E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Induction kit?

10-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
garethr_davies
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 comp conv

335i Induction kit?

Hi, recently had my 335i remapped at Evole - very pleased. Was thinking about an induction kit aswell - is it worth it? Thinking back to my 205 1.9gti days a K&N 57i kit was the way to go, do they do one for a 335i? Or can anyone suggest something else? Or is it not worth it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Have never been a fan of Induction kits, seldom to they actually give any more hP. Better throttle response but you need to ensure you are drawing cold air only, sitting unprotected in the engine bay will draw warm air.

Plus, having had the car remapped without it you might want to talk to the boys at Evolve. I've seen a few re-mapped cars (VAG) that have dropped HP when on the rollers having fitted induction kits after the re-map.

If anything a std fit, upgrade panel filter might help with throttle response.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
RPI induction kit

wsupp guys,

i really like the rpi kit, but heard it does nothing, from evolve as well
Think it looks cool though showing through grill, but function over form in my case. I'm going to add a bmc carbon airbox thing or guruppe m air intake box.
      10-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

I had the gruppeM kit fitted to my Z4, definately made an improvent using my butt dyno!

Also sounded really, really nice as well.

J.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDegrees View Post
Better throttle response but you need to ensure you are drawing cold air only, sitting unprotected in the engine bay will draw warm air.
Lots of info about this on the forced induction pages. The general concensus so far is:

- The stock air box is adequate for a standard car. There is nothing to be gained from changing the stock filter or air box when stock (running 8-10 PSI boost)

- When running a tune (circa 12-15 psi boost) the stock air box becomes a constraint. Ultimately this isn't good for the turbos as they need to work harder to hit boost targets. Harder working turbos also results in higher AITs (Air Intake Temps) which ultimately compromise the power of the tune.

- To improve air flow a high flow panel filter (Helene or BMC) can be used in conjunction with some air scoops fitted in the grill. This solution is still not adequate for high boost tunes (14-15 psi) though.

- A high boost tune really needs a more free flowing intake (AFe, BMS single or a dual cone setup - little difference between these, except for price). These however come with the price of drawing in hot air from the engine bay. There are some Cold Air Intakes on the market, but these are still quite unsophisticated, except for the GruppeM intake which costs over £1000.

- The general opinion is that higher AITs are not as significant on a forced induction car (compared to naturally aspirated) because the intercooler reduces the air temp significantly before it enters the combustion chamber.

- Recent tests have shown that AITs when using the stock airbox on a high boost tune (13-15 psi) are similar to AITs when using an free flowing intake sucking in hot air from the engine bay. These are both slightly higher than stock and therefore compromise performance slightly.

All of the info above led me to make the following decision for my intake. I am running JB3 (upto 15 psi boost). I therefore needed a free flowing intake, not necessarily for the purpose of lowering AITs (as the intercooler takes care of most of the increased temps) but to reduce stress on the turbos. I want them to hit boost targets as easily as possible, this can only be achieved without the stock air box. I decided to get a BMS single cone setup for $95 / £50. In an attempt to reduce AITs as much as possible I have ordered some RPI scoops (from CA Automotive) which I think will displace some of the hot air under the engine bay in an attempt to reduce AITs. The next route would be to invest in a larger intercooler which will reduce AITs back to stock levels when running a high boost tune. Ultimately though, I think this is more necessary when dealing with high ambient temps, which in the UK we don't have too much to be concerned about.

Hope that is of some use. Ben
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #6
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

We have tested RPI scoops with the standard airbox. They did nothing and we have a very powerful fan as anyone who has visited us will testify.

It would be interesting to test whether they make a difference to 0-100/60-100 times. I have my doubts.

The other point is that they block a certain amount of airflow to the radiator.

We are willing to test any intakes people already have for the 335i because we want to find out what really works. In our experience the claims given by US manufacturers are way off the mark. It would be nice to be proved wrong.

So if anyone has an aftermarket intake we would be willing to test it back to back with an OEM box FOC. Just bring your car and both intakes. We will provide a tuned 335i to test the intakes on a tuned car.

It will be a useful excercise to find out what really works.

The only one we offer at the moment is GruppeM because our experience with their products is that they are usually well developed and work well. They are on the expensive side though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

I have bought the scoops, not to increase power - but to do whatever I can to displace some of the hot air under the hood that my intake is sucking in. Even if this results in lowing AITs by as little as 1 degree, that is good enough for me (with low ambient temps in the UK I would think this is feasible). Empirical testing may or may not support this, but from what information I have available to me, it may help strike a balance between increased air flow, lower AITs and preserving the longevity of my turbos.

I realise that they do physically restrict the opening to the radiator - but don't see how they restrict actual air flow to the radiator unless a vacuum is formed between the scoops and the radiator. I would have thought that air flows beneath and behind the scoops and then into the radiator - there may be a little more turbulent air entering the top portion of the radiator, but that is about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

On the E46 the snorkel openings were wide but inside the channels were similar to two 50p coin slots. I'm no expert but if the E92 has a similar set up. Could these not be dremelled to provide better air flow to the air filters?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
We have tested RPI scoops with the standard airbox. They did nothing and we have a very powerful fan as anyone who has visited us will testify.
From what I understand, the stock airbox and filter is adequate for your 0.8bar / 11.5psi remap. I don't think you would notice any real gains running scoops or free flow filter until you start runnig 13+ psi boost.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
go for it
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
in reality, you only need a cone filter if yur sucking serious air.. Now with a just a re-map i cant see this...

If you were running low comp internals a massive GT66 Turbo and custom bits with major boost and 550+bhp then i would then say you would need one.