BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Car cannot start error

08-18-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
TrojanBMW714
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, X5

Car cannot start error

I though I would share my experience with an engine error and my local dealership in SoCal. Upon starting my 2019 M550i, I saw an error (don’t recall exact wording) engine cannot start; call roadside assistance. The funny thing was the car did start with no problem. This happen periodically 3x so I decided to take it to my dealership. This car is still under CPO.

The dealership quoted a diagnostics charge $235 which would be removed if I did the service or covered by BMW. After several days, (many conversions between machanic and BMW) they told me my auxiliary battery is at 50%. Before further diagnosis, I need to replace the battery… $800. I was hesitant because this may or may not fix my issue. I negotiated a battery replacement for $565. A day later, they said everything looks good and I picked up the car. The following day, I got the same error and now I’m very upset thinking I didn’t have to replace the battery.

Long story short, it was the starter and it was covered by CPO. The dealership is telling me the error can be the combination of the two and I would have had to replace the battery eventually. I’m calling BS but what can I do. I made a call to BMW customer service but nothing is going to happen.

Just sharing in case someone can learn from my experience.

Fight On!
Appreciate 1
jimk104.00
      08-24-2023, 10:06 PM   #2
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

I have been experiencing a similar situation. Occasionally, tthe engine won't start and I receive a similar message. On a second attempt, it starts right up. Strange.
Is the aux batt the little one on the right rear of the engine compartment, under a little plastic cover?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 11:13 PM   #3
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW714 View Post
I though I would share my experience with an engine error and my local dealership in SoCal. Upon starting my 2019 M550i, I saw an error (don’t recall exact wording) engine cannot start; call roadside assistance. The funny thing was the car did start with no problem. This happen periodically 3x so I decided to take it to my dealership. This car is still under CPO.

The dealership quoted a diagnostics charge $235 which would be removed if I did the service or covered by BMW. After several days, (many conversions between machanic and BMW) they told me my auxiliary battery is at 50%. Before further diagnosis, I need to replace the battery… $800. I was hesitant because this may or may not fix my issue. I negotiated a battery replacement for $565. A day later, they said everything looks good and I picked up the car. The following day, I got the same error and now I’m very upset thinking I didn’t have to replace the battery.

Long story short, it was the starter and it was covered by CPO. The dealership is telling me the error can be the combination of the two and I would have had to replace the battery eventually. I’m calling BS but what can I do. I made a call to BMW customer service but nothing is going to happen.

Just sharing in case someone can learn from my experience.
Id say the motor dies “eventually” too but that doesn’t mean you have to replace it prematurely. I’m not a mechanic but if the main battery dies then the aux battery is used to start to car if I’m not mistake. So I think this was poor diagnosis on the dealership side. Unless they replaced both batteries ?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Do you use the auto start stop function? I wonder if that’s what caused the starter failure and possibly the battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 10:25 PM   #5
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

Mine is coded off. My error message said something akin to the start procedure having timed out.
Appreciate 0