E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Smartphone Integration Option-What does it really do?

01-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
335-115
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Smartphone Integration Option-What does it really do?

I can't get a firm answer out of my dealer or BMWNA regarding the Smartphone Integration option and what it actually does. My questions is if I have the iPod/USB option and an iPhone do I need Smartphone Integration to make everything work? If I plug in the iPhone using the iPod/USB cable will it play my music like any other iPod and then I just sync the phone with Bluetooth like normal, or am I missing something? I know the Smartphone option ties you into the "fin" so your reception should be better and you get a cradle, but do I gain or lose any functionality with my iPhone with the Smartphone option? Does the Smartphone option make my phone work through the car in a way other than Bluetooth and therefore it's better?

Some input from people with the options and an iPhone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

..I would like to hear about this too!

I have a 2007 335 coupe with the 'standard' bluetooth, which I think works great!

...would be interesting to hear how the 'new' setup improves on hte current bluetooth experience..

I'm using a Motorola Q (1st generation) with out fail

~Frosty
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335-115 View Post
I can't get a firm answer out of my dealer or BMWNA regarding the Smartphone Integration option and what it actually does. My questions is if I have the iPod/USB option and an iPhone do I need Smartphone Integration to make everything work? If I plug in the iPhone using the iPod/USB cable will it play my music like any other iPod and then I just sync the phone with Bluetooth like normal, or am I missing something? I know the Smartphone option ties you into the "fin" so your reception should be better and you get a cradle, but do I gain or lose any functionality with my iPhone with the Smartphone option? Does the Smartphone option make my phone work through the car in a way other than Bluetooth and therefore it's better?

Some input from people with the options and an iPhone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Of all the options on my fairly loaded E91, this is the one I most regret getting. It deletes a somewhat useful tray in the armrest and doesn't add a whole lot.

The basic point of Smartphone is that you can have an IPOD and Iphone connected at the same time. The system then defaults to getting music from the Ipod. If you disconnect the IPOD though, Smartphone integration will allow you to use the Iphone as both a phone and an IPOD. You can drive around with both the Iphone and Ipod in the armrest, and then simply disconnect the IPOD when ever you want to use the Iphone as a media device.

I do not have an IPHONE though, and opted to get Smartphone because I hoped they might make craddles available for the BB curve and other Consumer-oriented smartphones.

Two ways of looking at: 1) Smartphone adds little, 2) Smartphone has a trivial cost given the overall price of the car. So, no harm in adding it in and giving yourself possible options down the road.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
mroach
hej på dig
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Owners of a variety of smartphones, such as the Apple iPhone 3G, will benefit from Smartphone Integration. The smartphone option not only charges the phone but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. It also improves telephone reception by reducing radio wave interference. It does not conflict with BMW's iPod/USB (6FL) option but rather is complementary.

Smartphone Integration means that the driver doesn't have to connect his mobile phone with integrated MP3 player to the USB audio interface. It can remain in the special snap-in adapter in the center console. Previously, in order to play music from a smartphone, the driver would have to remove the phone from the standard snap-in adapter - if in use - and plug the phone into the car's USB audio interface (6FL option).

In addition, you can have a separate MP3 player plugged into the USB audio interface and listen to music from that. If both are plugged in, the device attached to the USB connection will take priority but unplugging the USB device will return control to the smartphone.

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3098
      01-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroach View Post
Owners of a variety of smartphones, such as the Apple iPhone 3G, will benefit from Smartphone Integration. The smartphone option not only charges the phone but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. It also improves telephone reception by reducing radio wave interference. It does not conflict with BMW's iPod/USB (6FL) option but rather is complementary.

Smartphone Integration means that the driver doesn't have to connect his mobile phone with integrated MP3 player to the USB audio interface. It can remain in the special snap-in adapter in the center console. Previously, in order to play music from a smartphone, the driver would have to remove the phone from the standard snap-in adapter - if in use - and plug the phone into the car's USB audio interface (6FL option).

In addition, you can have a separate MP3 player plugged into the USB audio interface and listen to music from that. If both are plugged in, the device attached to the USB connection will take priority but unplugging the USB device will return control to the smartphone.

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3098
Would prefer if you used the quote feature when quoting from my article so the attribute is clear but thanks nonetheless for mentioning it.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
335-115
Rep

Let me rephrase and simplify. If I have an iPhone and the iPod/USB option but not the smartphone integration option can I still plug in my iPhone and play music from it and sync the phone features with Bluetooth? I realize I'm losing the reception benefits and the cradle, but is the functionality of my iPhone decreased since I'm using it as an Ipod? I'm not understanding what is complimentary about the feature if I don't plan on using a separate iPod for much but rather just using my iPhone for everything. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
MJV81
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92

Hmm...is the cradle sold separately? I have the iPod option and smartphone integration but was never given a cradle.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Pitbull555
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

ok. i want to clarify some stuff with this. i sell cellphones.

1. iphones doesnt have A2DP feature that u can listen to music thru bluetooth.
with the iphone, u can just do phone calls

most of the smartphones are like that except for blackberry starting with the 8310 which is the curve,

some ericsson phones has A2DP too
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJV81 View Post
Hmm...is the cradle sold separately? I have the iPod option and smartphone integration but was never given a cradle.
Yes, it is a seperate option. the reason why the craddle is seperate because the system will eventually support multiple kinds of smartphones. So, you have an IPhone and you buy one craddle and I buy another for my crackberry.

Tischler (Getbwmparts.com) has the Iphone cradle for $140.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Also the snap-in adapter allows you to use the shark fin on the roof as your antenna so in theory your phone reception should improve.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335-115 View Post
Let me rephrase and simplify. If I have an iPhone and the iPod/USB option but not the smartphone integration option can I still plug in my iPhone and play music from it and sync the phone features with Bluetooth? I realize I'm losing the reception benefits and the cradle, but is the functionality of my iPhone decreased since I'm using it as an Ipod? I'm not understanding what is complimentary about the feature if I don't plan on using a separate iPod for much but rather just using my iPhone for everything. Thanks.
Yes, with just the iPod/USB option you can still attach your iPhone (to play music) and still make calls and sync contacts (assuming you have the Bluetooth). That's what I have.

From reading the posts above, the smartphone option gives you (1) a cradle for the phone to jack into; (2) better reception; and (3) the ability to connect a iPod and iphone at the same time.

The smartphone option is not worth it to me, because the loss of space in the armrest is significant, and I don't need to jack-in an iPhone and iPod at the same time.

I will say that i have experienced some static when I make calls with the iPhone jacked in (through the iPod/USB port).

Last edited by bmw-hoya; 01-23-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Of all the options on my fairly loaded E91, this is the one I most regret getting. It deletes a somewhat useful tray in the armrest and doesn't add a whole lot.

The basic point of Smartphone is that you can have an IPOD and Iphone connected at the same time.

Not sure what you are saying.. I do not have this option on my 08, but have 6FL and Bluetooth and use an iphone and an Ipod at the same time.

You do not need this option to use an iphone and ipod seperately.

Save your money and buy a used Ipod like I did which I always leave in the car, that way you keep your iphone in your pocket when you are in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
and (3) the ability to connect a iPod and iphone at the same time.
Again, I use both an ipod and an iphone in the car AT THE SAME TIME
without this new option.. Not sure why you guys keep saying that
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Not sure what you are saying.. I do not have this option on my 08, but have 6FL and Bluetooth and use an iphone and an Ipod at the same time.

You do not need this option to use an iphone and ipod seperately.

Save your money and buy a used Ipod like I did which I always leave in the car, that way you keep your iphone in your pocket when you are in the car.
You need the Smartphone option if you want to use the 6FL Ipod/USB ports, while at the same time using Iphone or some other smartphone (when they finally get other craddles) as a media device. Using one as a phone, and one as a music device, is fine without 6NF.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Again, I use both an ipod and an iphone in the car AT THE SAME TIME
without this new option.. Not sure why you guys keep saying that
Once again, we are NOT talking about using the Iphone to make calls. We're talking about using it to play music.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

where does the smartphone part come in? all that stuff your talking about is dumb.
i thought it would have calendars, reminders.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #17
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Once again, we are NOT talking about using the Iphone to make calls. We're talking about using it to play music.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I ordered the smartphone option on my 335d. My 06 330i has the standard dealer installed cellphone integration that worked with my old Razr and my experience with it has sold me on the option. I get at least 2 more blips of signal strength when the phone is plugged into the cradle and it often makes the difference between having a signal and not. I also like the fact that the phone is emitting much less radiation which allows it to run cooler and on lower power and exposes me to much less microwave radiation.

Oh, and as for this being a cheap option, yeah, $150 isn't bad and is worth doing even if you're not sure. However add to that my new iPhone 3G 16GB, the 2 year contract with AT&T, the cost of the cradle insert, the fact that my cell bill is going up $30/month well "cheap" it's not.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
335-115
Rep

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I think I'm clear on the issue now and in any event I can't add the option at this point as my 09 335 is finally going into production after a month and a half.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #20
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Quote:
Tischler (Getbwmparts.com) has the Iphone cradle for $140.
If by "have", you mean that they "have" a price for it.

I've had one on order since early December and it has yet to ship....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #21
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
If by "have", you mean that they "have" a price for it.

I've had one on order since early December and it has yet to ship....

Yikes. Sorry to hear that (but think it is nice of you to keep us informed - thanks!).

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0