E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Non Hi-Fi E91 upgrade questions / DLS+Amp or Focal or?

12-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Non Hi-Fi E91 upgrade questions / DLS+Amp or Focal or?

I am not happy with my basic non-hi-fi setup we have here in Australia, just like the UK, it has no tweeters.
Firstly let me start out by saying that I am not a true audiophile and I don't want to go overboard. I just want a clear sounding system with strong punchy bass.
After my searching I have discovered that the original speakers must go.
So a couple of options are:

1. Just the DLS 4" + .8' tweeter
DLS reference PS4 component (low depth mounting) speakers without an additional amp. Would this be OK if I don't want to turn it up too loud and need too much bass. I know that a good strong amp, with plenty of power reserve will always sound better, but how much better?

2. DLS PS4 + DLS Classic 2 way amp
Leaving the standard 6.5" woofers, I would then add an amp to drive the front speakers. I can't really justify the cost of the DLS Reference amp. I don't really want to put the amp in, as I will be installing it, it will be a lot of extra work. Again- is it worth it?

3. Focal 165K VR3
Here I would change all the front speakers, but try to not add an amp. The focals are slightly more sensitive, so the amp doesn't need to work as hard.

I do have a deadline in so much that the local DLS reseller is having a 50% discount on all DLS equipment at the moment, so I am leaning towards option 2.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated, thanks, JP.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
mike_b
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 323i M-sport

Hey JP, a word of advice - If you are going to upgrade, do it right the first time. I've paid the school fees by trying to do a low cost upgrade. It lasted a month and then it was back to the drawing board and ripping the car apart again.

I have the Focal 165VR3 installed now. They are awesome and can handle the lower end of the spectrum quite well. The one issue that I have with them is the tweeter. It's quite harsh. At first I was like WTF!!? Then they after a few weeks of running in they sweetened up a whole lot. The detail of the tweet is remarkable.

DLS is awesome sh*t aswell - and if the dealer is selling at 50% then go for it!

Annother option might be the Hertz HSK 3 way component set. I've heard they are really good speakers.

BTW - in South Africa we get the same audio system with no tweeter. It's not really up to scratch is it.
Appreciate 0