BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
destruct007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

deposit, final price negotiations?

if you put a deposit down and there is high demand for the car, are you going to get price gouged or will you be able in anyway to negotiate the price of the car? Seems like they have you over a barrel. Or do you expect to just pay MSRP?
So if you wait and don't put a deposit down, you're probably in a better position to get the price down a tad.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
searay6777
Rep
Drives:

I put a deposit down yesterday. My CA and I did not discuss price as it has not been released. We basically spec'd it out based on 3 series options. We will discuss price later but there is no way I would pay more than MSRP and expect to negotiate it for less. If you wait you may be limit to floor stock, of course you can custom order at any time and get exactly what you want. I would bet if they price the car at the lower end of what this sites surveys estimate, price will be more sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

All a deposit does is put you higher up in the pecking order to negotiate the price of one of the cars in a dealer's allocation. It's up to the dealer on what price they will accept and up to you whether that price is acceptable. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Negotiating is always worth doing. Whether it gets you anywhere at the debut of the 1-er is questionable. I don't expect much if I get it first thing.

On the other hand I have a deposit, I'm on the waiting list...maybe there's hope for a small discount.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

I suspect that most Centers will demand MSRP. Obviously those of you that have already put a deposit down and 9 months prior to the release, are highly interested in the 1er Coupe. At this point they (Center) believe that they have you over a barrel and if you do not want it there will be others in line waiting.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I am mailing my deposit check tomorrow. We agreed to MSRP with no dealer adds, exactly the car I want, refundable deposit. Not agreeing on MSRP runs the risk of the dealer requesting ADM when it comes time to order. It's also possible I negotiated myself out of a discount. :iono: Most hot cars sell for sticker or above. I would never pay over MSRP for a car, but I don't have a lot of heartburn about paying sticker for the car if it gets me exactly the spec I want. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #7
searay6777
Rep
Drives:

Congrats. just hang tight. Where in texas? They seem to be as clueless as we are at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #8
mexglx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Performance Delivery

My friend said to order it and get the performance delivery. He has been racing 2002's with his dad 4ever and has all kinds of 3ers. He said he got his new 335i in Spartanburg under this performance delivery program and it was the next best thing to Euro delivery. Anyone else got $.02 on theis performance delivery program?

He got one of the 1st 335i's and put a $250 deposit in Cincinnati and negotiated off MSRP. I'll opt for the same type of deal. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

I'm 1st on my dealers list. I will do ED to get my discount.

Can't wait.

-Mateo
      08-10-2007, 06:58 AM   #10
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Skip the deposit, don't look like you're as excited as you are, and if you already have a decent car make sure you mention you don't HAVE to have this 135i. Be prepared to wait a bit if the dealer demands MSRP, or surf to another dealer.

I moonlighted as a car salesman for awhile, and rest assured salesman love those who put deposits down on "hot" (or perceived to be hot) models.

Unless you have to be the first one on the block to get one, or its a limited edition, be a little patient, make some chitchat, and your salesman will clue you in on when he's ready to deal :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

The 335 was an engine update to an existing car. Scoring a discount on one shouldn't have been difficult. The hardcore were probably waiting for the new M3 at that point, anyway.

Who knows where 1 sales will go? The car may just be too small for American tastes. But I'm betting the first batches are sold out before they hit dealer lots. Shelby GT500s are only now coming close to sticker price. Z06 Vettes are still sold for sticker (if you're lucky). And I shudder to think what some people are agreeing to to get the new M3. Even Civic Sis took almost a year to come off sticker price. I can't see the 1-Series being any different.

If you don't mind waiting, then good for you. I don't mind putting down a refundable deposit on a car I've been looking forward to for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
Ultimate_Driving_Machine
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexglx View Post
He got one of the 1st 335i's and put a $250 deposit in Cincinnati and negotiated off MSRP. I'll opt for the same type of deal. :roundel:
mexglx-

Was your friend able to negotiate below MSRP when he put down his deposit, or did he negotiate below MSRP once his car arrived at the dealership?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #13
Panda J
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay6777 View Post
Congrats. just hang tight. Where in texas? They seem to be as clueless as we are at this point.
Hey Im in houston and I think everyone in houston should go to the dealer at once and demand the same price...Kinda like a group buy!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Skip the deposit, don't look like you're as excited as you are, and if you already have a decent car make sure you mention you don't HAVE to have this 135i. Be prepared to wait a bit if the dealer demands MSRP, or surf to another dealer.

I moonlighted as a car salesman for awhile, and rest assured salesman love those who put deposits down on "hot" (or perceived to be hot) models.

Unless you have to be the first one on the block to get one, or its a limited edition, be a little patient, make some chitchat, and your salesman will clue you in on when he's ready to deal :thumbup:
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
gflight2002
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Invoice Plus

If you are putting down a deposit the best approach is to offer the dealer invoice plus like $500.00 to $1000.00 additional, - - whatever you feel is a good deal. Most dealers will probably be reluctant to accept this but . . . there wiil be some that will.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #16
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by destruct007 View Post
if you put a deposit down and there is high demand for the car, are you going to get price gouged or will you be able in anyway to negotiate the price of the car? Seems like they have you over a barrel. Or do you expect to just pay MSRP?
So if you wait and don't put a deposit down, you're probably in a better position to get the price down a tad.
I doubt it that anyone will have to pay the MSRP, in the end, it's still a 1-series and not an M limited edition. You should be able to negotiate the price and expect to pay a fair price. It wouldn't be a steal, but you shouldn't get ripped off either. And putting a deposit down has really nothing to do with having leverage in the negotiation process. Remember, all deposits are refundable.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #17
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
And putting a deposit down has really nothing to do with having leverage in the negotiation process. Remember, all deposits are refundable.
Sure it does, Irv. The sharks know you HAVE to have that car

In the end, you're right. This isn't an M, or any other limited production car. Dealers will try to squeeze a little extra profit when it first hits the lots, though, especially to those who let on they have to have that 1er. I predict a few months later, after the initial hype has died down, the 1er will be just like any other on-the-lot BMW: negotiable.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Our center is stating MSRP only for the 1-Series coupe. They are expecting the profit margin to be even smaller than the 3-Series.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
They are expecting the profit margin to be even smaller than the 3-Series.
Bingo. The dollar/Euro exchange rate is horrible. BMW isn't likely to leave much breathing room between invoice and MSRP because they simply can't afford to.

With margins so low, why would dealers give you a discount when there are slews of people willing to pay MSRP for one? Every car guy I know wants this car. Every car magazine I read says something like "our staffers want this car for themselves." This is the kind of car that car enthusiasts live for. In which universe do you expect to waltz into a dealership and order up a 135i for anything close to invoice?

If it can happen with a Honda Civic Si (for an entire year) it can certainly happen with a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
searay6777
Rep
Drives:

I agree with Irv. I told my ca that if I cant wait then I willl buy the 335 coupe and it may not be from him. I want this engine and related sheet metal and can't say how I will behave when I see it live....but I will not get screwed on hte deal. We, as a group, will buy the car early and bitch because we know we will.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #21
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Fait Accompli

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
I doubt it that anyone will have to pay the MSRP, in the end, it's still a 1-series and not an M limited edition. You should be able to negotiate the price and expect to pay a fair price. It wouldn't be a steal, but you shouldn't get ripped off either. And putting a deposit down has really nothing to do with having leverage in the negotiation process. Remember, all deposits are refundable.
As usual Irv posts the most level-headed comments. Everyone, including myself thinks that the 1-er is going to be a huge hit...
one that combines performance, great design and BMW quality at a relatively fair market price. But what if this car is a sales bomb?
It could happen...easily.

A Perfect Storm

This is merely speculation done in the torpor of waiting for more official info- but here's a doomsday scenario in no particluar order.

37k msrp for 135. Don't think it could happen? Check out the dollar's value to the Euro.
It's dropping...not precipitously, no, even more scary: slowly, steadily day-by-day.
I'm guessing that 37k is the magic number that wipes 50% of initial sales right off the board. You might have a different cut-off number. 37k and I walk.

Fewer Options Packages. Maybe you don't want the 337M Sportpacket, 261M wheels, Lemon leather,
or the cloth option, or the sports seats, LeMans Blue, black chrome interior trim (Schwarz hochglanzend) these just from a list that I'm interested in.
I want all the choices available from the full bag of goodies the Germans get.
We're BMW's 2nd largest market...but I don't want to be treated like a second-class citizen.

From Burner to Econo-box. Perception is everything.
What if there are few(er) takers for the 135 than initially thought?
And the money and the numbers go to the 128-imagine how someone interested in an economical entry-level BMW might build their car?
No "M" package. No sports suspension.
You want to see some ugly wheels available for the 128 in Europe? Oh yeah, they are there on the German dealer sheet.
There's not a car on the road that looks better than a bimmer with great wheels...but how about all those 3-series you see with goofy wheels? (Maybe folks in your neck of the woods have better taste- but I see I see god-awful wheels on 3-ers all the time.)
Now paint this baby silver and you've got something that might indeed be a great car - but it sure won't look special.

Like I said, this is all speculative.
But there are some major mistakes BMW could make upon introduction far more serious than sales centers cutting fewer deals on 135's base msrp'd at 34k.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #22
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

From my perspective, the real problem will be BMW's. They have to decide what pricing will be given the pressures on the dollar, their need to attract a younger audience into the marque (there is no graceful step-up from the Mini at the moment), and the likelihood that there will be strong competition in this segment from the Japanese and a renewed GM (Lutz, who worked for BMW at one point in his career, is being used to good advantage at GM - they are turning their product around rapidly - their interiors are finally graduating from 'Playskool' basic).

If at the end of next summer overpriced 135s are languishing in dealer lots - oh well, there'll be some bargains for those who wait.

Personally - the perfect storm I envision is that they really do come through with the driving dynamics, the press goes gaga over the car and demand outstrips supply. And we're all left trying to purchase a car at MSRP and having to wait for something that tickles our fancy (that ain't loaded to the gills) with all the usual ADM (Additional Delaer Markup - "you want the car, then buy the paint protection bucko!" ; -).
Appreciate 0