BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) First Impressions of the X1 28i M Sport

11-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #1
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

First Impressions of the X1 28i M Sport

Had some time today to test drive the X1 I ordered from the end of August. Unfortunately, I did not take any pics. Also, I have found out that the reason BMW are not releasing any X1s until 11/5 is because some of the iDrive 8 components are not complete, including the map and navigation and that it is awaiting OTA updates to get everything functioning before handing it off to customers.

The options are the following:

M Sport Package
Portimao Blue
19" M Double-Spoke Bi-Color Wheels w/All Season
Black Alcantara Interior w/Blue Stitching
Black High Gloss Trim
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Remote Engine Start
Heated Seats and Steering Wheel

So basically every option ticked. I won't get into much of the tech stuff because honestly, I was more focused to find out the most important thing to me, which is how it drives and functionality for day to day duties...

Exterior

I have to be honest, first impressions seeing it drive up was a bit lackluster for me. It's not that it's ugly, it's the way it sits. Even with the M Sport Suspension, this thing sits pretty tall and the wheel gap is noticeable. Noticeable to the point where I think it needs to be lowered by at least another inch. I am hoping there is shipping blocks on the suspension still but I'm not holding my breath.

To me, the best feature of the exterior is the front in M Sport guise and Shadowline trim. I think these are must have options. The grills are big but BMW found a way to blend it in nicely with the rectangle bulge of the M bumper. Very nice lines on the hood and sides that flows all the way into the rear. The redesigned tail lights are also a nice welcome. Besides the wheel gap, this X1 is definitely a step up from the one that it replaces. All grown up and more of an SUV rather than a crossover.

Interior

On to the interior...Most on here know by now that yes, seats do not have lumbar adjustments. Have to say though, I don't think it's much of a deal breaker for me. The Alcantara with sport seats felt very nice and have a stiff and snug feeling that contours to the body. I think for long range driving, these seats will be no issues. I highly recommend this seat option as well.

The fit and finish of the interior is mostly nice and solid. The middle console is a little bit on the cheap feeling side but it's by no means terrible. Having said that, if you want something a little more luxurious, you will have to step up to an X3 or above. For it being an X1, it's fine and I enjoy the minimalist approach BMW aimed for here.

Putting my hands on the all-new M Sport steering wheel was probably one of the biggest gripes I have with this car. The thickness is great but pushing down on the material is very unpleasant. The best way I can describe it is that of a toy car. I hope BMW will come out with an Alcantara M Performance steering wheel because it needs it. Other than that, it's fine and the aesthetics are pleasant to look at

iDrive 8 from what we could use and see is also a nice welcome change. I was not bothered by the lack of an iDrive controller. The reach is really close to the driver and even the HVAC controls were not an issue. The display is also very nice and reminded me of the i4 M50 I test drove back in the Spring. After some seat time, everyone will welcome and enjoy the new iDrive system

Plenty of room in the rear seats, even for tall people. Did not get into the rear seat adjustments or if they slide or not because frankly, my fiance and I will rarely have anyone in the back anyways.

The trunk space was also disappointing, we were expecting more space back there given the size but it's not bad and the rear seats can always be folded down. So not much to worry over in that regard.

Driving

I started off in Personal mode, which I guess is the new Comfort mode. First impressions driving off the lot is it's very smooth and quiet. The 7 Speed DCT is definitely working it's magic here. I heard minimal road noise while driving with a soft engine note in the background that is most likely being sent through the speakers. Power delivery was ok, enough for a daily commute and smooth enough to get you in trouble.

Sport mode is where I will have it set 95% of the time. The adaptive suspension kicks in along with the revs and the car turns from pedestrian into a nice little sporty suv. The engine noise is turned up all the way and again, likely going through the speakers. The X1 has decent power and torque to play around on the back roads. Nothing ground breaking though.

Braking was also a little underwhelming. Pedal travel is pretty long and I feel like it should have a little more bite here.

Summary

Obviously the X1 isn't perfect but BMW did do a good job as an entry level model at this price point. The fit and finish is of good quality and the M Sport package gives the X1 a more sporty feel to an otherwise pedestrian style car. An M Performance model would definitely help if one was looking for a little more performance in this package. I will likely be going forward with the purchase of this X1.

Thank you for reading!
Appreciate 3
      11-03-2022, 02:42 AM   #2
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I will definitely be coding out the piped in engine noise if I can. The M Sport and Shadowline was a must for me, I can't stand chrome grills and window trim on my cars.

You make some pretty interesting observations that I'd like to know more about:

-What specifically did you not like about the steering wheel material? Too squishy?

- When you say the center console feels a bit cheap, are you referring to the sturdiness? I'd hate to have it creak and flex every time I rested my elbow on it.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 07:06 AM   #3
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I will definitely be coding out the piped in engine noise if I can. The M Sport and Shadowline was a must for me, I can't stand chrome grills and window trim on my cars.

You make some pretty interesting observations that I'd like to know more about:

-What specifically did you not like about the steering wheel material? Too squishy?

- When you say the center console feels a bit cheap, are you referring to the sturdiness? I'd hate to have it creak and flex every time I rested my elbow on it.
Yes, the steering wheel is definitely too squishy. Almost feels like they forgot to put in something to make it sturdy. It's honestly and unfortunately one of the worst BMW steering wheels I ever held. This won't be my daily driver though, so I can live with it for now I guess.

No, the center console itself is nice and sturdy. I was referring more to the buttons and feel of the materials used. I can see the buttons starting to creek as these cars age over time. Maybe they won't though. Just my observation.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Nice review, thanks for posting!

Did you test the sound system at all? I have the premium package so was curious was it sounded like.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #5
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
Nice review, thanks for posting!

Did you test the sound system at all? I have the premium package so was curious was it sounded like.
Thank you!

I did not. Being a BMW the Harman Kardon will sound very good. I have confidence BMW wouldn't mess that up.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Thank you!

I did not. Being a BMW the Harman Kardon will sound very good. I have confidence BMW wouldn't mess that up.
if not, I can always rip out the speakers and put new amps, subs, speakers, wires..... I don't drink, gamble, smoke pot, or build model railroads.... but my only real vice is spending way too much money on aftermarket stereo. On my last car, I installed well over $8000 in aftermarket stereo equipment... (plus the dozens of hours spent working on it) Oh, the only other downside was that the trunk was reduced to only big enough for a small backpack and maybe a carry-on case.
Appreciate 1
vinny84292.00
      11-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #7
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
Quote:
Thank you!

if not, I can always rip out the speakers and put new amps, subs, speakers, wires..... I don't drink, gamble, smoke pot, or build model railroads.... but my only real vice is spending way too much money on aftermarket stereo. On my last car, I installed well over $8000 in aftermarket stereo equipment... (plus the dozens of hours spent working on it) Oh, the only other downside was that the trunk was reduced to only big enough for a small backpack and maybe a carry-on case.
Hey, nothing wrong with that!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #8
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, nothing wrong with that!
my car stereo addiction is probably more expensive than what most people spend on drugs(legal or otherwise)... except my grandma who used to smoke two packs per day, but she did live happily until age 96, so we didn't judge or make her stop.(yes, I know, I know...)

not to mention the fact that most of the car stereo equipment can go from one car to the next and last many years... so a somewhat good investment in my mind... at least how I justify it. Plus, I NEVER annoy people with loud sounds... something that I can't say for most of my fellow car stereo enthusiasts, unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
vinny84292.00
      11-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
CER
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M Sport

Garage List
2023 X1  [0.00]
Do you know yet if the Digital Key Plus and Drive Recorder are actually there? According to everything I have seen and others have posted BMW documentation, they should be.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CER View Post
Do you know yet if the Digital Key Plus and Drive Recorder are actually there? According to everything I have seen and others have posted BMW documentation, they should be.
Honestly, I didn't dive much into any iDrive settings or features. Because these are still waiting for OTA updates, they may be incomplete
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, the steering wheel is definitely too squishy. Almost feels like they forgot to put in something to make it sturdy. It's honestly and unfortunately one of the worst BMW steering wheels I ever held. This won't be my daily driver though, so I can live with it for now I guess.

No, the center console itself is nice and sturdy. I was referring more to the buttons and feel of the materials used. I can see the buttons starting to creek as these cars age over time. Maybe they won't though. Just my observation.
That's disappointing regarding the steering wheel. Being as it will not be as fast or sporty as my current 4 series though, I've mentally been preparing myself to accept that it will be vastly different driving an SUV. If it really bothers me enough I'm hoping there's an aftermarket solution. Mashimarho in the PNW offers custom steering wheels for other BMW's that look very enticing.

Regarding the buttons, I think I can live with it. The buttons in my '20 4 series in the center console don't feel the greatest either, and I've been okay with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:46 PM   #12
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
This is how I know I'm getting old lol, I used to do all kinds of upgrades on my previous cars. Custom door enclosures, multiple amps, high end head units, crossovers, custom made sub enclosures. Now the only upgrade I did in my 4 series was add a JL Stealthbox and plug and play harness
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #13
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

Quote:
Had some time today to test drive the X1 I ordered from the end of August. Unfortunately, I did not take any pics. Also, I have found out that the reason BMW are not releasing any X1s until 11/5 is because some of the iDrive 8 components are not complete, including the map and navigation and that it is awaiting OTA updates to get everything functioning before handing it off to customers.

The options are the following:

M Sport Package
Portimao Blue
19" M Double-Spoke Bi-Color Wheels w/All Season
Black Alcantara Interior w/Blue Stitching
Black High Gloss Trim
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Remote Engine Start
Heated Seats and Steering Wheel

So basically every option ticked. I won't get into much of the tech stuff because honestly, I was more focused to find out the most important thing to me, which is how it drives and functionality for day to day duties...

Exterior

I have to be honest, first impressions seeing it drive up was a bit lackluster for me. It's not that it's ugly, it's the way it sits. Even with the M Sport Suspension, this thing sits pretty tall and the wheel gap is noticeable. Noticeable to the point where I think it needs to be lowered by at least another inch. I am hoping there is shipping blocks on the suspension still but I'm not holding my breath.

To me, the best feature of the exterior is the front in M Sport guise and Shadowline trim. I think these are must have options. The grills are big but BMW found a way to blend it in nicely with the rectangle bulge of the M bumper. Very nice lines on the hood and sides that flows all the way into the rear. The redesigned tail lights are also a nice welcome. Besides the wheel gap, this X1 is definitely a step up from the one that it replaces. All grown up and more of an SUV rather than a crossover.

Interior

On to the interior...Most on here know by now that yes, seats do not have lumbar adjustments. Have to say though, I don't think it's much of a deal breaker for me. The Alcantara with sport seats felt very nice and have a stiff and snug feeling that contours to the body. I think for long range driving, these seats will be no issues. I highly recommend this seat option as well.

The fit and finish of the interior is mostly nice and solid. The middle console is a little bit on the cheap feeling side but it's by no means terrible. Having said that, if you want something a little more luxurious, you will have to step up to an X3 or above. For it being an X1, it's fine and I enjoy the minimalist approach BMW aimed for here.

Putting my hands on the all-new M Sport steering wheel was probably one of the biggest gripes I have with this car. The thickness is great but pushing down on the material is very unpleasant. The best way I can describe it is that of a toy car. I hope BMW will come out with an Alcantara M Performance steering wheel because it needs it. Other than that, it's fine and the aesthetics are pleasant to look at

iDrive 8 from what we could use and see is also a nice welcome change. I was not bothered by the lack of an iDrive controller. The reach is really close to the driver and even the HVAC controls were not an issue. The display is also very nice and reminded me of the i4 M50 I test drove back in the Spring. After some seat time, everyone will welcome and enjoy the new iDrive system

Plenty of room in the rear seats, even for tall people. Did not get into the rear seat adjustments or if they slide or not because frankly, my fiance and I will rarely have anyone in the back anyways.

The trunk space was also disappointing, we were expecting more space back there given the size but it's not bad and the rear seats can always be folded down. So not much to worry over in that regard.

Driving

I started off in Personal mode, which I guess is the new Comfort mode. First impressions driving off the lot is it's very smooth and quiet. The 7 Speed DCT is definitely working it's magic here. I heard minimal road noise while driving with a soft engine note in the background that is most likely being sent through the speakers. Power delivery was ok, enough for a daily commute and smooth enough to get you in trouble.

Sport mode is where I will have it set 95% of the time. The adaptive suspension kicks in along with the revs and the car turns from pedestrian into a nice little sporty suv. The engine noise is turned up all the way and again, likely going through the speakers. The X1 has decent power and torque to play around on the back roads. Nothing ground breaking though.

Braking was also a little underwhelming. Pedal travel is pretty long and I feel like it should have a little more bite here.

Summary

Obviously the X1 isn't perfect but BMW did do a good job as an entry level model at this price point. The fit and finish is of good quality and the M Sport package gives the X1 a more sporty feel to an otherwise pedestrian style car. An M Performance model would definitely help if one was looking for a little more performance in this package. I will likely be going forward with the purchase of this X1.

Thank you for reading!

It's funny how different one person's opinion can be from the next. I had no issues with the m sport steering wheel, it felt similar to other m sport steering wheels. Granted, alcantara on the steering wheel would definitely be an upgrade.

I'll get used to no iDrive controller, but I do miss it, as even if reach to screen controls isn't far, it's still a reach.

I'm a fan of the second row seating space, my main tech is telling me it's too small for my unborn child, so eventually I'll be doing a car seat test to see who is right.

I also welcome to rear cargo, it feels larger than the outgoing X1.

For driving, I was impressed with the throttle. I'll also be in sport mode 95%+. But from my 228, with only 15 more horse, it has a noticeable amount more of getup. I tried out the sport boost paddle shifter as well, but didn't notice much when that was engaged, but it was less than a 5 minute test drive.

The sport seats are well worth it.

I wish drive modes had their own individual buttons like I'm used to, instead of being a mode button taking you to the touch screen that you then have to press. I'm sure I'll get used to that as well. I'll also miss the BC button.
Appreciate 1
vinny84292.00
      11-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #14
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is how I know I'm getting old lol, I used to do all kinds of upgrades on my previous cars. Custom door enclosures, multiple amps, high end head units, crossovers, custom made sub enclosures. Now the only upgrade I did in my 4 series was add a JL Stealthbox and plug and play harness

this is a NSFW analogy..... so stop reading if you're at work.

when I was young(high school to college), I was probably undressing women in my mind when I saw them. Come on, which of us didn't do that when we were young men?(or still do... but I'm not judging)

however, it all changed when I got into the car stereo scene. I started to undress car interiors in my mind while shopping for new cars. My mind was always thinking..."hmmm.. .how does that panel come off and how much space is behind there for the 6.5" speakers..?" or "if I strip off this rear deck or truck floor, how big of a subwoofer can I build in there?" or "I wonder what's behind that big glovebox in the dahs, if I strip it off, can I install the equalizers in there?" or "if I rip off the C-pillar cover, is there enough space under there for a couple of capacitors?" It got really bad when I was buying a Mercedes W203 C320 wagon almost 20 years ago. The saleswoman was extremely hot and was basically flirting with me during the whole process.... but my mind was completely on what I was going to do with that car after I take delivery.(ended up putting in over $5000 of aftermarket stereo stuff in there) A week after I had the car, she called me and asked how I was enjoying the car. Then she asked me if I wanted to have coffee that afternoon. Being preoccupied with car stereo stuff at that moment, I think I said something like "maybe another time and I usually drink tea, not coffee".... She never called me again.... It wasn't months later that I realized that she was asking me out. (like I said, I was a stupid young man back then)

back to the X1.... I have yet to test drive one... but every photo or video that I see, I'm undressing the interior again..... (and checking the Crutchfield online catalog to see what I can put in there)

Last edited by bluecrabby; 11-04-2022 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #15
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

Quote:
this is a NSFW analogy..... so stop reading if you're at work.

when I was young(high school to college), I was probably undressing women in my mind when I saw them. Come on, which of us didn't do that when we were young men?(or still do... but I'm not judging)

however, it all changed when I got into the car stereo scene. I started to undress car interiors in my mind while shopping for new cars. My mind was always thinking..."hmmm.. .how does that panel come off and how much space is behind there for the 6.5" speakers..?" or "if I strip off this rear deck or truck floor, how big of a subwoofer can I build in there?" or "I wonder what's behind that big glovebox in the dahs, if I strip it off, can I install the equalizers in there?" or "if I rip off the C-pillar cover, is there enough space under there for a couple of capacitors?" It got really bad when I was buying a Mercedes W203 C320 wagon almost 20 years ago. The saleswoman was extremely hot and was basically flirting with me during the whole process.... but my mind was completely on what I was going to do with that car after I take delivery.(ended up putting in over $5000 of aftermarket stereo stuff in there) A week after I had the car, she called me and asked how I was enjoying the car. Then she asked me if I wanted to have coffee that afternoon. Being preoccupied with car stereo stuff at that moment, I think I said something like "maybe another time and I usually drink tea, not coffee".... She never called me again.... It wasn't months later that I realized that she was asking me out. (like I said, I was a stupid young man back then)

back to the X1.... I have yet to test drive one... but every photo or video that I see, I'm undressing the interior again..... (and checking the Crutchfield online catalog to see what I can put in there)
Have you considered taking up writing professionally
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #16
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saws View Post
Have you considered taking up writing professionally
absolutely not.... I was traumatized in my high school senior year by my English teacher. He was a scary guy... I mean scary as in that I suspected him going to the cemetery and chatted with Edgar Allen Poe at 3AM in the middle of a rainstorm. (and I'm not kidding... he really was that scary and I often wondered how the school board hired him in the first place)

I only write about my own personal addictions: cats, car stereo, binoculars, as well as all the dumb stupid things that I did between age 18 and 26.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #17
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Congratulations to everyone here getting their X1’s! It’s a great car and I’m sure everyone will enjoy owning theirs. Sadly, I just can’t pull the trigger. I ordered an X3 M40i instead today.
Appreciate 2
Kromans1174.00
igott56.00
      11-04-2022, 03:16 PM   #18
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Congratulations to everyone here getting their X1’s! It’s a great car and I’m sure everyone will enjoy owning theirs. Sadly, I just can’t pull the trigger. I ordered an X3 M40i instead today.
Well that's a fair old shift, I've got an M40d its fab but its a big move from an X1, enjoy.
Appreciate 1
vinny84292.00
      11-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #19
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Well that's a fair old shift, I've got an M40d its fab but its a big move from an X1, enjoy.
I've only been here for a week and it seems to me that perspective X1 buyers are all over the place when it comes to other vehicles being considered... myself included.... other 2023 cars/SUVs that I am(or was) seriously considering are:

Toyota 4Runner TRD Sport($51000+ for a living fossil)

Mini Cooper Clubman(worried about what others think about a 6'2" 260lbs guy getting into and out of it)

Mercedes GLA and GLB(as a Merc fanboy, I can't stand the exterior designs)

Toyota GR Supra(no space for a cooler)

Toyota bZ4X(no dealer within 2000 miles has one to sell)

Cadillac XT6(aging design and overpriced)

GMC Yukon & Chevy Tahoe($5000 above what I want to spend)

BMW X1(seems perfect, which is why I'm hanging around here)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #20
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I've only been here for a week and it seems to me that perspective X1 buyers are all over the place when it comes to other vehicles being considered... myself included.... other 2023 cars/SUVs that I am(or was) seriously considering are:

Toyota 4Runner TRD Sport($51000+ for a living fossil)

Mini Cooper Clubman(worried about what others think about a 6'2" 260lbs guy getting into and out of it)

Mercedes GLA and GLB(as a Merc fanboy, I can't stand the exterior designs)

Toyota GR Supra(no space for a cooler)

Toyota bZ4X(no dealer within 2000 miles has one to sell)

Cadillac XT6(aging design and overpriced)

GMC Yukon & Chevy Tahoe($5000 above what I want to spend)

BMW X1(seems perfect, which is why I'm hanging around here)
That's quite a difference in size between the models! My choice mostly came down to what would arrive in time for my lease end and who wasn't charging a ridiculous markup. The X3 would've been my first choice if I could afford it with the options I wanted, but I really wanted to keep the lease payments under $700. If I didn't need to constantly haul around equipment for work, I'd definitely consider the GR Supra, even if getting in and out of the car would be uncomfortable for me lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 05:36 PM   #21
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's quite a difference in size between the models! My choice mostly came down to what would arrive in time for my lease end and who wasn't charging a ridiculous markup. The X3 would've been my first choice if I could afford it with the options I wanted, but I really wanted to keep the lease payments under $700. If I didn't need to constantly haul around equipment for work, I'd definitely consider the GR Supra, even if getting in and out of the car would be uncomfortable for me lol.
I have a Lexus RX lease that was supposed to end in September. In August I contacted Lexus Financial and told them that I was still looking for a replacement vehicle... and due to the pandemic shortage, it could take me a while. They offered to extend it for 3 extra months for free. Somehow the end date became 12/25(yes, Christmas Day).

I called them again in mid-October. They offered to extend it by two extra months, but not free this time. I will be charged half of my original lease payments.(basically pay for 1 month and get 1 extra for free) I took their offer. So now my lease end date is 2/28/2023. I just hope that I can find something(preferably the X1) in time.

If not, I'll have to bring my spare car out of storage. It's a 20-year-old Mercedes C320 wagon(W203) with 90k miles that needs some work(leaky oil filler and upper gasket, front sway bar bushing, as well a badly needed paint job) Although... I get the feeling that Lexus Financial will let me extend again, if I just ask...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 11:15 PM   #22
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have a Lexus RX lease that was supposed to end in September. In August I contacted Lexus Financial and told them that I was still looking for a replacement vehicle... and due to the pandemic shortage, it could take me a while. They offered to extend it for 3 extra months for free. Somehow the end date became 12/25(yes, Christmas Day).

I called them again in mid-October. They offered to extend it by two extra months, but not free this time. I will be charged half of my original lease payments.(basically pay for 1 month and get 1 extra for free) I took their offer. So now my lease end date is 2/28/2023. I just hope that I can find something(preferably the X1) in time.

If not, I'll have to bring my spare car out of storage. It's a 20-year-old Mercedes C320 wagon(W203) with 90k miles that needs some work(leaky oil filler and upper gasket, front sway bar bushing, as well a badly needed paint job) Although... I get the feeling that Lexus Financial will let me extend again, if I just ask...
If you order the X1 now there's a good chance you will receive it by the lease end in February!
Appreciate 0