BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

10-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Arrow Anyone here ever get a ticket for window tint?

According to NY law, you can only get 70% on the sides, and only top 6 inches on the front... anyone had any problems with darker tints?

Also, if the front is tinted, would removing inspection stickers scratch the tint?

Last, any rec in NY/NJ?

Thanks!

Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

i've gotten pulled over twice for tints in NY. That was on my 328Ci with 20% all around. I do not plan on tinting the M3 though

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I've had 20% tints all around except the front on all the cars I've owned and have never been pulled over for it nor gotten a ticket for it when I have been pulled over for other infractions....I haven't gotten around to tinting the M3 yet but will probably go w/ the 20% route...don't put more then 6inch in the front that'll definitely throw up a flag

I don't worry about it much or maybe I'm just lucky (knock on wood)

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
tallycoolies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Interlagos Blue M3

I've had 20% on my M3 ever since March but haven't had any problems but I'm from Philadelphia PA, where the 5-0's dont really care much about your tinting other than the crime rate.... lol.. I've heard that Jersey is little more strict about tinting. and BTW any other meetings for NY NJ or PA(?) people?

E92 M3 Coupe\Interlagos Blue\6MT\18"\Technology PK\Premium Sound\Moon Roof\H&R Sport Springs\UUC SSK\GP Thunder 8500K H8 & 12000K HID Xenon\MB Grill\VSR Ti Exhaust\AA X-pipe\AA ECU\AA pulley\VSR CF rear diffuser\VSR CF boot lid\Painted Reflector\Gruppe M CAI\VSR Frontlip\Volk TE-37 19'
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Once on RT. 27 in Easthampton there was a cop standing in the middle of the road pointing to cars and flagging them over. Got pulled over in my truck with 25% tint on front windows along with about 10 other cars at the same time. Gave a ticket, but it got dropped once I pealed the tint off. As far as I know they are not allowed to pull you over for tint since it's not a moving violation. They can only ticket you for it if the pull you over for something else and notice it. But good luck trying to fight it, not worth the effort.
      10-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

i have 20% all around and 50% on the entire windshield and have never had a problem!
      10-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Once on RT. 27 in Easthampton there was a cop standing in the middle of the road pointing to cars and flagging them over. Got pulled over in my truck with 25% tint on front windows along with about 10 other cars at the same time. Gave a ticket, but it got dropped once I pealed the tint off. As far as I know they are not allowed to pull you over for tint since it's not a moving violation. They can only ticket you for it if the pull you over for something else and notice it. But good luck trying to fight it, not worth the effort.
lol i guess i better keep moving once i get tints
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
lol i guess i better keep moving once i get tints
haha yea. But this happened to me while I was moving. Cop was in the middle of traffic that was going 45 MPH. He was a little over excited to write some tickets I guess.
      10-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

As both a cop (NJ), and an M3 owner (tinted of course) I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

In NJ you can not tint your front windows. There is actually some confusion about this, even within law enforcement, because some believe that you can not tint any window in the aftermarket, and some feel that the front two windows are off limits, but the rest is fine (the NJ statute seems to address only the front windows, but I have seen documentation that bans all windows as well).

As for being ticketed or stopped for window tint, it is absolutely, 100% legal to stop a vehicle for just about any infraction, be it a moving violation (speeding, no signal, etc) or an equipment violation (no front plate, window tint, air freshener from mirror, aftermarket exhaust systems, etc.).

Having said all that, I haven't been stopped in my M3 for tint (40% - just liked the way it looked on the Space Gray) or no front plate yet. My sister's 335i has 5% tint, and I have gotten stopped driving that at least 5 times. I do work with several guys that will use window tint as a reason to stop a car and see if anything more illegal is going on, but generally if the driver is respectful they wouldn't actually be ticketed for it, or I might stop a guy for driving Mach 1 on the road, and rather than a 6 point ticket, just write him a $50 window tint ticket.

If you get stopped just stick to "yes sir, no sir, sorry sir" and you should be cool. Plus, most cops are car guys, so as long as you do something tasteful to your car, hopefully they will leave you alone
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
As both a cop (NJ), and an M3 owner (tinted of course) I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

In NJ you can not tint your front windows. There is actually some confusion about this, even within law enforcement, because some believe that you can not tint any window in the aftermarket, and some feel that the front two windows are off limits, but the rest is fine (the NJ statute seems to address only the front windows, but I have seen documentation that bans all windows as well).

As for being ticketed or stopped for window tint, it is absolutely, 100% legal to stop a vehicle for just about any infraction, be it a moving violation (speeding, no signal, etc) or an equipment violation (no front plate, window tint, air freshener from mirror, aftermarket exhaust systems, etc.).

Having said all that, I haven't been stopped in my M3 for tint (40% - just liked the way it looked on the Space Gray) or no front plate yet. My sister's 335i has 5% tint, and I have gotten stopped driving that at least 5 times. I do work with several guys that will use window tint as a reason to stop a car and see if anything more illegal is going on, but generally if the driver is respectful they wouldn't actually be ticketed for it, or I might stop a guy for driving Mach 1 on the road, and rather than a 6 point ticket, just write him a $50 window tint ticket.

If you get stopped just stick to "yes sir, no sir, sorry sir" and you should be cool. Plus, most cops are car guys, so as long as you do something tasteful to your car, hopefully they will leave you alone
Thanks for the input, sir. Perhaps next time I will offer the officer a test drive
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

I grew up in Union County and always had tint on my cars. Never been pulled over for my typical 35% tint but I suspect I will be getting pulled over more for the 20% tint on the new m3. Cops will hassle you ALOT more in Bergen/Hudson counties... State/County police don't really care about tint...

Again, most cops are just pulling you over to check up on you if you're not doing anything wrong in the first place or are in a bad neighborhood with a nice car. If you check out ok, you should be fine as long as you're not a dick.

Just do what lugnut said... yes sir, no sir stuff... just don't call a Trooper an Officer and check out the name tag for the Lt. or Sgt. or learn what the stripes/lines on their uniform mean as to not call them Officer if their rank is higher than that. Some municipalities don't do the name tag prefix thing and knowing what the stripes/lines on their uniform will go a long way.

When you get pulled over -
- Two front windows down
- Interior dome light on
- Turn car off
- Left hand out window
- Right hand on steering wheel

When you go to the glove box to produce your documents, tell the officer what you're doing before you do it...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

i got pulled over last night in manhattan like 1 block before the midtown tunnel for my tints
Appreciate 0