E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Front midrange speakers

01-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Front midrange speakers

Here in the UK our basic sound system has no external amp, no tweeters and sounds crap.

We have;

Head Unit, powering;
2x front speakers, 2x rear speakers (both paper cones providing midrange and treble)
2x 6.5" paper-looking subs under the seats

This is what I have done so far;

- added Blaupunkt THA-555 5 channel amp - powering fronts and rears via the OEM loom
- replaced subs with SWS-8's - powered by the THA555 5th channel
- added logic 7 tweeters to the front - they plug straight into the existing speakers.

What I want to know now is, should I also upgrade the front midrange units to L7 or maybe individual speaker units? I cant help thinking that I've done the highs and lows and ignored the mids? Surely a paper cone designed for highs and mid must be terrible?

Also the rears are stock at the moment - no tweeters, just the original junk - is it worth upgrading these also?

What do you think?
      01-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
Here in the UK our basic sound system has no external amp, no tweeters and sounds crap.

We have;

Head Unit, powering;
2x front speakers, 2x rear speakers (both paper cones providing midrange and treble)
2x 6.5" paper-looking subs under the seats

This is what I have done so far;

- added Blaupunkt THA-555 5 channel amp - powering fronts and rears via the OEM loom
- replaced subs with SWS-8's - powered by the THA555 5th channel
- added logic 7 tweeters to the front - they plug straight into the existing speakers.

What I want to know now is, should I also upgrade the front midrange units to L7 or maybe individual speaker units? I cant help thinking that I've done the highs and lows and ignored the mids? Surely a paper cone designed for highs and mid must be terrible?

Also the rears are stock at the moment - no tweeters, just the original junk - is it worth upgrading these also?

What do you think?
If you are in a budget and for ease of installation, you should take a look at the OEM Individual Audio 4" mids as a replacement of your base OEM mids; you will need to get the separate OEM crossovers, though. You can keep the Logic7 tweeters but you will need to remove the in-line cap, as the OEM crossovers will take care of the highs now.

For the rears I would go with a pair of Individual Audio coaxials.

That should work pretty fine with that THA555.
Appreciate 0