BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

01-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

What helmet for track use?

Any recommendations? Choises, specs, materials, pros/cons, what to look for etc? I am a newby on making a choice on this...

I am not sure why I need one in an M3 (with all those airbags etc) but these are the "track rules" - fullstop. I can understand this requirement for racing cars (no airbags) so you don't bounce your head onto rollbars etc, but for a car such as the M3 with airbags poping out of every corner?!

Anyway, your swift response on this will be much appreciated as I need to go out and and get one in time for an event taking place on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
03SG///M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

I recommend Arai. Very light, well made and comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Airbags or not, a helmet is always a good idea. But I'm sure it's a regulation for insurance purposes. I have a Bell BR-1. I'm 6' 2" and I still fit under the roof with the helmet on. It's comfortable and fairly cool, too. Arai makes a great helmet, too, but they're pretty pricey.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

I just use my fullface motorcycle helmet. As long as it's DOT it should be fine. Unless you're driving with the top down or in an open wheel racer, there's no need for the expensive road racing helmets
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

I always recommend Simpson helmets. I've been using them for several years now (switched from Bell my first years of racing, and have been using Simpson for 5 years now).

Their helmets are always comfortable and look AMAZING.

PLUS, if you get the Raider Helmet by Simpson, you'll look like the STIG!

I personally like their Diamondback the best. Used it on the track before and it's awesome. I would highly suggest that
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
Their helmets are always comfortable and look AMAZING.

PLUS, if you get the Raider Helmet by Simpson, you'll look like the STIG!

Now if it only made you drive like the Stig.

For the OP, any helmet would be fine, but you really need to try them on. I tried on at least 10 helmets before I picked on. Also make sure you can put your sunglasses on with the helmet on.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Thanks very much guys, comments & swift responce are much appreciated.

Indeed I need to try some on but if I am to do that I would have to (i) get my ass off to a store here in Athens that has in stock a large variety from the brands you mentioned, (ii) subject myself to the usual selesman crap whereby the shitty stuff get off the door first (especially when they see that the buyer knows nothing) as if this is "the best helmet money can get", and last but not list (iii) pay a ridiculous price. That's the cons when doing your shopping in Athens, Greece. I definitely prefer (and I am) doing my shopping from the couch, but in this case I will not be able to try the helmets on which is a big con... Not only would I have to (gu)estimate may size, but I would also not be able to feel the real thing. Anyway, I will have to go through the excersise I am afraid...

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I use an Arai GP-5W with a peak visor instead of a faceshield, interchangable in case you get into an open cockpit car. Great hat, but expensive. I'd also recommend the new motorsports HJC helmets, nice quality for the price, the carbon lid looks great.

http://www.winecountrymotorsports.co...roducts_id=478

http://www.saferacer.com/hjc-hx10-au...productid=1194

http://www.saferacer.com/hjc-ar10-au...productid=1193
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

These guys have a good selection.

http://www.teamdi.com/#

I would never track a car without wearing a helmet. I would also recommend a HANS device.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

+1 to safe racer.

This is a good time to buy a snell rated helmet. The SA2010 will be coming out shortly, so everyone will be trying to close out their SA2005 inventory.

Very highly rated brands:

Arai, HJC, Simpson.

I recently bought a Simpson Stingray Carbon at half price, and it is one of the most comfortable helmets I have ever worn. Removable interior as well. 2.9lbs.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

The Bell Sport is very price conscience and good for an entry level racer. This is what I have for my occasional track days. http://www.bellracing.com/public/ind...ct/detail/206/
      01-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Buying a helmet without trying it on is like buying shoes from an unknown brand without trying them on. It's crazy. I was ready to spend $500-600 on a helmet, but the one that fit me the best was a Bell that cost less than $350.
Just get an idea what they cost on-line and go try them out.

These guys have a large supply on hand and their prices are pretty good too, but I don't know if they'll ship international.

http://www.extremesupply.com/
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Buying a helmet without trying it on is like buying shoes from an unknown brand without trying them on. It's crazy. I was ready to spend $500-600 on a helmet, but the one that fit me the best was a Bell that cost less than $350.
Just get an idea what they cost on-line and go try them out.

These guys have a large supply on hand and their prices are pretty good too, but I don't know if they'll ship international.

http://www.extremesupply.com/

You absolutly have to try it on. The web sites are strcitly for research purposes.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

I have a Stand21 helmet. Incredibly light and comfortable.... but be prepared to shell out some dough.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
I have a Stand21 helmet. Incredibly light and comfortable.... but be prepared to shell out some dough.
A racing buddy of mine says "If your head is worth $50 buy a $50 helmet"

CA

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
R68
Maverick-y
Rep
Drives: M Uber Alles

fit fit fit

Your head shape will determine which helmet you need more than anything. Buy what fits properly and is most comfortable. All the brands mentioned above are great products.
      01-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
A racing buddy of mine says "If your head is worth $50 buy a $50 helmet"

CA
With the extra lenses and shipping it was right around $1,300. I wanted the lightest and coolest helmet under $2k. At the time, the Stand21 was it.

The Stand21 HANS device was around $1,500 (perhaps more) if I recall correctly. I haven't made that jump - not that serious about tracking (yet). EDIT: The Stand21 HANS device is also illegal in the USA. If I do get one, I won't be advertising it :P
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R68 View Post
Your head shape will determine which helmet you need more than anything. Buy what fits properly and is most comfortable. All the brands mentioned above are great products.
+1 all the way. I have a relatively long face and found the Arai fit best. I found they also seem to have the best construction and technology, followed closely by Bell. Have not seen Stand21 helmets but have used their suits, gloves etc and they are by far my favorite for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #19
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

For trackdays I use a open face helmet but a black one, like this, this is a Peltor, rallystyle.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
The Stand21 HANS device was around $1,500 (perhaps more) if I recall correctly. I haven't made that jump - not that serious about tracking (yet). EDIT: The Stand21 HANS device is also illegal in the USA. If I do get one, I won't be advertising it :P
I am totaly ignorant on this obviously, but these Stand21 guys seem to know what they are doing... wow! After some spec reading of the major brands you guys have suggested here, I think this really stands out of the crowd. At least that's my uneducated read.

Anyone else had experience with Stand21?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Forged
R.Argon
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SG///M3 View Post
I recommend Arai. Very light, well made and comfortable.
good choice
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #22
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Stand21 offer the lightest and strongest helmets out there, unless you pay $6,000+ for a Schuberth (F1) helmet.
Appreciate 0