E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Modding the E90 - EoL Edition

01-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
sk1939
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335i XDrive

Modding the E90 - EoL Edition

I figured I would start a thread on my late-to-the game E90. I know some people might think I'm crazy for putting money into a platform this "old" but I still think it's cheaper than a late generation + mods. Things I've done so far:
  • Replaced spark plugs + 50k service
  • Professional AWD Dyno Pre-Tune Run
  • Tune by TuningTech FS
  • Professional AWD Dyno Post-Tune Run
  • Installation of Wagner Evo2 Comp intercooler & cat'd downpipe; replaced charge pipe.

Other than replacing the existing style 183's with something else, not sure what else I plan to do yet as far as mods go.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Sounds like a good start. The best thing about these cars is that they provide a better driving experience and more engagement than the new cars in my opinion.

I'd also make sure you are up to date on maintenance and change all fluids before mods.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
sk1939
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Sounds like a good start. The best thing about these cars is that they provide a better driving experience and more engagement than the new cars in my opinion.

I'd also make sure you are up to date on maintenance and change all fluids before mods.
I agree, I wasn't impressed by the later generation BMW's, then again it's hard to be impressed by a 1.6L engine. Maintenance is up to date (minus the wiper blades) and all fluids were done. Only concern was the plugs were gapped to factory specs, and per the tuner, should be different otherwise a shorter plug life might be a thing.

Plenty of power, not sure any other engine mods are possible without replacing the turbos (and losing responsiveness) and or building the engine internals further. Thinking of brake mods or stiffened suspension next, have no plans to do any cosmetics.

Some bits about this car:
Purposely chose an xDrive for maximum power to the pavement. While there are some drive train losses and the loss of ability to do burnouts, it's more practical.
Non-M sport, very late model sedan.
Car is a weird hodge-podge of parts, with the N55 engine, single turbo twin-scroll turbo, and the N54 water pump. Has been dealer-serviced all of it's life, so has a detailed service history as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #4
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I agree, these cars really do hold up to modern day standards with a some relatively inexpensive modding.

Engine mods aside, I recommend the following "quality of life" mods which will update the e9x platform to modern day standards:

- Comfort Access
- Wireless CarPlay iDrive Screen Replacement
- *Viper VSM300 SmartStart for remote start from a key or iPhone
- Heated M Sport seats
- M Sport Steering wheel
- **USB-C with faster charging

*3G Towers are being shut down in the U.S. and this product is unavailable on Amazon probably for that reason. There is probably a newer model with 4G that works on our cars.
**Currently working out data connectivity problems with the USB-C module retrofit but I know at the end of the day I can at least get power only working. But why not have both?

You'd expect all of these features in a new BMW, so why not install them on your old BMW with a beast of an engine? I think I'll keep buying E90s honestly. Like you said, so cheap to mod the engine and there are so many modernization mods to do as well.

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0