Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Debating getting a front lip, any difficulties driving?

08-20-2021, 11:27 PM   #1
PrezRoosevelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Rwd

Debating getting a front lip, any difficulties driving?

Hi all, car is here soon so finalizing what I want to add to the car before I get it ppfed/ceramic. Debating getting a front lip but I've never driven with one on before. I'm not going for any performance benefits nor expecting any.

Does the front lip complete the look of the car or is it just an extra and not needed since the front looks good as is? How much does the front lip change how you drive the vehicle daily?

Car is tanz blue with shadowline and will have the oem CF diffuser, side mirrors and cf spoiler. Don't plan on lowering the vehicle.

Was planning in just getting the black oem lip but suggestions always welcome.

Thanks in advanced.

Previous Car: BMW 2018 i3 Fluid Black with BMW i Frozen Blue accent

Previous Car: BMW 2015 328i Mineral Grey

Last edited by PrezRoosevelt; 08-20-2021 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:05 AM   #2
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

It will scratch and eventually break I got the oem one and it's already scratched and coming off some. I'm pretty pissed considering the price. Next time I'll just get a cheap aftermarket one because no matter what it will get scratched or worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:24 AM   #3
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezRoosevelt View Post
Hi all, car is here soon so finalizing what I want to add to the car before I get it ppfed/ceramic. Debating getting a front lip but I've never driven with one on before. I'm not going for any performance benefits nor expecting any.

Does the front lip complete the look of the car or is it just an extra and not needed since the front looks good as is? How much does the front lip change how you drive the vehicle daily?

Car is tanz blue with shadowline and will have the oem CF diffuser, side mirrors and cf spoiler. Don't plan on lowering the vehicle.

Was planning in just getting the black oem lip but suggestions always welcome.

Thanks in advanced.
You should be fine with just the front lip. I have that and also the cf left and right splitters/fins. I never had an issue with just the front lip unless I was pulling some days of thunder shit ripping outta parking lots with some elevation.

With the cf splitters I'm much more cautious now. Been over a year and they are still in excellent shape. Just need to take it a little easier with speed bumps, parking lots etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:27 AM   #4
PrezRoosevelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
You should be fine with just the front lip. I have that and also the cf left and right splitters/fins. I never had an issue with just the front lip unless I was pulling some days of thunder shit ripping outta parking lots with some elevation.

With the cf splitters I'm much more cautious now. Been over a year and they are still in excellent shape. Just need to take it a little easier with speed bumps, parking lots etc.
Any issues with speed bumps with just the lip? I'm assuming I have to be extra careful pulling into parking spots as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:32 AM   #5
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezRoosevelt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post

Any issues with speed bumps with just the lip? I'm assuming I have to be extra careful pulling into parking spots as well?
Had no problems with the front lip. Shit, even without it I was weary of parking blocks and flying over speed bumps lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:33 AM   #6
Jsun21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 M3, BMW M440i

As long as the car is not lowered, you should
be fine. Also add a sliplo, really helps.

https://sliplo.shop
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

^This. As long as you have no plans of lowering your car, you should be good. It fits very nicely and is it's just thin enough. Oh and make sure to get a lip protector. I got one from IND, a bit pricey but great quality and value for the cost:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...-lip-protector
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #8
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

No issues with mine. I had more issues with the F30 lip.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #9
OffK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i Xdrive

No problems with pothole, driveways, normal parking stops and speedbumps.

Problem with high curb parking spots and a random tire scrap on the highway. I back into spots all the time now to avoid the former, and chalk up bad luck to the latter
Appreciate 1
zazzau766.00
      08-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffK View Post
No problems with pothole, driveways, normal parking stops and speedbumps.

Problem with high curb parking spots and a random tire scrap on the highway. I back into spots all the time now to avoid the former, and chalk up bad luck to the latter
I didn't think of backing in — good idea!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #11
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I got a lip off of eBay on the car. Gloss black, OEM style. I couldn't wrap my head around spending $700 for a lip for a car in NY. Which I'm really glad I did as I managed to scratch the bottom of the lip a couple times pulling into/out of some shoddy built parking lots. The car isn't hard to drive with a lip, non lowered. You just want to use your better judgement when driving around.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #12
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I don't know what country you are from but I live in London and some of the speed bumps are atrocious. I've gone over speed bumps at 1, 2 and 3mph and scraped the bottom of the lip several times and it's really annoying. I've got an aftermarket CF lip.

I've done that to the front of my lip against the pavement going only a few miles per hour. Not sure why but this particular part of the pavement was raised :/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
_E90S65_
Captain
Rep

If you value an aggressive look, go for the lip.

If you value practicality and not having to always angle in / out of driveways or tippy toe around speedbumps / potholes, do not get the lip.

Personally, I wanna drive it like I stole it and not have to worry that a credit card on the road is gonna damage the car. No lip for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #14
TruthOne
Major
Rep

Yeah I'm not sure how nobody has damaged their lip. I'm not lowered and it's very easy to scratch coming out of a drive way. Not even steep. Then you have tall speed bumps and other crap. I actually ran over a piece of rubber from a truck tire and it flew up and knocked the lip loose.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #15
Ajaxxn
Jax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabbypatty View Post
I don't know what country you are from but I live in London and some of the speed bumps are atrocious. I've gone over speed bumps at 1, 2 and 3mph and scraped the bottom of the lip several times and it's really annoying. I've got an aftermarket CF lip.

I've done that to the front of my lip against the pavement going only a few miles per hour. Not sure why but this particular part of the pavement was raised :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabbypatty View Post

Dang! Sry to see that…Yea no front lip for me…Thanks for sharing!
      08-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #16
PrezRoosevelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _E90S65_ View Post
If you value an aggressive look, go for the lip.

If you value practicality and not having to always angle in / out of driveways or tippy toe around speedbumps / potholes, do not get the lip.

Personally, I wanna drive it like I stole it and not have to worry that a credit card on the road is gonna damage the car. No lip for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Yeah I'm not sure how nobody has damaged their lip. I'm not lowered and it's very easy to scratch coming out of a drive way. Not even steep. Then you have tall speed bumps and other crap. I actually ran over a piece of rubber from a truck tire and it flew up and knocked the lip loose.
Well, kind of confirms it for me too now I guess. No lip.

Previous Car: BMW 2018 i3 Fluid Black with BMW i Frozen Blue accent

Previous Car: BMW 2015 328i Mineral Grey
Appreciate 0