E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > boost gauge wiring

01-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

boost gauge wiring

I recently tried to install a prosport boost gauge but am having trouble with the wiring. The gauge comes with 4 wires. Black, red, white, amber. The white wire is for daytime driving when your lights aren't on and amber being night time driving when your lights are on. My question is where can i hook up my wires so that my boost gauge is white during the day but amber during the night.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

You will notice that:

a.) Connecting just the white wire to a +12v source lights up the gauge White.

b.) Connecting just the orange wire to a +12v source lights up the gauge Amber.

c.) Joining both white and orange wires together to a +12v source will always make it light up Amber.

With this information gathered, we can establish that :

1.) white wire goes to an "accessory" +12v (basically anything that comes on with a press of the Start Button (day and night).

2.) Orange wire connects to +12v night time lights like headlights or any accessory that only lights up at night.

3.) Red wire connects to a constant +12v.

4.) Black wire connects to constant ground- earth.

Try sourcing all your wire tap points in the fuse box behind glovebox or the center console area.

Goodluck !
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
oct1285
Captain
Rep

What wires in the center console can I use? I'm very new to wiring. What happens when I combine both the red and white wire together? Right now sometimes the white amber thing works but sometimes it doesn't work or there's a delay in the change of color
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Because the red wire has to go to a constant +12v dc source that is always powered (even with the igntion off and the car closed), connecting the white wire to the red wire will cause the gauge to light up white and always stay on(even with the igntion off and the car closed). - IMHO ....NOT GOOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
Right now sometimes the white amber thing works but sometimes it doesn't work or there's a delay in the change of color
This means your 12v source on either the orange or the white has been tapped into a wire that is controlled by a electronically controlled time delay circuit which makes it incompatible for use.......find another wire tap point.

You will need to source 3 seperate (+12v dc sources) that respond the way I described in my previous post at points 1, 2, 3, and 4. This may require the use of a multimeter and testing for 12v dc at various locations and by switching headlights on and off and pressing the start button. Tapping into a bad/inconsistant 12v source that obviously is controlling some other piece of electrics or electronic device might have adverse effects in other components of the car.

If you are new to this, seek the help of an Auto Electrician......it's just not worth blowing a fuse or worse, burning out electronics in your BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
oct1285
Captain
Rep

is there a wire that I can tap into that's a constant 12v power. Or am I going to have to tap into the fuse box?

Last edited by oct1285; 01-17-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0