E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Anyone drove the C6 Corvette around the track?

11-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #1
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Anyone drove the C6 Corvette around the track?

Looking to buy one soon maybe, but getting conflicting reports.

I know its fast but some people say its quite difficult to drive.

Anyone drove it?
      11-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/09/h...un-collection/

Unfortunately its a test drive you have to pay for.

There was one of these at the track over the weekend. It did fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Yes, I've driven a modified C5 and a stock C6 Z06 at the track.

You need to be patient with the throttle when coming out of turns. The torque is there instantenously, no waiting at all. They are very well balanced and can be rotated through turns quite easily (use oversteer to help turn the car quicker). The brakes are good enough with track pads. If you're getting the C6 get one with the track package (Z51) and you'll get better brakes than the FE1 suspension.

Make no mistake, this car is fast around the track. Check the results of the latest Lightening Lap from Car and Driver. It was the fastest car in it's price range by quite a margin.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-5.html
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
Yes, I've driven a modified C5 and a stock C6 Z06 at the track.

You need to be patient with the throttle when coming out of turns. The torque is there instantenously, no waiting at all. They are very well balanced and can be rotated through turns quite easily (use oversteer to help turn the car quicker). The brakes are good enough with track pads. If you're getting the C6 get one with the track package (Z51) and you'll get better brakes than the FE1 suspension.

Make no mistake, this car is fast around the track. Check the results of the latest Lightening Lap from Car and Driver. It was the fastest car in it's price range by quite a margin.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-5.html
Thanks.
      11-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

sort of late on the reply, but I drove a friend's stock '06 C6 with the Z51 package at Big Willow earlier this year. The power delivery is extremely smooth an linear, and has plenty of pull in the lower rpms, so you don't need to shift as much. Turn in is very good, and the car feels well balanced.

I had the stability control on "competition mode", since it wasn't my car and I didn't want to take too much risk with it. At this setting, the system still lets the rear end step out, and allows some degree of wheel spin before stepping in. I was constantly stepping the rear out (but just a bit) on turn 3 and 6, and felt the stability control kick in a few times coming out of turn 1.

Brakes were excellent, and my friend kept telling me to brake deeper. The only thing I really didn't like was the steering feel. It may have also been the stock runflat tires, but it was hard to really feel the limits of the car. I'm also used to track purpose setups, so the car also felt really soft (but keep in mind, my track car is 2200 lbs and has 500 lb/inch springs). But the lack of feel in the steering meant that I had to approach the limits very carefully, little by little. I couldn't just throw it into the turn like you can an EVO for example. I hear they improved the steering on newer models though, so it should be better. All in all, for a stock car, it was pretty nice, though too soft for serious track duty.
Appreciate 0