BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
oldblue
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
Has any one ever considered the OTHER reason for run flats?

My last flat was in 1991 or 1992. continentals on the 300E. I've had no flats with Porsche, Acura, BMW, STI or plain old Legacy GT -- ever!!

Now, consider -- perhaps the reason BMW has gone with the run flats may have far less to do with weight, balance or safety than it has to do with LAWYERS and law suits? Nasty things, those law suits if a blow out leads to an injury.

My advice on the run flats... keep 'em if you've got lots of money and don't care to waste it, or to settle for lower performance. What to do with the run flats?

Sell 'em on ebay or through the forum to someone who doesn't want to pay
a fortune for a replacement.

Then ENJOY the car..........

mike
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Honestly, I feel that car manufacturers are not the ones to blame if a flat or a blow out occurs. A blow out should blamed upon the tire manufacturers and not the auto manufacturers. Of course unless the blow out was due to driver negligence in which case it is the sole responsibility of the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by menotakoala View Post
Honestly, I feel that car manufacturers are not the ones to blame if a flat or a blow out occurs.
Errr... Isn't a blow out usually the ROAD's fault? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Most blowouts are failures due to under-inflation. Nearly everone knows that they should check tire pressures. Almost no one really does it as often as they should. Tires that are run under-inflated develop excessive heat leading to a failure. There are also some due to manufacturing defects in the tires. Auto manufacturers are rarely the root cause for the failure.

[Yes, this does include the Firestone/Ford Explorer silliness from a few years back.]
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
perhaps the reason BMW has gone with the run flats may have far less to do with weight, balance or safety than it has to do with LAWYERS and law suits? Nasty things, those law suits if a blow out leads to an injury.
Non issue. In order to make a successful case against regular tires, you'd have to show BMW is taking an unnecessary risk (or greater than average risk) by installing conventional tires. Also, why wouldn't it be the tiremakers fault?

If you snuck yourself into the E-ring of the Pentagon and got on the governments most powerful supercomputer, the math would still come out the same. Runflats=crap.
Appreciate 0