E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Something really weird with the alarm

01-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Jonjai
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 328xi

Something really weird with the alarm

Ok before the car wash everything was fine, and when i unlock the car it will beep and locking the car beeps again.

but after I washed my car and drive it back to the garage and lock it, it wouldnt beep?! I did that 5 times consecutively and it doesn't beep it just locks without any beeping sound.

Anyone know whats going on?? Is BMW not waterproof?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
piezo
unstratified
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Hold the trunk button on the remote down for several seconds; the panic feature will confirm that the siren is still functional. It's located in the left rear wheel well, though I always try to rinse them fairly thoroughly and haven't had any issues.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to double-check that audible confirmation is still enabled in the locking menu...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Jonjai
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezo View Post
It's located in the left rear wheel well, though I always try to rinse them fairly thoroughly and haven't had any issues.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to double-check that audible confirmation is still enabled in the locking menu...
Ok thanks man I tried and the siren works, but what is located in the left rear wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
piezo
unstratified
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjai View Post
what is located in the left rear wheel?
The physical siren unit, but I guess your problem lies elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Jonjai
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezo View Post
The physical siren unit, but I guess your problem lies elsewhere.
sorry im kinda stupid but where would

- physical siren unit be and what does it look like???

- audible confirmation in the locking menu be?

- left rear wheel well be?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

physical siren unit should look like a megahorn/bullhorn. square and hollow with a cone inside of it.

the left wheel well is the whole entire opening where the front left (drivers) side wheel is.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Jonjai
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
physical siren unit should look like a megahorn/bullhorn. square and hollow with a cone inside of it.

the left wheel well is the whole entire opening where the front left (drivers) side wheel is.
I see thanks but I am just asking about the unlock/ lock chirp what does that have to do with the wheel well and the siren unit??
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
piezo
unstratified
Rep

I believe the chirp comes from the alarm siren, but I could be mistaken.
There's a drawing in the installation instructions attachment in this DIY thread, though if it went off when you tried the panic it's probably fine.

The option for audible confirmation depends on whether you have iDrive; if you do it's on the same screen as where you select if you want the lights to flash on lock/unlock. Not sure about non-iDrive models.

I had to take mine back to be recoded as the audible options were missing after the alarm install. At least that's the way it worked on '07s.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok before the car wash everything was fine, and when i unlock the car it will beep and locking the car beeps again.

but after I washed my car and drive it back to the garage and lock it, it wouldnt beep?! I did that 5 times consecutively and it doesn't beep it just locks without any beeping sound.

Anyone know whats going on?? Is BMW not waterproof?
Make sure all doors are completely closed, and trunk is fully engaged. It will not chirp (nor will visual confirmation flash) when trying to lock the car if something is not completely closed.
      01-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Usually, if the alarm doesn't "chirp", it's because there is something that is still open. Make sure all the doors are securely shut; also, the fuel door, trunk and hood may be the culprits.

Usually, when I lock the car and the alarm doesn't chirp, it's either the trunk or the fuel door that's open and getting in the way of the system arming itself.

("madmd", above, posted at the same time I did - hope this isn't too redundant.)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Jonjai
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Usually, if the alarm doesn't "chirp", it's because there is something that is still open. Make sure all the doors are securely shut; also, the fuel door, trunk and hood may be the culprits.

Usually, when I lock the car and the alarm doesn't chirp, it's either the trunk or the fuel door that's open and getting in the way of the system arming itself.

("madmd", above, posted at the same time I did - hope this isn't too redundant.)
I didnt touch anything tho, only my driver side as I had to drive the car out my drive way to car wash. And after the car wash it wouldn't chirp when i lock it.
However when i lock it the lock does clunk and it is locked.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
piezo
unstratified
Rep

Agree w/ the last 2 posts, if the alarm faults on arming, the "clown nose" will flash rapidly before slowing to the normal interval.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Jonjai
Banned
Canada
Rep

OMG guys i found out what was unshut! it was the trunk, i guess when i was blasting my trunk with the hose reel, its too powerful and the water that rushes accidently opened the trunk,

now it works fine, thanks fellas!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:48 AM   #14
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
OMG guys i found out what was unshut! it was the trunk, i guess when i was blasting my trunk with the hose reel, its too powerful and the water that rushes accidently opened the trunk,

now it works fine, thanks fellas!
dude, you don't need a high pressure fire hose to wash your car. that's actually really bad for it... be gentle one time.
Appreciate 0