.

With wider tires at the back than the front and a tiny rear anti-roll bar, the car emphasis is on safety rather than entertainment. Still, the brake feel, steering weight, and shifter action are beautiful and the chassis is nicely communicative. The engine makes delicious noises and, boy, it provides a lot of performance for the money.

This is the second generation of BMW’s direct injection which plays a key role to reduce fuel consumption and to offer excellent power at the same time. The injectors are positioned directly next to the spark plug, which allows a very precise metering of the injected fuel.

A little indicator in the instrument cluster suggests which gear you should be in to maximize your fuel economy, which should come in slightly better than the 335i’s respectable 17/26 city/highway EPA mileage numbers.

Of course, the 128i and 135i will also be available with a six-speed automatic gearbox. Similar to the automatics found in the 3-series, it will use an innovative torque converter complete with an integrated torsion damper in order to reduce energy losses and shorten the reaction time for changing gears.

Naturally, a manumatic function as well as paddle shifters (in the 135i) will be included.

So, if the 135i isn't quite at an M-car level of entertainment, what about an M version of the 1-series? “There always must be space for improvement,” is the only answer we could coax from 1-series project leader Gerd Schuster about the probability of a high-performance version of the 1-series. But we have reason to believe an M1 is in the works with a twin-turbo four-cylinder.

It won’t necessarily have more horsepower than the 135i, but with sharper reactions and a lighter body and engine, the M1 would clearly be king of the compact-car segment.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hmmm mid-30s $$$

Mid thirties: $34,800 -- $37,200 ...............
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

HAHA!! DUMB ASSES REALIZED THEIR MISTAKE!!:headbang:
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #5