E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2006 E90 Airbag Fault 93A8

04-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #1
nbesheer
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46

2006 E90 Airbag Fault 93A8

Hi so I got an Airbag fault 93A8 for Drivers Airbag Stage 1. This is not the OC3 occupancy sensor mat fault.

Ok so car history, its less than 90k miles, no accidents or airbag deployments. Code will not clear when using INPA. However if I induce a failure by unplugging the passenger seat mat, and clearing it, it will clear just fine. So I know INPA is working well.

There isn't too much specific information on this code online but I found on an X3/X5 forum that on the clock spring/harness the two pins for stage one should read ~7.3kOhms and the two pins for stage two should read ~7.3kOhms as well. (https://xoutpost.com/1090807-post1.html)

I am showing 7.4kOhms on stage two and 3.4kOhms on stage one. both on the 6-Pin clock spring connector and on the harness from the airbag module to the clock spring. So I suspect that the clockspring is fine and the problem lies with the harness or module.

However! I do not know if these readings are going to be the same as an X3 or X5.

does anyone happen to have their airbag removed and can check the resistance across pins 1+2 and 3+4 ?

Also how common is it for airbag modules to go bad ? Would updating it to a newer firmware help ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
nbesheer
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46

Solved

Ok I fixed it. The problem was caused by compromised wires.

I went to a junk yard and tested a car there. it was ~7.4kOhms on both the first and second stage. I pulled the entire SRS wire harness separated the two wires in question to 'patch' it into mine and see what happens.

After I removed the center console i saw that the airbag wires were pinched between the console and the metal bracket forming a huge crease with the two suspect wires directly up against the bracket.

I ran my new pair of wires along the harness, and re pinned them into the appropriate connectors and bam everything works, ~7.4kOhms and error cleared with INPA!

I suspect that the wires got pinched when reinstalling the center console after deep cleaning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0