BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing BMW 530e 2017 same time a/c and electric heater broke down

01-05-2023, 07:13 PM   #1
viktorchor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

BMW 530e 2017 same time a/c and electric heater broke down

Hi, in my BMW 530e 2017 same moment a/c stopped blowing cold air AND when I start cold vehicle in the morning it takes 20-25 minutes until hot air shows up. Both problems started exactly same time, and warning light poped up same time as well.

I went to AAA Radiator and Air condition in North Miami, FL, they removed my a/c compressor from car, tested it outside and found that my a/c compressor is ok, but electric current from car is not enough to turn it on properly. They did not have proper electrician on site, so they put my compressor back and recharged system with freone, charged me zero. They did not diagnose electric heater problem.

Then I went to Budd's BMW in Oakville, ON Canada today and they told me that my A/C must be replaced and also electric heater. They told me that my A/c compressor is not genuine BMW, they did diagnostic, but did not remove compressor from car. They also gave me estimate to complete job - attention: $8,000.00!!!!! I think it is abnormal price and abnormal diagnostic. Do they want just get rid of me, because it is a difficult case? They also hinted it is a good idea to give my car for trade it. In estimate it is also written that those two things should be completed and after that futher job may be required! So they try to cover themselves in case their diagnostic/advise will be a mistake...

Please, advise me what may be the real cause of this breakdown? How to fix it maximum cost effective? Any honest reliable BMW repair mechanic in Toronto/Mississauga ON area, whom would you recommend? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 10:44 PM   #2
X5Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

How many miles do you have? Did you buy it pre-owned or brand new? Just wondering how you ended up with an aftermarket compressor.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 07:51 PM   #3
viktorchor
Registered
Rep

Car has now 128.000 km, was made in September, 2017. I purchaced it with 110.000 km and drove for 3 months. It is most likely not compressor and auxilary heater broke down, but some kind of electric device that controls their proper work broke down. I went to my friend mechanic who did obd port diagnostic for me for free, lots of electrical errors. He does not want to fix this vehicle, as it is hybrid BMW and too complicated for him; same thing few other mechanics told me. Today I went to Georgian BMW dealer in Barrie, ON Canada they offer to diagnose the problem $190+tx per hr. They were able to connect to my car remotely and found same faulty codes as my car mechanic. I hope that people in dealership in this small town are more honest and professional than those in some BMW dealerships in Toronto area. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:00 PM   #4
viktorchor
Registered
Rep

I don't think those mechanics from AAA Radiator and A/C took my original compressor and left in the truck the rebuilt one they ordered. Why do they need used compressor with many km on it? I called them and they told me that they installed back in my car same compressor that was there already and filled up system with freone. Maybe compressor was already replaced in the past? Also they told me that they put both old and new compresors on special stand in their shop and on the stand compressors work - they don't want to work inside my car, because "voltage is too weak". They made a video when they did the test and still had that video, so they sent it to me and even on video they say that problem is not compressor itself but electrical problem inside my car. Also their chief electrician was on vacations so they could not fix it better.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:27 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
With the car being used to you and you’ve only had it ~3 months. It is impossible to dispute the dealership’s claim that someone put a third party compressor in there. Why would they do that? Who knows.

The BMW 530e is a PHEV so its AC system is very different from the one in the ICE car and the same is true for the electrical heater as well. It is very possible someone replaced it with the wrong part and that’s what’s causing you electrical issues. The AC and heat are run off the HV electrical system in a BMW 530e. Since the system also cools the HV battery there is a bit of a complex interplay between everything.

Good luck with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 12:39 AM   #6
viktorchor
Registered
Rep

Georgian BMW decided to submit my case to BMW Canada and ask them to cover part of repair cost, which is estimated to be very high! It seems logical for BMW to be fair, generous and cover substantial part of this repair and here is why.
Yes, all those failed components are part of hybrid system where main place has high voltage battery, covered by 160000 km warranty. Components and HV battery are closely interconnected. A/C compressor, auxiliary heater and their control unit are the parts of hybrid system, and are powered by high voltage battery! Also A/C compressor reciprocates by cooling high voltage battery when necessary. So it is possible to say that only high voltage battery is under warranty, but it looks like that when in my vehicle exactly same time damage happened to all those three components (a/c, auxiliary heaher, their control unit), then high voltage battery played in this breakdown a major part. Probably an erratic electrical surge from high voltage battery hit all those components like a mini lightning and damaged electronic/computer components in them. Therefore, it is fair and expected from BMW to cover substantially the repair of this breakdown, investigate it and have solid knowledge how to prevent it in the future on my vehicle and all other similar vehicles.
Either HV battery, or flaw in design, or manufacturing defect in hybrid system caused this issue. Let's see what will happen next.
Also my vehicle had software updated at least 3 times within last 3 months at BMW dealerships. Most likely those updates did not damage computer components in A/C compressor, auxiliary heater and their control unit, but who knows?
By the way, initially HV battery was not warranty covered up to 160000 km, before it was 80000 km and that's it. BMW decided much later to extend the warranty. Probably over time they have discovered something. Also to repair/replace HV battery in 530e cost $10.000.00 or more, so customers got scared! and to calm people down BMW extended warranty, so people would not afraid to buy/keep BMW hybrid cars... Looks like BMW still takes care of its reputation, and it gives me hope.
Appreciate 0