BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Trim mistake

11-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Anybody know if the trim can be swapped out? My X1 came with piano black trim instead of the Eucalyptus trim I ordered. Waiting to hear back from dealer, but I hope someone here knows?

Here's what happened: I submitted my build to my sales agent, then he immediately went on vacation. His boss then handled the build and when he sent it back to me, I didn't notice he left out the Eucalyptus I'd originally ordered. Picked up the car today and I'm so disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Hmm. That sux.

If they make the opposite mistake for me (Eucalyptus instead of the piano black I ordered), I'm gonna just leave it.....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromans1 View Post
Anybody know if the trim can be swapped out? My X1 came with piano black trim instead of the Eucalyptus trim I ordered. Waiting to hear back from dealer, but I hope someone here knows?

Here's what happened: I submitted my build to my sales agent, then he immediately went on vacation. His boss then handled the build and when he sent it back to me, I didn't notice he left out the Eucalyptus I'd originally ordered. Picked up the car today and I'm so disappointed.
You can order the Eucalyptus trim parts and swap them but it's likely going to be expensive and may take a while (depending on parts availability). Since it sounds like the dealer made the mistake, maybe get them to order and swap out the trim pieces for you and have them eat the cost? But most likely they will just tell you to put in a new order with the correct trim.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #4
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

I had to sign my build sheet. If what gets delivered is different from what's on there then that's on them. But if it's my mistake, then I guess you choose to not accept delivery of the car and consider re-ordering. They probably won't have much problem selling this one. All of the dealers near me have sold what they got in.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird71 View Post
I had to sign my build sheet. If what gets delivered is different from what's on there then that's on them. But if it's my mistake, then I guess you choose to not accept delivery of the car and consider re-ordering. They probably won't have much problem selling this one. All of the dealers near me have sold what they got in.
They asked us to sign it but we can't find any evidence that we actually did. The second guy went on vacation right after this too. This was early in the learning process for me, when I didn't realize the ambient light was married to the trim. I'm sure I just saw ambient light listed and was happy to see that.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #6
harris06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1

Dealer should definitely be able to knock off the difference in price at a minimum and give you some additional stuff free for the hassle !!
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-10-2022, 07:00 PM   #7
harris06
Private First Class
Rep

I don’t think it’s worth the wait ordering a new one. The car is depreciating in price every day you don’t have it in your possession for the model year and who knows how the supply chain is going to be next year
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-10-2022, 07:42 PM   #8
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

back when I ordered my 2004 Mercedes E-class wagon, I also received the "wrong" wood trim. The wait at that time was 4+ months. When the wagon arrived at the dealership, it had dark greyish wood trim. I went and looked at all the paperwork and realized that I was the one who made the mistake during the ordering process.

However, the Mercedes dealer's sales manager was a very nice guy and after having the parts and service dept research into it, they replaced ALL of the wood trim pieces free of charge. A few months later, I asked the service manager how much it cost them... he said over $4200 for the parts alone... and that's in 2004 Dollars... Needless to say, I was stunned how they tried so hard to make me happy. In case any of you need a referral to a nice Mercedes in the DC area, go to Mercedes-Benz of Arlington(used to be called American Service Center). Sadly, I went with other German brands for my next two cars.

(not my beloved 2006 E320 wagon, which I no longer have... every wood trim piece were replaced by them free of charge, despite it being MY mistake)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-10-2022, 07:56 PM   #9
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
back when I ordered my 2004 Mercedes E-class wagon, I also received the "wrong" wood trim. The wait at that time was 4+ months. When the wagon arrived at the dealership, it had dark greyish wood trim. I went and looked at all the paperwork and realized that I was the one who made the mistake during the ordering process.

However, the Mercedes dealer's sales manager was a very nice guy and after having the parts and service dept research into it, they replaced ALL of the wood trim pieces free of charge. A few months later, I asked the service manager how much it cost them... he said over $4200 for the parts alone... and that's in 2004 Dollars... Needless to say, I was stunned how they tried so hard to make me happy. In case any of you need a referral to a nice Mercedes in the DC area, go to Mercedes-Benz of Arlington(used to be called American Service Center). Sadly, I went with other German brands for my next two cars.

(not my beloved 2006 E320 wagon, which I no longer have... every wood trim piece were replaced by them free of charge, despite it being MY mistake)
That's an example of impeccable customer service. I hope my dealership offers me something similar. I'm a brand new BMW customer, and if they impress me by doing something like that, I'll probably never leave the brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:07 PM   #10
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's an example of impeccable customer service. I hope my dealership offers me something similar. I'm a brand new BMW customer, and if they impress me by doing something like that, I'll probably never leave the brand.
good dealers are hard to come by... they are out there, but they are very rare. once you find one, stick with them. life is too short to get screwed by bad car dealers.

by the way, what color is your X1's interior? the shinny black trim actually looks very nice, especially on sunny days.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #11
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
good dealers are hard to come by... they are out there, but they are very rare. once you find one, stick with them. life is too short to get screwed by bad car dealers.

by the way, what color is your X1's interior? the shinny black trim actually looks very nice, especially on sunny days.
It's San Remo green with mocha seats. The black gets lost, but the Eucalyptus would just be so much more classy.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #12
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's San Remo green with mocha seats. The black gets lost, but the Eucalyptus would just be so much more classy.
ok.. yes.. it does.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-10-2022, 09:19 PM   #13
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
ok.. yes.. it does.
With those seats, the trim makes it. Plus this is a non-trivial amount of money. Sympathies on the disappointment. Hope your dealer makes you right.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-10-2022, 11:32 PM   #14
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:

Not to pour salt on your wound, but the piano trim is awful. It's very cheap looking and a dust and fingerprint magnet and somehow gets hair line scratches over time. I'm speaking from experience. I would see if a swap is possible and/or order a new car. The eucalyptus really makes the interior.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 05:34 AM   #15
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Not to pour salt on your wound, but the piano trim is awful. It's very cheap looking and a dust and fingerprint magnet and somehow gets hair line scratches over time. I'm speaking from experience. I would see if a swap is possible and/or order a new car. The eucalyptus really makes the interior.
the curved screen also acts like a dust magnet... I was test driving it on a bright sunny day and boy, was it dusty. I really wish BMW has a little hood over the top edge of the display. At certain sun angles, I had a real hard time seeing what was on the screen.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-11-2022, 06:35 AM   #16
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I know, I just hate it. I'm so upset.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #17
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I specifically got the Gloss Black trim because I don't like wood in interiors, and I didn't care for the aluminum options. I do plan to wrap the trim if possible though, I've got a roll of matte carbon fiber look vinyl ready to go. I'm not sure how difficult this will be though, considering the ambient lighting most likely being integrated into the trim pieces. If it's not feasible though, I think I'd be perfectly okay with it staying gloss black. The gloss trim in my 4 series is dark enough where the wood didn't bother me enough to wrap it, and it's held up pretty well over the past 3 years, but it is a fingerprint magnet.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #18
harris06
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I know, I just hate it. I'm so upset.
Honestly it sucks, but it’s a minor thing if you did not end up coughing up the additional $350. If you like the car otherwise , it would be easy to get over this in a few days !!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 08:23 PM   #19
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris06 View Post
Honestly it sucks, but it’s a minor thing if you did not end up coughing up the additional $350. If you like the car otherwise , it would be easy to get over this in a few days !!
I i dunno man. This is the first car we've ever ordered and we wanted it to be perfect. I know we'd just be so much happier with the wood. But I feel like a huge jerk about it in the bigger scheme of things: our country is not being invaded, we have enough food to eat, and a nice roof over our heads, and only a couple years old too! Business was good this year. We wanted our new car to reflect that.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #20
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I i dunno man. This is the first car we've ever ordered and we wanted it to be perfect. I know we'd just be so much happier with the wood. But I feel like a huge jerk about it in the bigger scheme of things: our country is not being invaded, we have enough food to eat, and a nice roof over our heads, and only a couple years old too! Business was good this year. We wanted our new car to reflect that.

now that I'm older(much older), I feel that life is too short to settle or accept things that I don't really want. The way I see it... who knows what's going to happen tomorrow? If I can afford it, I buy it.(within reason, of course)

IIRC, you have already take delivery of the said X1. If the dealer is unwilling to replace the trim, ask them if they can give you a break on ordering all 4(or 5) trim pieces and sell them to you at dealer cost. You pay them a little money to have the black trim taken out and replaced with the proper wood trim.

Unless it's less than $700 or something, I'll definitely do it. I can think of 100 different ways that I can waste $700. But if I'm going to spend $700, I'm using it towards something that I stare at every single day.(i.e. the wood trip in the car)

Just my $0.02.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-15-2022, 02:08 AM   #21
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Definitely a first world problem, but ultimately, one you are paying for. I would definitely see if you could take the advice above and see if the dealership is willing to compromise, or you could buy the trim yourself from online websites once they become available. Your other option, would be to wrap the trim with a wood like vinyl. Some of them are pretty nice looking, and you can change it up whenever you feel like it.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #22
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dealer called today with a potential solution: they will order a dealer car with the Eucalyptus trim and when it comes in, they'll swap out the trim with mine. That's the plan unless they discover the swap will be too technically involved or expensive. Then at that point they'll have to figure out how to order a new car for us and swap cars entirely.
Appreciate 0