E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Anyone get locked out of 2nd when road racing?

12-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Anyone get locked out of 2nd when road racing?

This is an odd question but hang with me.

Monday when running VIR full course I had tried a slightly different approach to getting into 2nd gear around Oak Tree. Typically I come out of T10 in 4th gear, blip down to 3rd then blip to 2nd at about 5 grand before turning into T11. This has never been an issue.

Yesterday I bliped down to 3rd cut into T11 then drove straight to T11a and tried to blip down to 2nd gear. No matter what, 2nd gear would not engage. Its only on that turn in those conditions. I litterally have to wait till the RPMs dropped all the way back down and then push it into gear.

I dont have a CDV so thats not even in question. Has anyone else experienced this?

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Is the car flat while downshifting to 2nd at 11a? I am thinking perhaps the car is still twisting while downshifting which would slightly twist the transmission relative to the gear rod???
      12-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
sky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

maybe double clutching will help get it into gear?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Two possible issues:

1) you are trying to slam it into second and accidentally moving it too far to the left. basically you're horizontally in the same plane as reverse. Has happened to me before.

2) you need to double declutch because your synchros are hurting.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Is the car flat while downshifting to 2nd at 11a? I am thinking perhaps the car is still twisting while downshifting which would slightly twist the transmission relative to the gear rod???
Its relativlely flat. Regardless Id hope this car is stiffer than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
maybe double clutching will help get it into gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Two possible issues:

1) you are trying to slam it into second and accidentally moving it too far to the left. basically you're horizontally in the same plane as reverse. Has happened to me before.

2) you need to double declutch because your synchros are hurting.
Hmm I was pretty busy concentrating on 10 different things in a very short duration and could have accidenatlly been doing that. Who knows.

Leftocoast said something about double clutching and you said something about double de-clutching. What do you mean by double de-clutching? I dont do either by the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post

Hmm I was pretty busy concentrating on 10 different things in a very short duration and could have accidenatlly been doing that. Who knows.

Leftocoast said something about double clutching and you said something about double de-clutching. What do you mean by double de-clutching? I dont do either by the way.
Double clutching = match revs..take it out of gear...blip throttle again...then downshift

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
sky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
...Leftocoast said something about double clutching and you said something about double de-clutching. What do you mean by double de-clutching? I dont do either by the way.
double clutch is clutch in, shifting out of gear to neutral, clutch out, blip
the throttle to rev match, clutch in, shift into gear. with a little practice,
this can be done in one seamless motion.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Yeah I know what it is but have never seen the use for it. Whats the advantage of bliping with the clutch out in neutral? I simply clutch in, blip and shift to a lower gear (hell toe).

I just have never heard of "double DE-clutching" before.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Looking at it it's a long sweeper? Can't really tell. If you're still pretty G loaded while trying to downshift the transmission is probably shifted.

Quote:
Yeah I know what it is but have never seen the use for it. Whats the advantage of bliping with the clutch out in neutral? I simply clutch in, blip and shift to a lower gear (hell toe).

I just have never heard of "double DE-clutching" before.

Back when synchros didn't exist you HAD to. While the car is in neutral with the clutch engaged blipping the throttle raises the revs of the gearbox so you are able to downshift without grinding the hell out of the cogs.

Try shifting into first from second some time. Probably wont go into gear easily. Then double clutch and it will go in like butter.
      12-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
It has happened to me before, and I believe I have the answer for you.
I am not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure.

Sometimes, I will admit that when I am driving a bit spirited, my adrenaline is going and when I try to go into 2nd under Gs, I push the lever too far over into the reverse area.
Since I am in the reverse area and trying to shift downward then obviously it won't let me.

I say this because it has happened to me a couple times, and the last time I have experienced this, I noticed that all I had to do was let the lever go back to the first/second gate and then I was able to go into second.

Do you think that this is happening to you?

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
It has happened to me before, and I believe I have the answer for you.
I am not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure.

Sometimes, I will admit that when I am driving a bit spirited, my adrenaline is going and when I try to go into 2nd under Gs, I push the lever too far over into the reverse area.
Since I am in the reverse area and trying to shift downward then obviously it won't let me.

I say this because it has happened to me a couple times, and the last time I have experienced this, I noticed that all I had to do was let the lever go back to the first/second gate and then I was able to go into second.

Do you think that this is happening to you?
Im really thinking that may have been what was happening. I only attempted it twice and yes I was being thrown to the left pretty hard. I kept pushing down thinking I was in 2nd when most likely I was not. Stupid huh.

Im leaning against the double-clutching issue since I had no issues going from 4 to 3 to 2 before entering 11.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Im really thinking that may have been what was happening. I only attempted it twice and yes I was being thrown to the left pretty hard. I kept pushing down thinking I was in 2nd when most likely I was not. Stupid huh.

Im leaning against the double-clutching issue since I had no issues going from 4 to 3 to 2 before entering 11.
Ususally it never happens when I go 4-3-2, but it's times where I go from 4-2, while braking under pressure, etc. This is when I try too hard and try to throw it in gear where there's not a gate.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
+1 I too think it is going into the reverse area by accident (I've done this also)

I was told once that when we are under stress/concentration on the track that whatever we think is a 'light touch' on the controls is like a 'gorilla death grip' on the controls

Being extra conscious of the pressure you are applying to the gear lever when trying to go into 2nd will probably make this issue go away
Appreciate 0