E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Programmable Steering Wheel Buttons

10-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Programmable Steering Wheel Buttons

Hi

I have one of my steering wheels buttons programmed to select the next audio source on each press. This works fine when switching from FM to AM to CD but it will not select the Aux source. The Aux source is therefore skipped in each cycle regardless of whether I have anything (IPOD or DAB radio) connected to the Aux.

Is this normal?

My car was registered in Feb 07 although I gave only had the car since May.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Hi,

No, my 06 E91 with Prof Nav / iDrive has the steering wheel buttons and bottom one is set to cycle audio source - its goes through FM, AM, CD, Aux - pretty sure it does this even if nothing is connected to the Aux.

J
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks AJD - have you had a progman update since purchase? I am currently discussing this Aux issue plus the missing pop-up arrow Nav issue with my dealer. I am having to spell it out in much more simple language than I ever expected - even after explaining everything in a step by step e-mail.

Tony
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
Thanks AJD - have you had a progman update since purchase? I am currently discussing this Aux issue plus the missing pop-up arrow Nav issue with my dealer. I am having to spell it out in much more simple language than I ever expected - even after explaining everything in a step by step e-mail.

Tony
Tony,

Have a look at the attached PDF- your dealer doesn't need to know anything about where you got it from, ok.

The fact that he will need to carry out a Progman (software) update to your car, free of charge (if the car is still under warranty), is the only thing he should be bothered about.

All the best.

Viv
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SIB846106.pdf (82.6 KB, 413 views)

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

My car had a new progman flashed in Aug 2008 - when I bought the car from a dealer (was a failed attempt to make my iPhone3G sync contacts) - so its got around v30ish I guess (dealer couldn't tell me the exact version).

I don't know whether this affected the operation of the steering wheel button.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the update J - that answers one part of the question.

Thanks Vivekk for the PDF - When I was having problems communicating with the dealer today I e-mailed them a US version of this SIB (which of course says exactly the same thing). Amazingly the tech concluded that the problem was relevant to cars produced in October 2006 (when this SIB states that it supercedes a previous SIB dated October 2006!) and that my car would already have a minimum of CIP 19.1 so wouldn't need updating (when in fact the SIB states that the problem occurs on cars with CIP 19.1 or higher).

I was at least able to e-mail him the SIB and read it out to him - and then confirm that he understood the relevant points!!

He said that US cars might be different (I was then thinking of getting angry - but remained cool) so now at least I can provide a UK version.

He also admitted that they get a lot of customers who know more about the cars than they do. What a surprise when some techs take no professional interest in maintaining their knowledge.

Anyway I will report back Friday evening.

Thanks for all your help.

Tony

Last edited by tmarshall57; 10-30-2008 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Thanks for the update J - that answers one part of the question.

Thanks Vivekk for the PDF - When I was having problems communicating with the dealer today I e-mailed them a US version of this SIB (which of course says exactly the same thing). Amazingly the tech concluded that the problem was relevant to cars produced in October 2006 (when this SIB states that it supercedes a previous SIB dated October 2006!) and that my car would already have a minimum of CIP 19.1 so wouldn't need updating (when in fact the SIB states that the problem occurs on cars with CIP 19.1 or higher).

I was at least able to e-mail him the SIB and read it out to him - and then confirm that he understood the relevant points!!

He said that US cars might be different (I was then thinking of getting angry - but remained cool) so now at least I can provide a UK version.

He also admitted that they get a lot of customers who know more about the cars than they do. What a surprise when some techs take no professional interest in maintaining their knowledge.

Anyway I will report back Friday evening.

Tony
Tony, the SIB is as relevant to UK cars as it is to US ones- the dealers always try to 'pull a fast one', by telling you otherwise.

This particular bulletin- SIB846106, is well known to dealers & they are required to carry out a Progman update under warranty (& therefore free of charge), as it is a known software bug which prevents you from using the nav 'properly'.

If you want to have a Progman update to the latest version, then my adice would be to:

1 Show them the SIB I've provided & to tell them it was provided by 'someone' at BMW UK, contact details of whom you don't currently have (if they ask)

2 Tell them you know it's a software bug which needs fixing under warranty & several colleagues have had the same issue, which has been fixed without any problem

3 Tell them you've got a busy few weeks commuting around the country & would like to have this sorted out as soon as possible

In my experience, I don't usually need to go past point 1, but that's simply because my local dealership's senior tech knows just how painfully persistent I am.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I am absolutely livid.

I e-mailed the SIB to the dealer last night and discussed it with them today. Once again I have had to spell out exactly what I mean and, if they are not sure then go and check the vehicle to see if pop-ups can be toggled on and off as stated in the SIB. I have just this minute had a call back to say that they logged a PUMA with BMW UK and the doc I provided is not a BMW recognised document. They therefore cannot update the software until given permission by BMW UK

I have told them they can have the car until Saturday lunchtime (they have had it since 9.00 Thursday) however they have advised me to pick the car up today.

Thanks for all your help Viv - I am supposedly dealing with major BMW dealer chain here in the North West. Surely they must have seen documents like this SIB before?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Further update: Dealer is now saying the SIB document kindly provided by Viv is not from BMW. Dealer says that the BMW roundel would never be used on such a document and the terms "Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty" would not be used as it is just not BMW language.

They will contact me when THEY have discussed the matter with BMW.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

They should fix the AUX steering wheel thing anyway. Whats their excuse for this not working?

If you have the arrow problem, I can't see why they are resisting this in the face of a the obviously applicable SIB - the car is still in warranty. I'd ring around other dealers, find one that'll do it and threaten to take it elsewhere, never to return with your business!

Which dealer is it? Name and shame time!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Angry

Quote:
I am absolutely livid.

I e-mailed the SIB to the dealer last night and discussed it with them today. Once again I have had to spell out exactly what I mean and, if they are not sure then go and check the vehicle to see if pop-ups can be toggled on and off as stated in the SIB. I have just this minute had a call back to say that they logged a PUMA with BMW UK and the doc I provided is not a BMW recognised document. They therefore cannot update the software until given permission by BMW UK

I have told them they can have the car until Saturday lunchtime (they have had it since 9.00 Thursday) however they have advised me to pick the car up today.

Thanks for all your help Viv - I am supposedly dealing with major BMW dealer chain here in the North West. Surely they must have seen documents like this SIB before?
Quote:
Further update: Dealer is now saying the SIB document kindly provided by Viv is not from BMW. Dealer says that the BMW roundel would never be used on such a document and the terms "Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty" would not be used as it is just not BMW language.

They will contact me when THEY have discussed the matter with BMW.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
They should fix the AUX steering wheel thing anyway. Whats their excuse for this not working?

If you have the arrow problem, I can't see why they are resisting this in the face of a the obviously applicable SIB - the car is still in warranty. I'd ring around other dealers, find one that'll do it and threaten to take it elsewhere, never to return with your business!

Which dealer is it? Name and shame time!
Tony, to put it bluntly, they are talking complete sh*te.
As ///ajd asks, which dealership is it?

The SIB is a recognised bulletin & any dealer, worldwide, should understand its purpose.

The only important part of the whole SIB is the number- 846106- it's a well-known software bug which should be rectified under warranty. They should have an internal network link to identify the SIB document themselves, without having to contact BMW UK.
There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER to initiate a PUMA to sort out this problem.

I've provided similar documents to my local dealer, BMW Cooper in Boldon, & they have carried out work without any problem whatsoever, all under warranty.

If they're going to continue to p*ss about any more, then I'd suggest you try a different dealership, Tony.

You could throw in the odd 'Sale of Goods Act', 'Trading Standards' & 'Klaus Kibsgaard' (BMW UK MD) into the conversation, before telling them where to go.

Good luck.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Dealership is Williams BMW of Bolton.

I will be in Hungerford on Tuesday so will see if Dick Lovetts understand what day it is.

Will post an update as soon as I learn anything new.

I am not giving up on this. I have now e-mailed BMW UK Customer Services with a description of my problem and the reaction of the dealer.

Tony

Last edited by tmarshall57; 11-01-2008 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Update:

e-mailed BMW UK on Saturday 1st November (attaching the SIB PDF kindly provided by Gizze) asking why dealer would not correct the reported known problems by performing the known solution i.e. a software upgrade.

Received phone call from dealer on Monday 3rd November stating that they have received advice from BMW UK and want me to bring the car in so that they can perform a CCC reboot and if that does not correct the problems they will update the software. Car booked in for Friday 7th November.

6th November - e-mail response from BMW UK stating that they have advised my dealer on how to resolve the problem and the issue will be fixed when the car is brought in. The e-mail also stated that the SIB I provided was issued by BMW North America and is not relevant to UK cars. I fully appreciate that some aspects of the car will be country specific but I cannot believe that widely reported faults such as those I reported (and which are clearly identified in the SIB) are not recognised immediatley by the dealer who surely mus have access to the SIB documents which, in turn, cannot be unique to North America.

Saturday 8th November

Picked car up - s/w upgrade applied and everything fixed. i-Drive much more responsive also. Car away for 4 days when could easily have been 2

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well done.

The "US SIB doesn't apply" is nonsense as the cars are basically the same. They were just trying to cover up their blatant attempt to extort money from you and were trying to give themselves a way out. Loved to have been a fly on the wall as BMW GB asked BMW Williams Bolton WTF they were playing at in not fixing your car under warranty. This sort of stuff should lead to dealer franchises being withdrawn. Certainly BMW GmbH in Germany would be horrified if they knew their brand and customer service reputation was being abused in this way by short term greedy UK profiteering such as this. I suppose we should give benefit of the doubt that its just incompetence, but to be honest I'd be surprised if it wasn't deliberate.

Anyhow, glad its fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #15
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just to clarify - at no time did Williams say I would be charged for fixing the faults or that the faults were not under warranty. They basically said the following:

1) We can't do a S/W upgrade unless it fixes a known fault (I'm OK with that - here is a detailed description of a couple of known faults so please do the S/W upgrade)

2) We need to go through the PUMA process with BMW UK as we are not familiar with the faults/solution and we don't recognise the SIB documents you have given us (This is what concerned me as this caused me to have to book the car in again - quite a few hours lost).

Anyway it is sorted - next time I will ensure that they know what their plan of action is before I book it in.

Thanks for listening and helping

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just to clarify - at no time did Williams say I would be charged for fixing the faults or that the faults were not under warranty. They basically said the following:

1) We can't do a S/W upgrade unless it fixes a known fault (I'm OK with that - here is a detailed description of a couple of known faults so please do the S/W upgrade)

2) We need to go through the PUMA process with BMW UK as we are not familiar with the faults/solution and we don't recognise the SIB documents you have given us (This is what concerned me as this caused me to have to book the car in again - quite a few hours lost).

Anyway it is sorted - next time I will ensure that they know what their plan of action is before I book it in.

Thanks for listening and helping

Tony
Glad it's sorted, Tony, even though there has been a lot of bullsh*t spoken to you.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0