BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Winter Rims and tires

11-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

Winter Rims and tires

Hi everyone,

We just purchased a new 2023 X1 and should be receiving it in December. Being in Canada we will need to get winter tires. We opted out of purchasing the ones from the dealership as they are asking just way too much for them. We don't want to reuse the 20" rims it's coming with because the amount of salt that is used around here is crazy and well ... they are 20" which is a bit much. :-)

My sales guy tells me the bolt pattern on the 2023 is different than on the older ones. I can't seem to find what it is anywhere online. Would anyone know? I assume I'll need that info when I start calling local shops.

Since it's so new, I haven't been able to find an online vendor which has a listing for 2023 X1 rims.

Would anyone know a company/brand (preferably available in Canada) or online who sells rims for it? I'm sort of at a loss right now.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

just get a set of 18-inch wheels and 225/55/18 winter tires in the price that you're comfortable paying.

if your area is snow covered all winter long(not just the occasional snow), then you may even want to look into Nokian studded winter tires, if allowed in your province or city. I had a set of their studded winter tires on my rear-wheel-drive Mercedes wagon before and it drove way better than my AWD SUVs with regular all-season tires on snow and ice.

I'm in the US, so I don't have any recommendations for a tire/wheel online retailer.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

I'd be ok with either 18" or 19" rims. My bigger concern is availability of non-OEM rims since I can't find a place to buy them.

We can get snow from mid/late November to mid/late April. Unfortunately studded tires aren't allowed on our roads.

I normally don't mind spending on good quality tires but our local place wants $3770 CAD ($2821 USD) for the 18's and $5248 CAD ($3927 USD) for the 19". That just seems silly.

Last year we got winter tires + 20" rims for a thousand less than that the 18" from Acura. I know... Acura is not BMW. :-)

I'll try calling a local place on Monday and seeing if they can get something.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

All part of the fun of buying a fresh new vehicle that doesn’t have much, if any, aftermarket support in place yet! We have an older X1 and I’ve been wondering if our winter wheels and tires are compatible with the new one.

In our case, we popped for the $$$ BMW alloy winter wheel set with the 570M 18” wheels. Those wheels are 7.5Jx18 ET51 with a 225/50R18 tire. Centre bore on the older X1 is 66.6, bolt pattern 5x112, and it uses M14x1.25 wheel bolts.

For the 2023 X1, BMW’s official 18” winter option ($3,779) uses the 879 wheel (part number 36116898046), which is 6.5Jx18 ET41, and the tire is a 205/60R18. The specs I’ve found indicate that the bolt pattern is still 5x112 and the thread size still M14x1.25.

The only spec I can’t find is the centre bore size for the new X1, but I am seeing some wheels being sold by European retailers and listed as compatible for F48 and U11 X1, so my feeling is that the hub size is the same and the wheels actually are interchangeable. Might be worth some more digging at the dealer to get the exact specs and the real reason, if there is one, why they think wheels for an older X1 aren’t an option.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #5
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
If you can find the center bore size, I'd imagine places like Tire Rack should have something affordable. 5x112 is a pretty common bolt pattern, as it's shared by VW and Audi, so it would be more of a question of finding the right center bore and offset. I was told BMW going forward is shifting all models to a 5x112 bolt pattern instead of the previous 5x120, so you may even be able to find someone selling their like new OEM wheels online that would fit? I believe the G platform BMWs are all 5x112.

Also, I am SO glad that I don't have to worry about winter wheels or snow tires here. That sounds like such a tremendous pain in the ass. My friend who recently relocated to Bremerton Washington is having to deal with this and ice on the windshield now and he's hating it.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #6
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
All part of the fun of buying a fresh new vehicle that doesn’t have much, if any, aftermarket support in place yet! We have an older X1 and I’ve been wondering if our winter wheels and tires are compatible with the new one.

In our case, we popped for the $$$ BMW alloy winter wheel set with the 570M 18” wheels. Those wheels are 7.5Jx18 ET51 with a 225/50R18 tire. Centre bore on the older X1 is 66.6, bolt pattern 5x112, and it uses M14x1.25 wheel bolts.

For the 2023 X1, BMW’s official 18” winter option ($3,779) uses the 879 wheel (part number 36116898046), which is 6.5Jx18 ET41, and the tire is a 205/60R18. The specs I’ve found indicate that the bolt pattern is still 5x112 and the thread size still M14x1.25.

The only spec I can’t find is the centre bore size for the new X1, but I am seeing some wheels being sold by European retailers and listed as compatible for F48 and U11 X1, so my feeling is that the hub size is the same and the wheels actually are interchangeable. Might be worth some more digging at the dealer to get the exact specs and the real reason, if there is one, why they think wheels for an older X1 aren’t an option.

Is that CAD$3779? (which is USD$2862) Sweet fancy Moses... that's really expensive for a winter tire/wheel package, no? (yes, I do realize it's from BMW, but still)

My sister bought a set of winter tires/wheels for her '18 Mercedes E-class sedan from the Tire Rack. Less than USD$1400 delivered. 4 Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on 4 nice 8-spoke 18-inch wheels.

I was annoyed that they came wrapped with just round cardboards via UPS, but they had no scratches or anything. I helped her put them on in her garage.

She got them because she moved to Chicago area. Really wonderful winter tires, but unfortunately Chicago didn't see a lot of snow last year. She did forget to take them off was still driving with them in early May.(until the Mercedes dealer service dept asked her why she was still driving on winter tires in May)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
Is that CAD$3779? (which is USD$2862) Sweet fancy Moses... that's really expensive for a winter tire/wheel package, no? (yes, I do realize it's from BMW, but still)

My sister bought a set of winter tires/wheels for her '18 Mercedes E-class sedan from the Tire Rack. Less than USD$1400 delivered. 4 Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on 4 nice 8-spoke 18-inch wheels.
The pricing is all about the wheels used, so aftermarket vs. OE BMW wheels is what makes the difference. I paid about C$800 for a 17" set of cheapo Chinese-made alloys and Conti winter ties for our last VW. But yeah, there's also been some inflation there. The $3779 package mentioned uses smaller, less-expensive wheels and tires than the package I bought from BMW in 2019, but costs more. If I were the OP I'd be looking for an aftermarket solution too!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 12:45 AM   #8
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post

Wow! Thanks for all that info. I'll contact the dealership and ask him to double check about the bore size while confirming the other info you provided. I'll report back here if/when I get it.

As for the others commenting on the price, yes, that's my main issue. If they were reasonably priced or hell, even with an extra $500 "BMW" markup I'd suck it up and get out of convenience but at over 4K(with tax) it just feels like gauging. In this case it's less about the money and more about the principal.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 01:40 AM   #9
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
If you can find the center bore size, I'd imagine places like Tire Rack should have something affordable. 5x112 is a pretty common bolt pattern, as it's shared by VW and Audi, so it would be more of a question of finding the right center bore and offset. I was told BMW going forward is shifting all models to a 5x112 bolt pattern instead of the previous 5x120, so you may even be able to find someone selling their like new OEM wheels online that would fit? I believe the G platform BMWs are all 5x112.

Also, I am SO glad that I don't have to worry about winter wheels or snow tires here. That sounds like such a tremendous pain in the ass. My friend who recently relocated to Bremerton Washington is having to deal with this and ice on the windshield now and he's hating it.
Outside of my understanding tire sizes, the rim/wheel stuff is new to me so I have a question:

How can I find out the correct offset? Aren't they all different based on the rim/wheel I would choose vs another model from the same company? How do I figure out what is ok and what is not? Do I go with an offset of ET41 because the winter tires they are selling are using that offset? BTW, Thanks again Kavatski for that info!

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just new to having to dig this deep into choosing wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 04:26 AM   #10
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags2Rags View Post
Quote:

Outside of my understanding tire sizes, the rim/wheel stuff is new to me so I have a question:

How can I find out the correct offset? Aren't they all different based on the rim/wheel I would choose vs another model from the same company? How do I figure out what is ok and what is not? Do I go with an offset of ET41 because the winter tires they are selling are using that offset? BTW, Thanks again Kavatski for that info!

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just new to having to dig this deep into choosing wheels.
I only recently learned offsets enough to comfortably explain it, even though I understood it in my head.

Offset is one of 3 standard measurements used to determine fitment of a wheel, the other 2 being width and diameter. Offset in its simplest terms, is expressed in +/- values in millimeters in relation to the true center of the wheel. So, if a wheel is a 19"x8" wheel, the true center of the wheel is located 4" from either the face or the backside. A 0 offset wheel is where the mounting point where the wheel contacts the hub is located precisely at 4", the true center of the width of the wheel. If the offset is +44, it is 44mm closer to the front of the wheel than the rear from the center. Conversely, negative offset is where the mounting surface is closer to the backside of the wheel.

Offset matters because too much positive offset can push your wheels in too far, and make contact with your brakes or suspension. Too much negative offset could push the wheels out of the fender well, potentially causing the tire to make contact with your fender when going over bumps or carrying heavy loads.

Many aftermarket wheel companies make their wheels in a variety of offsets, so the potential to find a wheel that fits your car is pretty high. Calculating offset can be tricky though, especially when going with wider wheels than the ones your car came with.

For example, if your car came with 18x8 +45 offset, but you have about 25mm of open space between the backside of the wheel and the suspension, and 15mm of open space between the front lip and inner fender while the car is sitting on the ground, you could theoretically go with an 18x9 +70 and have the wheel sit more flush with the fenders while still having 13mm or so of clearance before it would make contact with the suspension components.

This does not take into consideration the sidewall profile of the tire though, as different tires may bulge out more than others when mounted, especially with taller tires found on SUVs and SAVs

This article has good illustrations to help better understand offset.

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/wh...el-offset.html
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

It almost sounds like a guessing game when it comes to offset. I feel the like the chance for error is huge unless you know for sure the manufacturer has made them for your vehicle since every rims offset will be different.

I feel that I only have 2 choices;

1- Suck it up and get the BMW wheels

2- Take a chance that in a few weeks some brands will have released rims that are made for the 2023 X1 and hopefully I can get them asap.

I don't like both those options. Option 2 is a gamble since I will absolutely need winter tires by the time its delivered. I won't be able to even drive off the lot without them as there will be snow on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #12
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It almost sounds like a guessing game when it comes to offset. I feel the like the chance for error is huge unless you know for sure the manufacturer has made them for your vehicle since every rims offset will be different.

2- Take a chance that in a few weeks some brands will have released rims that are made for the 2023 X1 and hopefully I can get them asap.

I don't like both those options. Option 2 is a gamble since I will absolutely need winter tires by the time its delivered. I won't be able to even drive off the lot without them as there will be snow on the ground.
perhaps try this? original wheels appear to be 18X8, 5/112 with 45 offset.... then you can see if the wheels that you want can be purchased in Canada.

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/202...35?diameter=18

Last edited by bluecrabby; 11-13-2022 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:20 AM   #13
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:

Not so much of a gamble as long as you stick with the factory wheel specs, you should be able to find something cheaper aftermarket that work. I'm not sure if winter tires are significantly wider than regular all season tires since we only have one season here, but I doubt it would be enough to cause fitment issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:35 PM   #14
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not so much of a gamble as long as you stick with the factory wheel specs, you should be able to find something cheaper aftermarket that work. I'm not sure if winter tires are significantly wider than regular all season tires since we only have one season here, but I doubt it would be enough to cause fitment issues.
Our sales guy is recommending that if we buy aftermarket wheels we should go with 19" rims to ensure they fit over the breaks. Anyone know if there's something special about the X1 M-Sport breaks vs the X-line or base model? (We ordered the M-Sport) They sell 17" to 19" winter rim+tire packages at the dealership.

The price of the 19" aftermarket that I'm looking at are about the same price as their 18" winter package except I would need to buy the extra TPMS sensors. I assume their tires will come with them but I would need to double check.

The aftermarket 18" are about 700$ less for the same tire + rims as the 19" I mentioned above but would still need TPMS sensors.

I'm considering these wheels but haven't made a final decision yet as I want my wife to look over different styles.

Enkei TY5 (Gloss Black) Wheels 19" x 8" 5/112 45 72.60

Of course those rims are some of the most expensive ones I've looked at so it's pretty close to the dealer pricing at this point. :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 04:56 AM   #15
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Our sales guy is recommending that if we buy aftermarket wheels we should go with 19" rims to ensure they fit over the breaks. Anyone know if there's something special about the X1 M-Sport breaks vs the X-line or base model? (We ordered the M-Sport) They sell 17" to 19" winter rim+tire packages at the dealership.

The price of the 19" aftermarket that I'm looking at are about the same price as their 18" winter package except I would need to buy the extra TPMS sensors. I assume their tires will come with them but I would need to double check.

The aftermarket 18" are about 700$ less for the same tire + rims as the 19" I mentioned above but would still need TPMS sensors.

I'm considering these wheels but haven't made a final decision yet as I want my wife to look over different styles.

Enkei TY5 (Gloss Black) Wheels 19" x 8" 5/112 45 72.60

Of course those rims are some of the most expensive ones I've looked at so it's pretty close to the dealer pricing at this point. :-(
He's a sales guy, so take what he says with a grain of salt. I've chewed out many sales people over the years for insisting that certain features weren't available, or certain colors weren't available on that model, or whatever. My '00 GTI GLX was supposedly not available in Satin Silver (it was), or a manual transmission (it was) but he thought because I was 19, I didn't know as much as him.

Judging by what I saw at my dealership with the X1 on factory 19" rims, most 18" wheels in the proper offset should fit no problem. The TPMS Sensors, I'd see if you can get the part numbers and see if there is an aftermarket alternative available. Hopefully they use the same sensors on the current 3 and 4 series, then there should be lots of alternatives available.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #16
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He's a sales guy, so take what he says with a grain of salt. I've chewed out many sales people over the years for insisting that certain features weren't available, or certain colors weren't available on that model, or whatever. My '00 GTI GLX was supposedly not available in Satin Silver (it was), or a manual transmission (it was) but he thought because I was 19, I didn't know as much as him.

Judging by what I saw at my dealership with the X1 on factory 19" rims, most 18" wheels in the proper offset should fit no problem. The TPMS Sensors, I'd see if you can get the part numbers and see if there is an aftermarket alternative available. Hopefully they use the same sensors on the current 3 and 4 series, then there should be lots of alternatives available.

I used to do that as well.. but then I realized that salespeople are just people like us who need the jobs to pay for stuff. Unless they are outright lying about features, I just don't say anything.

As for TPMS.... when I bought my previous set of Nokian studded winter tires, I ended up buying an aftermarket set of TPMS with its own sensor/display, which I hardwired to the 12V plug in the dash. It was not monitored by the car's own TPMS system. Much easier for me because I don't have to have the TPMS reset when I swap between regular tires and winter tires. (also because at that time, none of the tire shop in my area had equipment capable of syncing new Mercedes TPMS on the winter wheels to the car and the Mercedes dealer wanted over $120, $30 per sensor, to do this 5-minute job)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #17
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
I used to do that as well.. but then I realized that salespeople are just people like us who need the jobs to pay for stuff. Unless they are outright lying about features, I just don't say anything.

As for TPMS.... when I bought my previous set of Nokian studded winter tires, I ended up buying an aftermarket set of TPMS with its own sensor/display, which I hardwired to the 12V plug in the dash. It was not monitored by the car's own TPMS system. Much easier for me because I don't have to have the TPMS reset when I swap between regular tires and winter tires. (also because at that time, none of the tire shop in my area had equipment capable of syncing new Mercedes TPMS on the winter wheels to the car and the Mercedes dealer wanted over $120, $30 per sensor, to do this 5-minute job)
Most of the salespeople at dealerships here are greasy slimeballs, like the people in the mall trying to sell Dead Sea skin and hair treatments. They only know just enough about the car to go through their pre rehearsed pitch, anything beyond that and they'll either lie through their teeth to get the sale, or go running to their sales manager (who also usually doesn't know enough about the cars).

At least BMW of Honolulu is different, most of their sales staff seem fairly knowledgable about stuff, a few of them are even enthusiasts. My salesperson is great, and when she doesn't know the answer to something, she will go look it up. Also helps that they don't do markup, their service is great (though I wish they still had their night service and drop-off), and they get a reasonable allocation since they're the only dealer in the state.

VW, Honda, Kia, Volvo, Audi, I've had horrible experiences with all of them here.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #18
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep

Quote:
Most of the salespeople at dealerships here are greasy slimeballs, like the people in the mall trying to sell Dead Sea skin and hair treatments. They only know just enough about the car to go through their pre rehearsed pitch, anything beyond that and they'll either lie through their teeth to get the sale, or go running to their sales manager (who also usually doesn't know enough about the cars).
I think that's the case in most jobs. You have good people and some that aren't so good. You happen to have some good people around your area.

His comment about making sure to get 19" rims to make sure they clear the M-Sport brakes is sorta stuck in my head.

I haven't been able to find any info saying they are different between packages/trims.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #19
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I think that's the case in most jobs. You have good people and some that aren't so good. You happen to have some good people around your area.

His comment about making sure to get 19" rims to make sure they clear the M-Sport brakes is sorta stuck in my head.

I haven't been able to find any info saying they are different between packages/trims.
As far as I can tell, other than cosmetic items, the M Sport only adds the adaptive suspension and paddle shifters. I haven't seen anything that indicates it gets different brakes, though I would have loved to have either red or black calipers on my blue X1
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #20
SeekTheFinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M-Sport

I would have loved to have a MSport brake option, but I’m sure that will be offered in the X1 M35i next year…
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #21
jishman
Rep
Drives: '23 x1 M Sport

Really curious as x1's start to roll out into the wild what kind of compatibility these new models will have w/ non BMW wheels. I've got a set of winter 18X7.5 ALUTEC MONSTR BRIGHT SIL // 225/50R-18 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS90 SL that I used with my '20 x1 M Sport, and really hoping they will port over and fit a '23 M Sport. Hard to get a straight answer from anyone right now, and retailers like Tire Rack haven't gotten their hands on the new model yet and don't have all the specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 07:05 AM   #22
CER
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M Sport

Garage List
2023 X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jishman View Post
Really curious as x1's start to roll out into the wild what kind of compatibility these new models will have w/ non BMW wheels. I've got a set of winter 18X7.5 ALUTEC MONSTR BRIGHT SIL // 225/50R-18 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS90 SL that I used with my '20 x1 M Sport, and really hoping they will port over and fit a '23 M Sport. Hard to get a straight answer from anyone right now, and retailers like Tire Rack haven't gotten their hands on the new model yet and don't have all the specs.
I am looking at the same sort of thing. I have a set of winter wheels that I bought for my 2020 MB GLA that I think will fit. They are not exact size but the bolt pattern and bore size seem to be the same for both MB and BMW. 66.56 and thats what these rims are. The only big difference that I can see is the width but doing a check on Tire Rack, I see they show an 8.5 width working on the 22 model so as long as the new X1 is the same I think we can just use the 22 specs to see what fits and what doesn't.

This is what I have for winter rims.

18X8.5 5-112 ET48 RIAL M10 GUNMETAL
Appreciate 0