ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Eibach Pro-Kit Impressions ***Updated w/ pics***

Hello everyone,
I've had a few people ask me about my recent Eibach springs installation, so I figured I would just make a thread (needed to post pics anyway!).

Ride - Ride is seemingly improved. That is, road imperfections seem much less harsh and "sharp," though they are still noticeable (but in a good way). I imagine run-flat tires would also improve upon this. Tracking seems much truer, although I attribute this more to the alignment. Overall, if stock ride (sport susp, run-flats) was rated 5/10 for demonstrative sake, I'd give the Eibach's a 7-7.5/10.

Handling - I haven't yet had a chance to really push the car, so I can't fully give my impressions. On freeway exit ramps though, the car seems a bit more controlled and "refined." I am going on a drive with a few buddies of mine this Sunday, so I will report back with a more thorough review.

Drop - The drop is absolutely perfect. Just the right amount to close the gap between my 18" ellipsoids and the fender, both front and rear. I'm expecting close to a 1.5" drop after they settle in a little (I think Eibach claims a 1.25" drop). No rubbing issues with stock shocks. Drop is a 9/10. It just completes the look of the car.

All in all, if you're on the fence about installing aftermarket springs, I'd say go for it, 100%. The swap was done at Bimmerworld in Dublin, VA (owned by James Clay, a family friend and very skilled driver) for $80/hr x 3hr (including alignment). Money well spent.

Best,
Zach

P.S. Check out Bimmerworld's website at: http://www.bimmerworld.com

***Update***: Had a chance to push the car this weekend, and wow did it shine! It's almost hard to explain, but it seemed as though it was "easier" to push it to the max - like it was begging for more through each turn. I could tell no discernible difference in amount of body roll, but behavior in the turns seemed much more composed, "smoother," and less "jumpy" than the stock springs. 8.5/10

Pics are attached. My driveway is not level and thus the car may look a bit higher than in reality. My subjective measurement is about 1 finger's worth (3/4") between tire and fender.

Few artsy pics just for the hell of it.

Last edited by jzmundy; 02-01-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Thanks for the post. Let us know what your thoughts are after things have settled in and you've had a chance for some spirited driving. What did you end up with for camber values?
      01-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
jzmundy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Thanks for the post. Let us know what your thoughts are after things have settled in and you've had a chance for some spirited driving. What did you end up with for camber values?
Camber and toe were adjusted to stock specs! Will definitely report back w/ pics, further impressions!
      01-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy07 View Post
Camber and toe were adjusted to stock specs! Will definitely report back w/ pics, further impressions!
Did you need camber plates/bushings?
      01-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
jzmundy
Major
Rep

Nope, no extra bits needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
spg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IR Z4mC

pics?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
jzmundy
Major
Rep

bump for pics
      02-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Good to hear that everything is working well and that you see a noticeable improvement. If I understand correctly, you changed only the springs and the alignment settings were reset to factory; the difference in handling is due to the springs?

As a favor to the forum, after you get a few miles on and the springs have fully settled, please measure the ride height of the front and rear and post. Use the distance from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender arch. I'll add those values to another thread on this forum for those who are thinking about changeing springs/lowering their car.

Car looks great in your pics.
      02-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
jzmundy
Major
Rep

Will do! Thanks!
      02-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will do! Thanks!
Off Topic....How do you like your Dinan ram air duct? Feel any difference, worth the money? thks
      02-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
jzmundy
Major
Rep

To be honest, I bought the car with all the Dinan bits already installed - I guess I can't give you an accurate description. Although, having played passenger in a stock '04 3.0, I will say that the combo of Dinan intake (and possibly ram-air duct) + foamless engine subwoofer = sweet sweet music in the cabin under throttle.
      02-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Interesting, you were able to get the camber and toe adjusted back to stock specs, especially the rear. Let us know after a couple months/1 year if you notice increased wear on the inside of your tires.

I had my Z on the eibachs with stock shocks and after a year they really settled down even lower and the ride quality decreased significantly with 19s. I've had major issues with the inside of my rear tires wearing very quickly.

I now have adjustable Konis and the Eibach camber kit...the ride quality is much better even with the 19s, but the rear tires still wear pretty quickly.

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
DeepakG
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4

Great post!

I am getting the same fitted this week and will post impressions/pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
DeepakG
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakG View Post
Great post!

I am getting the same fitted this week and will post impressions/pics.
So I got the springs installed today - definitely a visible difference in the rear as they settled immediately - but the front not so much. Bumps were felt 'more' in the rear - a little harsher but I like the feel.

At the shop the front did not settle as nicely, it looked close to stock.

When I got home from the shop the front had settled to a point where I could get about 3 fingers (about 1.5") between the fender and top of the winter wheel. Just wondering how long the front usually takes to settle?

Definitely worth the $$. Will post pics on the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakG View Post
So I got the springs installed today - definitely a visible difference in the rear as they settled immediately - but the front not so much. Bumps were felt 'more' in the rear - a little harsher but I like the feel.

At the shop the front did not settle as nicely, it looked close to stock.

When I got home from the shop the front had settled to a point where I could get about 3 fingers (about 1.5") between the fender and top of the winter wheel. Just wondering how long the front usually takes to settle?

Definitely worth the $$. Will post pics on the weekend.
what happened to the pics?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
swedish_z4
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Z4 3,0Si -07 & 328Ci -00

Thanks so much, considering the same springs this summer!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
swedish_z4
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterawa View Post
Interesting, you were able to get the camber and toe adjusted back to stock specs, especially the rear. Let us know after a couple months/1 year if you notice increased wear on the inside of your tires.

I had my Z on the eibachs with stock shocks and after a year they really settled down even lower and the ride quality decreased significantly with 19s. I've had major issues with the inside of my rear tires wearing very quickly.

I now have adjustable Konis and the Eibach camber kit...the ride quality is much better even with the 19s, but the rear tires still wear pretty quickly.
I fully don't understand your post. Why did he adjust camber and toe "back" to stock specs. Weren't they before?

when you speak about the ride quality decreased. You mean the comfort ride or the handling?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish_z4 View Post
I fully don't understand your post. Why did he adjust camber and toe "back" to stock specs. Weren't they before?

when you speak about the ride quality decreased. You mean the comfort ride or the handling?
After my car was lowered, I noticed I was buying tires every 12 months due to the excess negative camber. I replaced the rear control arms with the eibach rear control arms, and the shop I went to maxed the toe and corrected the camber, but I'm still wearing out my rear tires every 11-12 months . I'll probably post a thread to get suggestions on how to fix this problem as I don't like spending $$$ on new tires that often.

As for the decreased ride quality, the comfort is affected...I noticed my car bottoming out more with the oem non-sport shocks after 1 year.

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #19
swedish_z4
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

For how long did you have the Ebiach springs on OEM shocks? Sounds crazy that you have to change tires every 12 months, never heard this before.

How much mile do you drive per year?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
swedish_z4
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Hello!

I have got mine Eibach springs now, is it difficult to change them by yourself? or should a experienced one do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #21
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish_z4 View Post
Hello!

I have got mine Eibach springs now, is it difficult to change them by yourself? or should a experienced one do it?
changing out springs is pretty straight forward. You CAN do it with hand tools, although power tools will make it much easier.

Just remember to get a spring compressor... This is something you'll need in order to change out the springs without killing yourself and to install them =0
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #22
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

hmmm.... I'm REALLY interested in getting a set, but with my 19x9.5's in the front and 19x10.5's in the back I'm quite worried about rub issues, as my fronts already rub a bit over harsh dips and bumps.

Do you guys think it'll be a problem?
here it is with the rims, what do you guys think of the potential drop?

I'm very interested from a performance standpoint, I'm just worried about functionality.