BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Thumbs down BMW AUTOHAUS Refused To Top Of My Oil!

Prior to my M3, I had an E46 330ci and it burned a bit of oil (as most BMWs do). I would go to Maranello or Autohaus and get it topped off with no questions asked whatsoever. Since I got my M3 ,I've been topped off at Open Road BMW in Newmarket, and at Toronto BMW. I pulled in to Autohaus last week and I was denied by the "parts girl", she said I would have to buy the oil, I told her I have never had to buy the oil to top of my old 330, she said because the M3 uses more expensive oil (10-60) that she wouldn't be able to give one of the techs a liter of oil to top me off. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. I didn't know what to say...I walked out of there...and I headed over to Maranello a couple days later and without a question the guy filled me up with a liter of oil. I later called Autohaus Service Manager, and he told me that they are unable to fill up M cars because of the special oil it requires, but he would have no problem filling up a regular 3 series.

A part of me understands, a liter of this oil is $19, so if everyday just 1 guy comes in to top of the oil in their M3. It costs them $100 bucks a week, and realistically they probably have a lot more then 1 guy a day. But still...this is the ONLY dealership that has ever denied to top of me off.

I've never liked Autohaus, and now I HATE them!

DON'T GO TO AUTOHAUS!!!!!!!!!

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

At least you have several dealerships in your area you can choose from if one doesn't treat you well or you have a bad experience.

The only local dealer here (the next one is a 2 and a half hour drive away) would NEVER consider being so nice and customer friendly as to top up your oil. They will charge for the oil they use, the technician's time, AND they'd give you a hard time about doing it on a walk-in basis. They would much rather you schedule an appointment for this (as if you know when you're going to be low on oil).

How's that for service?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
At least you have several dealerships in your area you can choose from if one doesn't treat you well or you have a bad experience.

The only local dealer here (the next one is a 2 and a half hour drive away) would NEVER consider being so nice and customer friendly as to top up your oil. They will charge for the oil they use, the technician's time, AND they'd give you a hard time about doing it on a walk-in basis. They would much rather you schedule an appointment for this (as if you know when you're going to be low on oil).

How's that for service?

Thats just crazy though...
But...you do live in Halifax, so I guess there arent many dealers to choose from, so they can do pretty much whatever they want and charge whatever they want!
I have 3-4 big dealerships around me!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Prior to my M3, I had an E46 330ci and it burned a bit of oil (as most BMWs do). I would go to Maranello or Autohaus and get it topped off with no questions asked whatsoever. Since I got my M3 ,I've been topped off at Open Road BMW in Newmarket, and at Toronto BMW. I pulled in to Autohaus last week and I was denied by the "parts girl", she said I would have to buy the oil, I told her I have never had to buy the oil to top of my old 330, she said because the M3 uses more expensive oil (10-60) that she wouldn't be able to give one of the techs a liter of oil to top me off. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. I didn't know what to say...I walked out of there...and I headed over to Maranello a couple days later and without a question the guy filled me up with a liter of oil. I later called Autohaus Service Manager, and he told me that they are unable to fill up M cars because of the special oil it requires, but he would have no problem filling up a regular 3 series.

A part of me understands, a liter of this oil is $19, so if everyday just 1 guy comes in to top of the oil in their M3. It costs them $100 bucks a week, and realistically they probably have a lot more then 1 guy a day. But still...this is the ONLY dealership that has ever denied to top of me off.

Why is your car using oil?Mine has 16000kms on it and only used 1/2 litre before it was changed at 14000 kms and that was with 2 trackdays thrown in.How did you break it in?

I never had an issue with Parkview topping up fluids on our other BMWs or my E46 M3.I have never used Autohaus after getting terrible service there once.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Every BMW, especially M cars burn oill...its a known fact. This time it didn't even say add oil yet, but it was half way in between MIN and MAX. So I figured might as well fill it up to MAX instead of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thats poor. First of all, the oil does not cost the dealer 19 bucks...second of all, it actually would end up costing them nothing considering I'm almost positive they could bill BMW for it. I'm assuming they are just too lazy to fill out the paperwork to submit it as a warranty claim. Poor Poor Poor.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Every BMW, especially M cars burn oill...its a known fact. This time it didn't even say add oil yet, but it was half way in between MIN and MAX. So I figured might as well fill it up to MAX instead of waiting.
My wifes 335 and her X3 never used any between the services which were always at between 22000-28000 kms.My E39 M5 used a litre at about 10000kms and I never baby anything that is in our household.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Thats poor. First of all, the oil does not cost the dealer 19 bucks...second of all, it actually would end up costing them nothing considering I'm almost positive they could bill BMW for it. I'm assuming they are just too lazy to fill out the paperwork to submit it as a warranty claim. Poor Poor Poor.
I agree its poor customer service and obviously its the principal and not the $19. However, top ups are not included under warranty to my knowledge as its not a regularly scheduled maint. item. I have never had an issue with top ups personally, however, i cant be bother to go to the dealership any more - I keep a couple of litres on hand (A couple of years ago they actually threw in a little bag that had velcro on the bag to keep it in place in your trunk to keep a litre in there). My time is more important to me than $19 and driving to and from a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep

I guess one could argue that it is wear and tear and not warranty (like adding gasoline, brakes or tires) but a pretty fine line when talking about internal fluids. My mothers 5 series came with a litre of oil in a BMW oil pouch in the trunk. I thought that was nice of the dealer (knowing that BMW's sometimes burn a bit of oil).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

Tthat sucks, did you get your car from Autohaus? I bought my car from Town and Country but I'm not expecting good services from them, hopefully because I bought my car there they'll treat me better this time around. I had terrible experiences with Town and Country with my e46 (330 and M3) that's why I went to Autohaus but recently Autohaus is pissing me off with their service too

Quote:

01-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
Tthat sucks, did you get your car from Autohaus? I bought my car from Town and Country but I'm not expecting good services from them, hopefully because I bought my car there they'll treat me better this time around. I had terrible experiences with Town and Country with my e46 (330 and M3) that's why I went to Autohaus but recently Autohaus is pissing me off with their service too
My car was bought from Toronto BMW, but it was originally supposed to go to Autohaus (which is irrelevant anyways). But Toronto BMW bought it from Autohaus and sold it to me.

Never serviced @ Town & Country before, but their sales people are nice and I like the dealership itself. Autohaus sucks...theyre also pulling their loaner car program, your now going to have to pay for it! ONLY dealership I've heard of that is doing this... Go to Maranello or Toronto if your ever downtown!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)

Parkview has an oil pipe in their drive-in bay and top off oil with no questions asked...in fact they never even asked if I bought my car from them!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
shagkie
Captain
Rep

Apparently T&C only give loaners to customers that bought their cars from them. Yes some of the sales people they have there right now are alright but the bunch they have back in 2004 are such snobs.

Quote:
My car was bought from Toronto BMW, but it was originally supposed to go to Autohaus (which is irrelevant anyways). But Toronto BMW bought it from Autohaus and sold it to me.

Never serviced @ Town & Country before, but their sales people are nice and I like the dealership itself. Autohaus sucks...theyre also pulling their loaner car program, your now going to have to pay for it! ONLY dealership I've heard of that is doing this... Go to Maranello or Toronto if your ever downtown!
      01-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Darklord...I dont want to scare you as I dont think a top up will do anything, but the oil in that pipe is most likely the standard BMW oil...our cars use a special 10W60 I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)

hahaha..thanks man....I went there with my 335i and was speaking to that experience...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

I know the foreman @ Open Road BMW, and he told me that an M car should burn 1 liter of oil per 1000km, according to BMW and their books on the car.
A NON-M car should burn 1 liter per 1500 km.

Seemed a little high, but this guy is serious and knows what he is talking about, he is the shop foreman afterall.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I've never dealt with the service department at Autohaus but I know one of the sales reps and he's an absolute jem. Very nice to deal with and completely down to earth.

I serviced my car once at Open Road BMW and I will never go back again. First off, Will the service advisor was a complete idiot and very snobby and then I get my car back and a day later noticed a scratch on my rear passenger side rim. When I called to complain about it, Will said that he would talk to the service manager about it and get back to me. Half a dozen calls later without any resolve I went back to the dealer and demanded to speak to the manager. He was even worse than Will!!

Then when I asked to see the walk around inpection sheet they said that they lost it, how convenient!! I put up an argument but it was no use. I had to end up getting my rim repaired and re-clearcoated at my own expense.

From now on I only deal with Maranello. Bruno the sales manager and I have become good friends and the parts guys give me 15% off all parts. Besides, it's right near my home so it's easier for me to deal with them anyhow.

Maranello BMW FTW!!!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
I know the foreman @ Open Road BMW, and he told me that an M car should burn 1 liter of oil per 1000km, according to BMW and their books on the car.
A NON-M car should burn 1 liter per 1500 km.

Seemed a little high, but this guy is serious and knows what he is talking about, he is the shop foreman afterall.
I know that guy too. He's probably the only good guy at that dealership.

My question is; if the M burns 1 liter of oil every 1000km and the car recommends oil changes every 15000km (or whatever according to the way the car is driven), won't the car be without oil by the time you get an oil change? I mean is it the responsibility of the owner to keep filling the car up with oil?

BTW, I only have 3990km on my car but I plan on doing the oil change every 5-7K and not follow the recommended oil change schedule.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
From now on I only deal with Maranello. Bruno the sales manager and I have become good friends and the parts guys give me 15% off all parts. Besides, it's right near my home so it's easier for me to deal with them anyhow.

Maranello BMW FTW!!!
Maranello has their own issues too, every dealership does. From what I know, the guys aren't so experienced at Maranello. If I had a real engine/tranny or any drivetrain problem, I would most defintely make the drive up to Open Road BMW, before taking it to Maranello. Trevor (the shop foreman @ Open Road) is a genius and knows what he is doing. Maranello is much closer to me too, for an oil change or a small problem I would go there just because Open Road is 50+km away from me.

Quote:

My question is; if the M burns 1 liter of oil every 1000km and the car recommends oil changes every 15000km (or whatever according to the way the car is driven), won't the car be without oil by the time you get an oil change? I mean is it the responsibility of the owner to keep filling the car up with oil?

BTW, I only have 3990km on my car but I plan on doing the oil change every 5-7K and not follow the recommended oil change schedule.
Yes, it is your responsibility, as the owner/operator of the car to top of the oil, if you can find a BMW dealer who will top you off for free, then great, if not it is your responsibility to buy the oil and top it of.
I asked Trevor, and he said that Autohaus has the right to deny it, because they have to pay for that oil. They don't HAVE TO top you of for free apparently

Trevor recommened that I do ONE oil change in between the recommened 20 000 km intervals, so do one every 10 000 km. I dont know if you should do one every 5000km-7000km.

Is your car leased or bought? To me, that would be the deciding factor in how often to do an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #20
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:

If my BMW's used oil at that rate they would be back at the dealer getting leak down tests done.I have driven M's and non M's for over 20 years and never had one have that kind of consumption.
I am doing an extra oil change at about the 10000 km mark.It cost me about $275 at Parkview but,it is a piece of mind thing
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #21
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

even though i bought at bmw toronto (had the e93 in stock that i wanted), town & country has the best service if you buy from them...

when I had my e90 330i, they used to drive downtown (from markham!) to pick up my car from work and leave me with a 325i or x3 until they returned my car later that day (or next day depending on service, yes this included just oil and filters)...my car would always come back spotlessly clean

I have yet to see another bmw dealership match this.... only other guys I know that do this are PFAFF porsche and Audi.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
shagkie
Captain
Rep

With that kind of oil consumption I'm going to be broke! One liter per 1000km is just absurd. Anyone changed their own oil yet?