BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) wrong trim fix

12-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

wrong trim fix

Recap: my coveted X1 arrived with the wrong trim (piano black instead of Eucalyptus, but the extra charge for it never made it to the invoice). Seems it was a dealer mistake. They said we could either order a new car, or they'd order one for the fleet with the Eucalyptus and we'd swap. Now they're saying they can't even order one for themselves because customer demand is too high.

So here's what we have tentatively decided: we're ordering a new X1 with the correct trim, plus the active seats with lumbar that weren't available when we ordered the first one back in August. By the time it arrives, we'll have maybe 1,500-2,000 miles on it to trade in for the new one.

This is probably not the wisest financial decision. But the good news is the interest rate went down by a quarter point since we took delivery of the first one.

Those active seats better be goddamn amazing.

What would you do in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #2
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromans1 View Post
Recap: my coveted X1 arrived with the wrong trim (piano black instead of Eucalyptus, but the extra charge for it never made it to the invoice). Seems it was a dealer mistake. They said we could either order a new car, or they'd order one for the fleet with the Eucalyptus and we'd swap. Now they're saying they can't even order one for themselves because customer demand is too high.

So here's what we have tentatively decided: we're ordering a new X1 with the correct trim, plus the active seats with lumbar that weren't available when we ordered the first one back in August. By the time it arrives, we'll have maybe 1,500-2,000 miles on it to trade in for the new one.

This is probably not the wisest financial decision. But the good news is the interest rate went down by a quarter point since we took delivery of the first one.

Hmm, unless you sell privately, this will end up costing you at at least 3-4k if not more. Unless you really need a car at the moment, i would hold off on taking delivery and just wait for the new one to arrive. And selling privately would lose the sales tax benefit.

I wouldn't do the trim swap if i were you. With the LED lighting,etc. there are a lot of moving parts. Those dealer techs are not always equipped to do stuff like this. You dont want issues down the line.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Here's a crazy idea.

Wait a year. I bet the '24 has even more stuff available on top of the active seats. Then sell privately rather than trade, and you won't take as much of a hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

What was your interest rate on date of contract?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #5
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
It's your car, your money. Life is short. If you really want a different car with the correct trim and the fancier seats, go for it. Regardless of the cost be happy. You drive the car not the deal. Besides this is not an appliance so you are already spending more than a prudent financial advisor might suggest. who cares about the finances besides you?

I hope you get the car you want and enjoy it immensely.

Good luck, hope it works out for you
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:31 PM   #6
SeekTheFinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M-Sport

Honestly, I'm impressed that your dealer was willing to entertain replacing the trim from a fleet car. If you had an issue with the trim when the car arrived, you should have just declined the order and ordered another vehicle with the right spec.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but there is some responsibility on the buyer when an order error is made. While I understand your dealer made a mistake when inputting the order, you should have reviewed the order sheet before it went into 112 status. This would have caught the error and you wouldn't be having this issue. You weren't charged for the alternative trim, so it never really existed. We had the same thing happen when we placed our order. We wanted the piano black trim with the MSport package. This wasn't the default option in the system and when the order was placed at the dealership it defaulted to the Aluminum Hexacube trim. Before our vehicle went into 112 status we made sure AG accepted our request and the order was submitted correctly.

It seems that after your order was placed and even after your vehicle was received that you weren't happy with what you received and the additional options (active seats, etc.) that are now available to be configured. If that is the case, then the option is to order a new vehicle and take the loss at trade-in. That is your decision and yours alone. If you expect the dealership to make you whole outside of the additional option costs, good luck. If they do, that's great. I would recommend them to everyone because they obviously want to make their customers happy.

When ordering a car at launch, you are always going to be chasing additional options and changes in specs. That is the evolution of the offerings by the manufacturers. I would have loved to see the M35i X1 at launch but realized that wasn't going to be the case when we placed our order. So if we want one, we will have to make the decision in a year or two to trade up. That is our decision and no one else can make it for us.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igott View Post
What was your interest rate on date of contract?
5.25%, as of today it's 4.99%.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #8
igott
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Again, this could be different markets having different offerings, but in the central market at least, x1's have 3.99 at 60 months for top tier credit.

If that's the same in your market, then I'd ask the dealer to lock you in at the buy rate of 3.99 and forego the 1% markup since it was their mistake. I'd probably also try to get them to sell the vehicle at invoice, if not 3-5% under, due to their mistake. That'll make the whole scenario less painful on you financially.

If that doesn't work, you could also reach out to another dealer and tell them what happened, see if they'd be willing to help out on price. That's a long shot in this market, but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #9
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
but my dealer informed me this morning that BMW USA had raised the raised the MSRP on almost all BMWs, including the 2023 X1..... forgot what she said, but it was from $500 to $1600, depending on the model.

I'm still surprised that the dealer hasn't tried to price the cost of all the trim pieces. It can't possibly be more than the amount of money that you'll lose by trading it in after just a few months, right? Of course, it may not be that easy for the parts dept to order all those pieces at this time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #10
igott
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
but my dealer informed me this morning that BMW USA had raised the raised the MSRP on almost all BMWs, including the 2023 X1..... forgot what she said, but it was from $500 to $1600, depending on the model.

I'm still surprised that the dealer hasn't tried to price the cost of all the trim pieces. It can't possibly be more than the amount of money that you'll lose by trading it in after just a few months, right? Of course, it may not be that easy for the parts dept to order all those pieces at this time.
Yeah, there will be a price increase for all BMWs that are produced anytime after January 1st. For most models, it's like 2-4%. I believe the X1 is on the lower end of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, there will be a price increase for all BMWs that are produced anytime after January 1st. For most models, it's like 2-4%. I believe the X1 is on the lower end of that.
US$500 increase for the X1, according to the text that my BMW dealer sent me today

which they said that they would waive, because my family ordered two. actually, that was after I said that I would consider cancelling both and ordering two Volvo XC60 instead. (which is odd... because the Volvo dealership is in the same auto plaza, owned by the same company that owns the BMW dealership)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:09 AM   #12
igott
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
US$500 increase for the X1, according to the text that my BMW dealer sent me today

which they said that they would waive, because my family ordered two. actually, that was after I said that I would consider cancelling both and ordering two Volvo XC60 instead. (which is odd... because the Volvo dealership is in the same auto plaza, owned by the same company that owns the BMW dealership)
The sales managers at the BMW store don't care too much that it's under the same company, as they don't get paid on units sold under a different roof, so I'd do the same even if I am competing against my owner's other store.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #13
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The sales managers at the BMW store don't care too much that it's under the same company, as they don't get paid on units sold under a different roof, so I'd do the same even if I am competing against my owner's other store.
that's what I figured.... they are authorized dealers for almost every foreign brand(Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, etc...), but strangely, not Volvo.

Last edited by bluecrabby; 12-03-2022 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #14
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

Quote:

If I were you I would wait for the dealer's new car with the correct trim and have him swap it.
Trim swapping is extremely easy and something most DIYers can do themselves, not a big deal at all.
This option would be (I am assuming) FREE. Hey nothing is better than free :-)

On the other hand if you go down the path of trading etc. etc. you will lose a bunch of moolah; a mere trim piece will end up costing you several thousand dollars.

Like they said, its your money and your life, but I hate to see anyone waste their hard earned money this way.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #15
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now they're saying they can't even order one for themselves because customer demand is too high.
I'm trying to imagine how Judge Judy will rule if you sue the dealer in her court. IMHO, she would have ruled in your favor. You informed the dealer that you wanted the eucalyptus wood trim on your new BMW. For whatever reason, the dealer failed to include that on the vehicle they ordered.

If I'm Judge Judy, I will keep my ruling simple. The final judgement is for the plaintiff. The dealer(and its parts dept) is hereby ordered to place an order for all eucalyptus wood trim pieces, remove the black trim pieces, install the said wood trim pieces, all at no cost to the plaintiff.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      12-03-2022, 04:54 PM   #16
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I see no reason why they can't order the trim pieces and install them for you when it comes in, even if it takes a while. They have access to all the appropriate part numbers, and it will be the most cost effective way for both parties to resolve the situation.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #17
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I see no reason why they can't order the trim pieces and install them for you when it comes in, even if it takes a while. They have access to all the appropriate part numbers, and it will be the most cost effective way for both parties to resolve the situation.
I have tried 3 different BMW dealers(2 local and 1 online).

None could even pull up the part number for the 18" wheel for the base 2023 X1.(the wheel or the "wheel cover") All I wanted to know was whether or not they are replaceable.

One of the parts managers told me that their system came up "blank" when trying with multiple valid VIN# of 2023 X1(from demo and customer X1s)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #18
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I have tried 3 different BMW dealers(2 local and 1 online).

None could even pull up the part number for the 18" wheel for the base 2023 X1.(the wheel or the "wheel cover") All I wanted to know was whether or not they are replaceable.

One of the parts managers told me that their system came up "blank" when trying with multiple valid VIN# of 2023 X1(from demo and customer X1s)
Could be because the car is so new and BMW hasn't released an update in their system yet, but that's temporary. There is no way they won't be able to access the part numbers at some point in the near future since the cars are already on the road.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:21 PM   #19
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine how Judge Judy will rule if you sue the dealer in her court. IMHO, she would have ruled in your favor. You informed the dealer that you wanted the eucalyptus wood trim on your new BMW. For whatever reason, the dealer failed to include that on the vehicle they ordered.

If I'm Judge Judy, I will keep my ruling simple. The final judgement is for the plaintiff. The dealer(and its parts dept) is hereby ordered to place an order for all eucalyptus wood trim pieces, remove the black trim pieces, install the said wood trim pieces, all at no cost to the plaintiff.
Nice episode
But I think OP said dealer already agreed to do it, no?
Also, I guess what is in the paperwork matters more than what was said...
Appreciate 0