E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Safe to track?

11-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Safe to track?

I recently got my RFT Pirelli Euphoria tire (255/40 R17) patched up thanks to nail in the tread. I was wondering if it would be ok to still track the car with the tire patched.

On a side note, my car had some suspension work done when I was forced to drive over a curb at 40 mph, and the shock and some other stuff, like the control arm, needed to be changed on the left side of the car. Since all that work was done over a year ago, and I haven't tracked the car at all, anyone think that there would be any problems doing it now? Car feels almost the same as it did before the accident, just the steering feels lighter (I had to change the rack as well).

So can I track the car in its current condition?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark192 View Post
I recently got my RFT Pirelli Euphoria tire (255/40 R17) patched up thanks to nail in the tread. I was wondering if it would be ok to still track the car with the tire patched.

On a side note, my car had some suspension work done when I was forced to drive over a curb at 40 mph, and the shock and some other stuff, like the control arm, needed to be changed on the left side of the car. Since all that work was done over a year ago, and I haven't tracked the car at all, anyone think that there would be any problems doing it now? Car feels almost the same as it did before the accident, just the steering feels lighter (I had to change the rack as well).

So can I track the car in its current condition?
To me..it all depends on how bad the nail damaged the tire. Conservative thought would say NOT to use it on track. I have used my Goodyear F1-D3s on the street after being patched..but not on the track. I replaced my rear tires just before my last track event in the rain...and that swapped out the patched tire.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

hmm, i suppose its always good to stick with the conservative side of things esp when it comes to safety. I guess I gotta move on those vredesteins then..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've tracked a patched street tire before. The nail was right in the middle of the tread and didn't damage the sidewall. I also didn't drive on the tire flat, even though it was a RFT.

I wouldn't do it with a r-comp, however.
Appreciate 0