BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Spoonie
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X MR

The 120d's engine has a oil-dipstick, why not the Turbo?

I'm confused. The 120d‘s engine has a dipstick (as per the brochure). Why in the hell would BMW not include a dipstick on the turbo motor? It just seems stupid if you ask me. Something as critical as Oil level is now being monitored solely by an electronic sensor. What if the sensor fails?

BMW claims to be drivers cars but they are taking away several items in which drivers feel are important. I like checking my oil, smelling the oil on the dipstick, and looking at the color of the oil on a white tissue. BMW has taken that away from me. Not to mention that I won’t be able to use my Dipstick Oil-extractor that I've used to change oil on my E46 for the last 3 years. BMW's Oil filters are on the top of the engine (under the hood). I don’t even have to go under the car to change the Oil! Oh well, nothing is perfect I guess. It just upsets me that BMW fixed a problem that wasn't broken and limits the methods used to check Oil to an electronic sensor. I’ve had other sensors fail in my BMW so I’m not too happy about the prospect of a failed sensor leading to a destroyed engine.

Gripe session over.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

I heard talkings that BMW might bring back dipsticks on 2008 models. It seems the technicians were getting a bit upset not being able to easily check the oil level without completely draining it. I hope it's true. (Not that I plan on changing my own oil. I'd rather pay $70 for an oil change at my dealer) <-- Assumes BMW is watching.
Appreciate 0