BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) X Line Front Plate Mount

12-08-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
Firebass
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X1,'20 X1,'03 M3

Question X Line Front Plate Mount

Just took delivery of our Storm Bay on Oyster X Line and love it, except for how to mount the front plate. Dealer tried to drill holes, which was quickly quashed (won't need a front plate where we're ultimately registering the car). Right now the plate is taped to the front bumper but it's not the best given the contact points and the angle of the painted and gloss black areas of the bumper (a horizontal concave V almost).

Anyone find a tow hook mount that works yet? I tried an old one I had for my E46 but discovered the bolt not only too short, but BMW at some point changed the bolt size itself. Oh, and it's a euro plate for a few more months too before we move to the states. Easy plate to punch holes in to make work on any mount. TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 06:11 PM   #2
SeekTheFinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M-Sport

We are going to try a Sto-N-Sho plate mount. Since they don't sell one for the X1, we are going to try a mount designed for the X3 MSport bumper without ACC. I believe it mounts under the front bumper using one of the screws that attach to the bumper of the car. Our dealer delivered our vehicle without a drilled front end and said if we needed it drilled for a mount to let them know.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:49 PM   #3
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebass View Post
Just took delivery of our Storm Bay on Oyster X Line and love it, except for how to mount the front plate. Dealer tried to drill holes, which was quickly quashed (won't need a front plate where we're ultimately registering the car). Right now the plate is taped to the front bumper but it's not the best given the contact points and the angle of the painted and gloss black areas of the bumper (a horizontal concave V almost).

Anyone find a tow hook mount that works yet? I tried an old one I had for my E46 but discovered the bolt not only too short, but BMW at some point changed the bolt size itself. Oh, and it's a euro plate for a few more months too before we move to the states. Easy plate to punch holes in to make work on any mount. TIA
When I did the European delivery of my old Mercedes W210 wagon, I used something like this. I specifically contacted the Mercedes rep before arriving and told them to make absolutely sure that the front license plate holder was not installed. I ordered the adhesive holder from eBay and had it shipped to me in the US. Then I brought it with me and flew to Germany.(plus a whole roll of super strong 3M adhesive tape to attach the temporary German plate to the adhesive plate holder. At the delivery center, I put the adhesive plate holder on myself. The rep watched with amusement. I explained that my state did not require front license plates and nothing was worse than having two ugly holes on a brand-new Mercedes.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #4
Firebass
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekTheFinest View Post
We are going to try a Sto-N-Sho plate mount. Since they don't sell one for the X1, we are going to try a mount designed for the X3 MSport bumper without ACC. I believe it mounts under the front bumper using one of the screws that attach to the bumper of the car. Our dealer delivered our vehicle without a drilled front end and said if we needed it drilled for a mount to let them know.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve seen that on a few cars around here. However, it still drills holes so I’m looking exclusively for a tow hook or other no-drill mount
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #5
Firebass
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
When I did the European delivery of my old Mercedes W210 wagon, I used something like this. I specifically contacted the Mercedes rep before arriving and told them to make absolutely sure that the front license plate holder was not installed. I ordered the adhesive holder from eBay and had it shipped to me in the US. Then I brought it with me and flew to Germany.(plus a whole roll of super strong 3M adhesive tape to attach the temporary German plate to the adhesive plate holder. At the delivery center, I put the adhesive plate holder on myself. The rep watched with amusement. I explained that my state did not require front license plates and nothing was worse than having two ugly holes on a brand-new Mercedes.

Funny coincidence you had a W210…had an E320 4Matic growing up that made it to 377k miles…Euro delivery in one would’ve been a blast
Unfortunately that mount likely won’t work. The X Line has a concave V of a bumper so that flat mount won’t work. Looking for a tow hook mount for that reason
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Funny coincidence you had a W210…had an E320 4Matic growing up that made it to 377k miles…Euro delivery in one would’ve been a blast
Unfortunately that mount likely won’t work. The X Line has a concave V of a bumper so that flat mount won’t work. Looking for a tow hook mount for that reason
will the previous gen X1 tow hook work in the U11 X1?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Tow-Hook...t-X1-2016.html

can't be that hard to just zip tie the US plate to the lower part of the X1?(like this?)
Attached Images

Last edited by bluecrabby; 12-09-2022 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #7
SeekTheFinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve seen that on a few cars around here. However, it still drills holes so I’m looking exclusively for a tow hook or other no-drill mount
I don't believe this drills holes... It requires you to remove the screws on the underside of the front bumper and mount a bracket that holds the plate. I am going to try and use the X3 MSport bracket since they don't have one for the U11 X1. I don't think you can use a tow hook mount because it gets in the way of the front bumper sensors.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 04:02 PM   #8
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I was planning on using a mount from US Millworks, as I had one on my old e90 and the build quality and fitment was excellent. However, I've contacted them and they stated that they have no plans to develop a specific mount for the X1 at this time. The recommended I measure the tow hook and send them the dimensions and see if they have an existing mount that might fit. My only concern is it possibly interfering with the front parking sensors.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I was planning on using a mount from US Millworks, as I had one on my old e90 and the build quality and fitment was excellent. However, I've contacted them and they stated that they have no plans to develop a specific mount for the X1 at this time. The recommended I measure the tow hook and send them the dimensions and see if they have an existing mount that might fit. My only concern is it possibly interfering with the front parking sensors.
While I feel bad for those who have to live in states that require front license plate, I really don't think this solution look good at all...

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 04:16 PM   #10
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
While I feel bad for those who have to live in states that require front license plate, I really don't think this solution look good at all...

I think that one is mounted a bit too high and looks funny. The good thing about the US Millworks one is that it allows you to mount the post almost anywhere on the plate. I personally would rather have it mounted offset using the two hook rather than drilling holes in the bumper. I'd pretty much only mount it when going in for my annual safety inspection though, and run without a front plate the rest of the time. Cops here don't seem to be ticketing for it as much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 04:49 PM   #11
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that one is mounted a bit too high and looks funny. The good thing about the US Millworks one is that it allows you to mount the post almost anywhere on the plate. I personally would rather have it mounted offset using the two hook rather than drilling holes in the bumper. I'd pretty much only mount it when going in for my annual safety inspection though, and run without a front plate the rest of the time. Cops here don't seem to be ticketing for it as much anymore.
I'm not sure I understand this.... Hawaii has decent-looking license plates. It's not like you guy have license plates that look like this:

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #12
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand this.... Hawaii has decent-looking license plates. It's not like you guy have license plates that look like this:

Personal preference. Front license plates have always looked like kind of an afterthought to me that interferes with the design of the car, whereas the rear has a spot specifically made for it. We actually have a few different designs for our plates, but the rainbow one is the standard "free" plate when you register your car. Others carry a $20 annual fee.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 10:15 AM   #13
Firebass
Private
Rep

Quote:
I love my US Millworks mount I've got on my E46 M3. The flexibility of attaching it anywhere along the plate due to the holes all across the back is great. Haven't heard back from emailing them but bummed they're not making one.

I found Rho Plate and have been working with their customer service to determine the right size bolt needed. For anyone wondering, it's ~120mm from the bolt threads (not counting the threads themselves, that's about 25mm) to edge of the bumper on the X line. I'll post the results if I end up getting their mount. Seems similar to US Millworks where you've got plenty of holes to chose to attach to the bolt. Should keep it away from the parking sensors...we've got the one in the very front bumper and the one further right on the black gloss above the air duct.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2022, 10:18 AM   #14
Firebass
Private
Rep

Quote:
will the previous gen X1 tow hook work in the U11 X1?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Tow-Hook...t-X1-2016.html

can't be that hard to just zip tie the US plate to the lower part of the X1?(like this?)
Maybe? Asked ECS if theirs for the previous gen would work but the rep didn't know the product dimensions though it was their own brand

Yea...zip ties will last about five minutes with the Polizei here unfortunately.

Hopefully Rho-plate's will work
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

In a front plate mandatory state but the fugliness of this has me ready to ask the dealer not to drill and chance going without.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #16
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I love my US Millworks mount I've got on my E46 M3. The flexibility of attaching it anywhere along the plate due to the holes all across the back is great. Haven't heard back from emailing them but bummed they're not making one.

I found Rho Plate and have been working with their customer service to determine the right size bolt needed. For anyone wondering, it's ~120mm from the bolt threads (not counting the threads themselves, that's about 25mm) to edge of the bumper on the X line. I'll post the results if I end up getting their mount. Seems similar to US Millworks where you've got plenty of holes to chose to attach to the bolt. Should keep it away from the parking sensors...we've got the one in the very front bumper and the one further right on the black gloss above the air duct.
This is the response I got from US Millworks a couple months ago:

Hi Ryan,

We don't have a kit for the 2023 BMW X1 and don't have plans to carry one for that model in particular. If you want to take a measurement when you receive the car, we can see if one of our other kits might work. However, given that we haven't test fit your vehicle, we cannot guarantee it won't set off the parking sensors, if any. Additionally, BMW has begun to make the tow hook in some newer models that is larger in diameter, which isn't compatible with our kit.

Helena
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #17
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe? Asked ECS if theirs for the previous gen would work but the rep didn't know the product dimensions though it was their own brand

Yea...zip ties will last about five minutes with the Polizei here unfortunately.

Hopefully Rho-plate's will work
so something like this will be considered illegal? seems secure enough to me, especially if using twice as many zip ties... I can't imagine the polizei not being more understanding, if you politely explain that the vehicle will be leaving Deutschland in the near future and you don't want to drill into the beautiful German-made BMW that you have...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #18
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
so something like this will be considered illegal? seems secure enough to me, especially if using twice as many zip ties... I can't imagine the polizei not being more understanding, if you politely explain that the vehicle will be leaving Deutschland in the near future and you don't want to drill into the beautiful German-made BMW that you have...
Is that area metal or plastic on the X1?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #19
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird71 View Post
Is that area metal or plastic on the X1?
It's plastic. I'd be hesitant on mounting a bracket to it, the further a plate is away from the grille with that mounting setup, I would think the more leverage it has in the wind to rip out or break the grille. I'd much rather go with a tow hook mount, mine was solid enough I could kick it and it wouldn't even deform or bend.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #20
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's plastic. I'd be hesitant on mounting a bracket to it, the further a plate is away from the grille with that mounting setup, I would think the more leverage it has in the wind to rip out or break the grille. I'd much rather go with a tow hook mount, mine was solid enough I could kick it and it wouldn't even deform or bend.
Yeah. Also looks like it's at risk of hitting a curb when front-in parking, in which case the plastic wouldn't have a chance.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #21
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:

I emailed them a few minutes ago to express my interest in getting one as well, so hopefully they'll be more inclined to speed up development!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #22
Firebass
Private
Rep

Quote:
Surprisingly, yes. If it's not screwed/bolted on it's technically illegal. The random vehicle inspection checkpoints they set up (which are legal in Germany) love to make a profit off of technicalities that are minor in reality. The beauty of my lovely Bavarian vehicle matters not...there's more of a blind bureaucratic adherence to rules around my specific locale, common sense be damned unfortunately
Appreciate 0