BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Are you on a dealer's waiting list? If so, where are you in line?
#1, woot! 18 21.18%
#2-4 9 10.59%
#5-7 7 8.24%
I plan on getting on a waiting list but I'm not yet 9 10.59%
Waiting lists are unnecessary, this is a mass production car 31 36.47%
I'm not sure if I'm buying a 1-Series yet, so no 11 12.94%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

09-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

POLL: Where Are You On The Waiting List

Thought it might be fun to see just how OCD our little group of addicts really is... :respekt:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

lol true. i'm behind the dealer demo car and one other person ... so i guess that means i'm 2nd. placed my order in July.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I would never put money down for a car I have never seen, sat in, or driven. Plus, no matter how good the car is, I wont take a bad deal on it which is probably what the first few months of sales will be like.
      09-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

MPower is correct-a-mundo - sorry guys, there hasn't been anything (zip, zero, nilch, nada, nothing) written about the driving dynamics by anyone we've been able to locate that is independent of BMW. And lord knows we've all surfed and googled (BMW 1 coupe road test, BMW 135 review, BMW 135 coupe driving impressions, etc, etc, etc . . . ; -).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
MPower is correct-a-mundo - sorry guys, there hasn't been anything (zip, zero, nilch, nada, nothing) written about the driving dynamics by anyone we've been able to locate that is independent of BMW. And lord knows we've all surfed and googled (BMW 1 coupe road test, BMW 135 review, BMW 135 coupe driving impressions, etc, etc, etc . . . ; -).
true true but if the reviews come back -ve i'll just get a 335i instead or refund... no big deal to me except the time-value lost in my deposit. there's plenty of time between now and then to digest the reviews and given my personal car-purchase schedule the deposit is worth keeping a place in line.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I'm somewhere in between you guys. I've told the dealer I'm getting one- want to have one of the first but I'm waiting
(even tho I'm 99% sure the base 135'll be high-34k) before I plunk down loot.
But, I do think by late Oct/early November, probably a bit before we know the price for sure I'll put a deposit down.

If not sooner!

:biggrin::biggrin::roundel::roundel:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Meh. We'll have European reviews in a month or two -- well before any orders will need to be placed. I trust CAR and, especially, EVO more than I trust any American car magazine. If their reviews are tepid, I'll ask for my deposit back. If they give it a ringing endorsement, then I will be until March!

And it's not like we know nothing about this car. 1-Series hatches have been the subject of numerous comparison tests. And the 135i's bi-turbo motor is world renowned. Let's just say the odds are good that this car will be a corker.

Regardless, the refundable deposit seems like a no-lose proposition. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

I have to agree with MPower and others that a test drive and a close up look is needed before a financial commitment, (although the car does look very promising).

I am probably stating the obvious, but having never been in a "buy the first one off the line" situation, I guess you pretty much tell the dealer your options and they ring it up for you - no haggling, thank you. The key to any negotiation is being able to walk away from the deal but with early adopters if you don't buy it someone else will in the next 10 minutes. May be a dumb observation but are you able to deal at all in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
I have placed a deposit and I am number 2 on the list. I haven't driven the car, but I am a current bmw owner, so I expect this car to be just as good as my 330ci. There is nothing that stops me from getting my deposit back since it is refundable. So, if I drive the car and am not impressed, then I will get my money back. Furthermore, there is nothing that stops me from walking away from the dealership if I don't like the deal or negotiation. Thus, there is nothing wrong with leaving a deposit on the car before driving it or reading the reviews. In fact, I don't care too much about the magazine reviews, since I am the person who is going to own and enjoy the car. So my review is the review that matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Uh....nowhere. There's no pricing or options list available for the US market at this point in time which would enable you to make an informed purchase. There's no feel for the size and fit of the car until you sit down in one and drive it. And 1st year cars always have quality issues, particularly at the beginning. During the first year of production on a new car there is likely to be weekly updates to the assembly process. This isn't a metrosexual rush to be the first one with the hip fashions for the season...its a car, its a complicated assembly and it takes time to refine it, like it or not. Have fun being first in line, and being the guinea pig for all the startup gremlins. I need a bit more factual information and real world shakedown to commit to a mid-30K purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Aaah, Wolfie, don't be a logical spoil-sport. We are supposed to be emotion crazed, bleeding edge, early adopters here! (tongue firmly planted in cheek!)
      09-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Sorry for being too pragmatic. I'm long overdue for a new car, and the wait is wearing me out too, but I've seen and experienced too much downside in the early adoptor position and have learned to avoid it. In a car, you pay full retail for an unrefined product, its a bad bet.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #13
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
In a car, you pay full retail for an unrefined product, its a bad bet.
Huh?

N54 has been rigorously tested and now in the 3 and 5 (current 2008) series production. Revised fuel pump is in engines for 6 mos.
And even that was a somewhat false scare mostly attributed to chuckleheads in the U.S. pouring ethanol-mixes and
low octane/cheapo detergent gas into their fuel tanks.

The hatch has been out since 2003. And updated in 2007 models
with some suspension tweaks, new headlights.
This is not an "unrefined product".
This is not a model that hasn't gone thru scrutiny and massaging.

I do not understand the early adopter scare tactic.
The only thing that might be scary is the price tag which I suspect is another false alarm.

If you are worried about how the 1-er chassis handles the N54 then you can get the N52 and save yourself thousands.
There may be a glitch or two in the first cars off the assembly lines (which will very likely be caught in the first batch of Euro-models)
I am not worried about "unrefined". By the time the 1-er gets here it really should be on par with BMW standards. They are not going to blow this one.

There is too much at stake as the car goes into ownership of a certain percentage of people who (likely) have never owned a bimmer or even a German automobile and expect the thing to run with the (uneventful) precision of a refrigerator/Japanese brand automobile.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I would never put money down for a car I have never seen, sat in, or driven. Plus, no matter how good the car is, I wont take a bad deal on it which is probably what the first few months of sales will be like.
Agreed...

I'll probably wait till all the hoopla dies down and prices come down from msrp... even if it means getting a 2009...

Heck, I don't even know if I am even serious about buying a 1-series until I see official US pricing... I definitely won't buy a car I haven't driven, and think it's foolish to be on a list for a car that I don't even know what the final cost will be...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #15
chessie1629
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Euro delivery

I plan on taking euro delivery in July next year. I don't think I will need to get in line for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessie1629 View Post
I plan on taking euro delivery in July next year. I don't think I will need to get in line for that.
That's right, ED cars do not come out of the dealer's allotment.
      09-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #17
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm one of the top 3 (I was third on the list but was the only one with a deposit down.)

However, the possibility of Euro Delivery excites me.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
well if you have a decent dealer you can get on the waiting list for no cost and they don't charge over list. being a true BMW fanatic I know I'm going to love it and my sales guy just got to sit in one a couple weeks ago so I grilled him on it a bit
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #19
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Not on the list yet.

Don't see a point before official Canadian pricing is released at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

I dont pay retail, therefore I dont get on waiting lists...

Wait, I guess I did wait for an `02 RSX-S in `01, but I still didnt pay retail, and the $500 deposit was refundable if I didnt like the test drive...

I did pretty much buy my ZHP without see'ing it. Just pictures on the internet, agreed on a price, approved for financing, hitched a ride to Dallas and signed after a test drive...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #21
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Last night we drove over to Bavaria for an appointment we had, the guy was doing a delivery so we sat down for a few minutes, during which he gave us a toy car (Z3) for the boy to play with.

After he finished up he went over some the information he had and since I had never driven a bmw before, he let me take a 328i for a drive.

It was nice ride, decent power, solid feeling, quiet on the hwy, comfortable seats(leatherette), the only downside was he only had an Auto so I didn't get to check out the the 6 spd.

The biggest difference I noticed from the XR and the Galant was that altough the steering felt heavier, it felt like you were in this safe little capsule and it just felt like a quality product.

All-in-all it feels weird to have put down a deposit on a vehicle I haven't even seen in person yet, but at the same time it makes me excited to know that I'm 1 step closer to putting one in my garage...too bad that means that there won't be room for the XR anymore though...

Now it's just to wait for BMW to release pricing and let me know If I'll be taking back that deposit, or trying to sell a car in the spring:iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #22
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

So I just got an e-mail from Edmonton BMW yesterday saying that they currently don't have anyone on their list yet for the 128i.

So if anyone wants to be #1....:thumbup:

As for the deposit there, it's $1000, but I've gotten different responses from different salespeople as to whether it's refundable or not:iono:
Appreciate 0