BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

BMW Z2? AutoCar & AutoExpress Say "YES!"

Ready, z-eady, go for baby BMW
Auto Express's network of spies have been on Z alert all month... and finally, their patience has paid off!

AutoExpress, July 17.
We can reveal that BMW is set to unleash a sporty three-door coupé which will blend the company's reputation for building exciting drivers' cars with low prices like never before.

Called the Z2, the machine revealed here will spearhead a new class of desirable, affordable coupés, and it's set to go head-to-head with Volkswagen's new Scirocco.

This is the new baby BMW many sports car fans have been waiting for. Based on the 1-Series platform, the rear-wheel-drive, front-engined model will be available as either a coupé or roadster, and both variants will offer a competitively priced alternative to the next-generation Z4 sports models.

The Z2 will be the last member of the expanding 1-Series family to arrive - both three-door and cabriolet variants will have gone on sale before it.

Advanced prototype versions of these two models have already been caught on test by Auto Express spy photographers. The imminent introduction of the 3-Series CC - with its folding metal roof - has left a gap in the range for a fabric-top cabrio, hence the launch of the 1-Series convertible.

Yet while BMW's new 1-Series variants are set to be unveiled next year, the Z2 will remain under wraps for a bit longer. Expected to appear in 2009, its launch is being timed to coincide with the on-sale date of the second-generation Z4. BMW is concentrating on offering a pure driving experience with the Z2, and it will be tuned to be sportier than the rest of the 1-Series line-up. Although engines will be borrowed from the 1, by the time the new model goes on sale, the company will have added the latest turbocharged units to the hatchback range.

The flagship twin-turbo powerplant is shared with the new 335i Coupé, and will deliver blistering performance, while a naturally aspirated 3.0-litre straight-six will also be offered. The majority of Z2 variants sold will come with four-cylinder engines as BMW tries to keep prices to a minimum.

To ensure the new machine has the looks to match its performance, it will be given extra visual muscle with the use of short front and rear overhangs and a large BMW front grille. Other design cues will be adopted from the maker's Mille Miglia Concept Coupé, which was revealed in May this year.
Inside, the coupé variant above has room for four. The design of the dash will be similar to that of the 1-Series, while keeping costs down without compromising quality will be a priority.

The convertible model's fabric hood will save weight, space and cost. BMW engineers are set to use the same fully electric mechanism as the Z4 Roadster, and the top will disappear in a matter of seconds at the touch of a button.

While it's far too early for BMW to be disclosing specification details, prices for the Z2 are likely to start at around £19,000 for entry-level variants, rising to £30,000 for flagship models.

Yet these small sports models won't be the only addition to the Z-car line-up. At the top of the range, the German giant will reintroduce the Z8.

The exclusive V8-powered two-seat roadster was originally launched back in 2000, and its successor will aim to move BMW into the supercar elite once again. Expect to see a completely new V10-engined Z8 in 2009.

A note of caution...AutoExpress is extremely unreliable and the photoshop
image (taken from an earlier photoshop of VW's upcoming Scirocco) is pure speculation...BUT...more grist for the mill.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

So they're saying that the coupe/cabrio based off the 1-series will be called the Z2 !?! That's odd that a coupe would have a "Z" designation.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

Yeah, that's the way I read it too.
AutoExpress is a breathless publication that hypes everything-
and gets a lot of their info wrong...take this article with a grain of salt.
"Other design cues will be adopted from the makers Mille Miglia coupe."
!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

"Yet while BMW's new 1-Series variants are set to be unveiled next year, the Z2 will remain under wraps for a bit longer."

I saw this and thought, WTF does this mean? Does this mean there will be seperate variants (with a coupe and convert) and then a whole different Z2 line?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep

Over on GCZ.com the two BMW insiders (Enilab and Scott 26) each say there's only going to be a coupe and cabrio versions off of the 1-er architecture with the cabrio preceeding the coupe in the U.S. by a couple months.

Both deny that there will be a hatchback version coming to the U.S. either in the guise of the current 5 door or the 3 door variant.

Both deny there will be a Z2 roadster, though according to Enilab there is a full scale mock-up in clay that is now on hold with no future plans to market it.

However, there is this....from LeftLaneNews.com

The cover of the latest issue of Germany's AutoBild magazine features an artist's illustration of the forthcoming BMW Z2. While we don't have specific details on the rumor, the Z2 appears to be a small roadster slotted beneath the Z4 range. In May, AutoWeek and AutoCar reported BMW was working on a new roadster called the Z2, in addition to the much-rumored Z6. While it's almost certain a smaller roadster is under consideration at BMW, we suspect it may receive a name other than Z2. As previously noted by Leftlane News, BMW published the names Z1 and Z5 for opposition at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on January 17, 2006. Regardless of its name, the new roadster looks like it will introduce some new styling cues to BMW's design language, including some unusual 3D headlamps. Update: Auto Zeitung is also reporting in its latest issue that BMW is planning a Z2 for the 2009 model year. However, the report suggests a coupe model will also be offered.
source: Leftlanenews.com

I have a bunch of reservations about these plans...for instance>
release the 1-er hatchback right away in the U.S. > 3 door/5 door...either model I would be very interested in buying.
Release the coupe 2-er first...in spite of what Enilab says about BMW's dealership's buzz about the cabrio, it's the coupe that everyone wants.
Oh, and by the way, there are leaked photos floating around on the web...not photoshops, of Volvo's production version 3- door C30 hatchback, which is coming to the U.S. in the fall of 2007.
What happened to America's alledged dislike for hatch's?

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Hi. First post on this forum. Love the subject matter -- I feel I am among bretheren with all this talk of small BMWs. Can wait.

Down to business. The Z2 seems far fetched to me. BMW has always been careful not to dilute the brand. While there may be room for more coupes and sedans, I find it hard to believe (as much as I'd like to) that the 2-seater market will absorb another coupe/cabrio 2-seater from BMW, what with MX-5s, Solstices and other excellent roadsters available in the lower price range.

BMW has staked its territority with an excellent revised Z4 and the heart throb M coupe, but I can't see them pricing a Z2 to be competitive with the MX-5/Solstice. Even with the Bimmer logo, a soft top Z2 may have a hard time competing price-wise with a retractable hardtop MX-5.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest
Hi. First post on this forum. Love the subject matter -- I feel I am among bretheren with all this talk of small BMWs. Can wait.

Down to business. The Z2 seems far fetched to me. BMW has always been careful not to dilute the brand. While there may be room for more coupes and sedans, I find it hard to believe (as much as I'd like to) that the 2-seater market will absorb another coupe/cabrio 2-seater from BMW, what with MX-5s, Solstices and other excellent roadsters available in the lower price range.

BMW has staked its territority with an excellent revised Z4 and the heart throb M coupe, but I can't see them pricing a Z2 to be competitive with the MX-5/Solstice. Even with the Bimmer logo, a soft top Z2 may have a hard time competing price-wise with a retractable hardtop MX-5.
Welcome to the forum. We definately are a very like minded group it seems .

I too question whether a Z2 would be worth it for BMW as a brand. It definately puts into perspective just how delicate they are being with the 1/2 series here. I bet there have been some very interesting behind close doors meetings....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 05:08 AM   #8
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

AGreed with the general conscensus that the Z2 is just a load of hot air I think a small BMW coupe is a natural car, but as a true 1/2 series coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest

Welcome Spudwest...Yeah, I think the Z2 almost clouds the issue- a small sporty BMW...which the 2-series coupe fits.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

More AutoBild photoshops of the Z2.
New Models: BMW working on Z2 sports car?

BMW is working on an entry-level 'Z2' roadster and coupe, speculates German magazine Auto Bild this week.

This model is said to be a potential rival for the Mazda MX-5 and four-cylinder versions of the Audi TT, Mercedes-Benz SLK and suchlike. It is to be shorter, narrower and lighter in weight than the Z4, and will be clearly differentiated in its design from that model.

However, despite being small, the Z2 will not necessarily be slow: a 300bhp turbocharged engine is suggested for the M-series version. Auto Bild says that although the Z2 'has not been given the official green light, rumour has it being considered for a 2010 launch.' It also suggests that stripped-out, roofless Caterham-style Speedster versions for more hardcore track use will follow.

Such a model would give BMW the chance to take on upcoming lightweight sports models such as the Nissan Urge and the VW-KTM roadster as well as the affordable MX-5 - and it's a market niche many manufacturers are vying to get into, not least because offering such lightweights brings down the average fuel economy of their fleets, as demanded by US legislation.

Source: Channel 4/UK
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

This car is still pure fantasy (tho not a bad one) at this point. BMW seems to be sluggish on introducing all new models since its solidly in the phase of updating current models (ie the 3 series coupe, the x5), but now that both of those cars are released, it seems next on the list is the small car from BMW (more then likely a 1/2 series coupe rather then a z2)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

2010 BMW Z2

New BMW roadster to compete in less pricey MX-5 Miata segment.
Z2 should sell for less than $30,000 when it appears, most likely in 2010.

BY JUERGEN ZOELLTER, October 2006, Car&Driver

According to sources inside BMW, the German automaker plans to launch a roadster priced well below the current Z4, which starts at $36,295. Although the price has not been set, the new two-seat droptop, dubbed the Z2, is expected to occupy the sub-$30,000 roadster segment that is currently dominated by the Pontiac Solstice and Mazda MX-5. The successor to today’s Z4 will remain near $40,000 and will continue to compete against the Audi TT, Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350Z, and Chevrolet Corvette.

The upcoming bargain-basement two-seater will reportedly be based on the chassis and components of the current Z4, but it will measure a mere 151 inches in length, making it about 10 inches shorter than today’s Z4. Styling for the Z2 is in the process of being finalized, but we expect the diminutive roadster to have short overhangs and 19-inch wheels. Our artist’s rendering provides an idea of what BMW might have in store for its Solstice and MX-5 fighter.

Unlike today’s Z4, which is powered exclusively by six-cylinder engines, the Z2 will only get four-cylinder power. However, those engines will range in strength from 150 horsepower in base versions all the way to a turbocharged 300-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the M-tuned version. An expected curb weight of 2800 pounds should allow the Z2 to make the most of that power. Transmission choices will include a traditional manual and — surprise, surprise — a double-clutch gearbox similar to Volkswagen/Audi’s DSG. BMW plans on replacing its rough-shifting sequential manual gearboxes with smoother DSG-like transmissions before the end of the decade.

To keep costs down, a nearly identical chassis to today’s Z4 will underpin the Z2 — struts up front with a multilink setup in back — but there will be the option of adjustable shocks. The electric power-steering rack from the Z4 will also live on in the Z2, with optional variable-ratio active steering.

Set to go on sale in 2010, the made-in-America BMW Z2 should add some German flavor to a segment dominated by the Americans and Japanese.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #13
Brookside
Major
Rep

BMW likely to build new roadster in S.C.

Smaller entry-level Z2 is expected to begin production by 2010

A Detroit automotive magazine has reported BMW is considering building a smaller version of its roadster to be called the Z2 — probably to be built in Spartanburg as soon as 2010.

The car is likely to be limited to a four-cylinder engine and designed to compete with the Mazda Miata, according to AutoWeek.

“Details remain scarce, but insiders say the new entry-level model would take at least four years to bring to market, suggesting it probably won’t arrive until after the next-generation Z4 arrives in 2009,” AutoWeek reported.

“As with the Z4, the new car is likely to share components with the existing 1 Series and 3 Series models to keep costs down and streamline development. That makes it highly likely the Z2 will be built alongside the next-generation Z4 at BMW’s plant in Spartanburg,” it said.

BMW’s sales of Z4s have risen 10 percent through August. If that rate holds, BMW would sell about 11,000 Z4s this year, far short of the 20,169 cars sold in 2003, the roadster’s first full year on the market after replacing the Z3.

A 2006 Z4 starts at $36,300, compared with $22,000 for a Mazda Miata. Mazda sold about 9,800 to 10,000 Miatas yearly from 2003 through 2005, but sales through August have more than doubled, reaching 12,558 cars for the first eight months of this year.

— Jim DuPlessis/The State News (South Carolina)
Appreciate 0