BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
xxx123
Rep
Drives:

Call me OLD SCHOOL

I really like the new 1 series. But, after I read, or luckily I read the new technical highlights (new alternator, new water pump etc), I figured it will be a pain in the a$$ for fix or repair. I am able to handle most of the repair myself...But, all these technical highlighs really make me think twice. I plan to keep it for many years (like my dad for his 2002).....I figured the extended warranty will be super expensive and necessary due all these updates. Or even "DEALER SERVICE ONLY OR DEALER ITEMS ONLY."

Also, there is no statistcis to show how reliable for these electric H2O pumps/clever alternator will last. The new alternator is another concern. I can tell you all THESE electrical stuff won't last long......And, we all know the electrical systems for the Bimmer...

I am not bashing, but its sad that for these technical highlights may force some people to leave the new BMW alone....& consider the others....

Tell mw what u think!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I kinda am considering it because of the technical highlights.

The electric water pump may be one of the reasons I'll consider purchasing a turbo again. They can run the water pump after shutdown to force coolant through the turbos, hopefully reducing the chance of 'coking' the bearings (which I've done before - talk about Minnesota Mosquito Abatement control - it'll put out more smoke than a Weber grill and 20 pounds of soggy charcoal ; -).

The electric steering rack is something that I was initially leary of, I have not had good experiences with electrically assisted steering racks. But after driving a Z4 Saturday (with an electric rack) I came away feeling OK about it. And BMW has said they are working to provide enhanced steering feel with the rack on the 1er coupe. Actually there is less to fail on the electric rack than on a hydraulic rack.

The alternator really doesn't scare me all that much - it would appear to be just an alternator that is 'clutched' with a few lines of code in the ECU software telling the clutch when to engage. The alternator's a part that may fail over time and it probably will cost more to replace than a regular alternator - but then replacement parts on a BMW were never Toyota/Honda cheap to begin with. ; -)

The direct injection is another incredibly innovative feature that allows some really neat tricks with valve timing. The torque curve on the N54 engine is outstanding.

The cost of this complexity may be in higher replacement parts prices - but with this complexity we'll have a ~3200 lb car with a 3.0L engine that produces a ~5.0 sec 0-60 time and it will still deliver about 30 MPG on the highway and in the 20s in town (as long as I'm not driving it ; -).

Your concerns are valid - fortunately there is a record of these systems use in the existing BMW fleet - we just need to do a little digging to see if any of them are failing at rates higher than normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
xxx123
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for your qucik reply. I also read your reply @ the other link. Do you knwo if the current 3 series are also using the same highlights?

Back to the 1 series, do we know for sure that if the 128i will apply all these highlights?

Thanks again!!

Do you have any more refernce material that you can share with us? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
xxx123
Rep
Drives:

Ok...my final major concern is that:

Will the 128i be a "MILD HYBRIDS??""

Is it true or false?

I do not want to be the pioneer for this!!

Thanks again....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

You are OLD SCHOOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

No - I don't think they are going to do any of the goofy D cell battery numbers on the the 128. There are so many compromises and penalties to doing battery/electric assist with a 'sports car' - either a Honda approach or the better Toyota approach - that I just don't see it being done. Don't get me wrong, I've driven a few Hybrids (Prius, Insight, Civic, Escape, Highlander, and that Lexus luxobarge with the 'look at me I'm green', sticker on the back ; -) and they are good at what they are - but I wouldn't consider any of them as 'sporty'.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You are OLD SCHOOL.
And I'm just OLD. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

The 2002 your dad bought back in the day was once considered as a technological marvel.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
The 2002 your dad bought back in the day was once considered as a technological marvel.
So if the 135i coupe is the rebirth of the 2002, does that mean that the 135i will also be a technological marvel for our time?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #10
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by menotakoala View Post
So if the 135i coupe is the rebirth of the 2002, does that mean that the 135i will also be a technological marvel for our time?
To some extent. Point is they bought something new back therefore there is no point to be afraid of buying something new again.
Appreciate 0